AFR help, Wideband now installed, am I too lean??

bigwave

Established Member
03 cobra, high flow cats, cat back 2.5 magnaflow, 2.76 pulley, CAI, SCTx4 tuner with bama tune.
Cruising AFR 14.5-14.7 from 30 mph to 75 on interstate.
WOT: starts around 13.8 and creeps down to 13.4 up to 6500 rpm.
Am I too lean on top? I prefer safe over a few HP.

Thanks

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Assuming the wideband is functionally properly.....that's stupid lean WOT for pump gas.... could easily roast a piston. Stay out of the throttle and dump the bama. Get with a real custom tuner that will require datalogs from you.....you'll end up with a much better, safer tune in the end.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Assuming that was a mail order tune with no verification or wideband? Scary stuff, I'd stay out of boost till you get that fixed, way to lean.

bigwave

Established Member
Thanks fellows, and that is exactly what I was thinking as well, the only difference is I went from a 2" cat back flowmaster to a 2.5" cat back magnaflow, not sure if that could have made a 1 point difference or not, when I had BAMA do the tune, I told them to error on "safe"; but obviously it's not "SAFE".

bigwave

Established Member
I do not disagree, my issue is the nearest tuner I've found to me is almost 2 hour drive and would keep the car for 5-hours to 2 days. Major PIA.
But, the that inconvenience is minor compared to the cost of a new motor or major repairs :-(

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I do not disagree, my issue is the nearest tuner I've found to me is almost 2 hour drive and would keep the car for 5-hours to 2 days. Major PIA.
But, the that inconvenience is minor compared to the cost of a new motor or major repairs :-(

That's the beauty of "remote" tuning....you don't have to leave your driveway or your neighborhood. No reason to drop your car off anywhere....you will work with the tuner remotely via datalogs and email. Trust me, you will become more part of the process and understand a lot more about your car in the end....and end up with a superior product.

04sleeper is a great remote tuner to work with.

https://www.facebook.com/04sleeper-Tuning-1618318315139724/

bigwave

Established Member
"That's the beauty of "remote" tuning" Well, that is why I bought the SCTx4 with free custom tunes for life. But, I'm running into strange issues, they are trying, and keep sending and adjusting my tunes; I ask one person and I get "oh yah BAMA is great" and the very next person says "Remote tunes suck, you have to take it to a dyno tuner". I'm trying to stir all this info together and produce a result that works for me. I will say that working with BAMA has already taught me more about tuning than I ever thought I would know, I now understand many of the readings from the data log and I'm learning more all the time. That is also what is so great about forums like this, everyone's ideas and opinions keep you sharp and your mind open towards, ideas, thoughts, and the strange stuff I never thought about.
Which is awesome, I bought this car to, learn from, tinker with and most of all to have fun!! I'm an analyst for a living, I enjoy all the info and ideas, lots of experience here, which is awesome.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Here's my opinion on things....

A remote tune done with a reputable tuner is just as good, if not better than a dyno tune. The dyno operator datalogs just like you do during the remote tuning. So as long as the tuner knows that they're looking at they can adjust the same things that the dyno tuner can adjust.

The reason say it might be better is it's in real world conditions. Things can change from the dyno to the street. In fact most dyno tuners I know still end up driving around to tweak the driveability.

So as long as you know how to datalog your remote tune will be just as good. As C6Z said, you'll learn even more about the car. And you can use the datalogging as a way to troubleshoot. Something I've done in the past.

As for Bama tunes, supposedly my car came with a Bama tune. I don't know for sure because I never got the tuner with it. But when I datalogged it I found the A/F was a little leaner than I like (12:1) and the timing was soft. I think it was around 13 degrees under WOT. I retuned the car myself and it really woke up.

Users who are viewing this thread