AED Tune with no mods worth it?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Quick question. Does the AED tune keep the engine braking feature that the trackey has? Sometimes I swear I feel the engine braking feature when driving with my AED lopey idle tune

Boss949

Established Member
Curious as to what you guys mean by bricking the car. I'm guessing the ecu surges while installing the tune and throws it into an in-escapable limbo?

Bricking: During the tune process, there is a slight surge in voltage; an error light comes on the dash: check voltage system (exact wording?).

Nest on the tuner; a failure warning with instructions ; if car will not start, return to stock tune.

The car did not start, and I couldn't load stock tune; you do not want to run the stock tune with CAI, runs to lean and can cause damage.

There is a procedure for disconnecting battery, I'll have to find it or I'm sure someone who knows it can post it.
I think I disconnected battery, turned the headlights on for 20 min. ???

After the disconnect battery procedure, the car started and proceeded to load or change the tune with no issue.

I use the trickle charger now every time and have had no further issues.

Boss949

Established Member
Quick question. Does the AED tune keep the engine braking feature that the trackey has? Sometimes I swear I feel the engine braking feature when driving with my AED lopey idle tune

I'm pretty sure that the characteristics of the TracKey are not and cannot be duplicated by any other tuner. FRPP has done a good job of locking that tune. I had my TracKey for a year and used it 95% of the time; there might be some engine braking in the Lopey, but nothing as aggressive as the TracKey.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
AED is an awesome tune, VMP too! cant go wrong with those...nothing againt bama either but they seem to be/feel more of the entry level stuff.

when the ECU voltage is too high, it wont let the programmer write tunes to the ECU and since its unlocked the ECU at this point...it "bricks" the car.

Deranged2013

Established Member
Oh, sorry misunderstanding. I had the AED lope tune. I was given the chance to get the track key tune installed for $200 since the dealer somewhat lied to me about the car already having it. Was a misunderstanding on both our parts.

Sounds like it is worth the time waiting until spring and having AED tune it for the lope with cat deletes if the track key doesn't sound as good.

Thanks!

I thought you had ran the AED lope tune before but wasn't sure when you asked the previous question. The trac key sounds good but doesn't compare to Shaun's tune. The only reason I have the trac key is because it came with the car. For now it's good. I'm waiting until I make my mind up about which way I want to go as far as moding before I get tuned. If I go with cams or a TVS I will be taking the car up to Revauto for a dyno tune but for anything else, I will stick with Shaun's tuning.

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Curious as to what you guys mean by bricking the car. I'm guessing the ecu surges while installing the tune and throws it into an in-escapable limbo?

Mine would just throw all the lights on the dash and not load the stock or custom tune.

Also Shaun said stock airbox is fine he actually likes it.

Posted via Topify using Android

Boss949

Established Member
Mine would just throw all the lights on the dash and not load the stock or custom tune.

Also Shaun said stock airbox is fine he actually likes it.

Posted via Topify using Android

My BAD: I went back to my emails with Shaun and he said "if I want a CAI, now was the time to do it".

So, I was under the impression that a CAI was necessary and it is not. Sorry.

Boss949

Established Member
Lots of people do CAI, TB, exhaust, etc. when they tune. I am wanting to know if just the AED tune alone is worth it.

Jabooh1:

I mistakingly said the CAI was a necessity for AED tune.

Sorry for the error.

The AED is definitely worth it.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I already have an SCT device so it really is just the tune. Just a little hesitant on giving up the warranty.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
My BAD: I went back to my emails with Shaun and he said "if I want a CAI, now was the time to do it".

So, I was under the impression that a CAI was necessary and it is not. Sorry.

no worries, just had me worried since I sold a $350 CAI to use the stock box instead and you had me freaking out I made a mistake.

65sohc

Established Member
My peak hp gains using 91 octane:
stock CAI with AED tune +7 hp
Steeda CAI with AED tune +20 hp.

Last edited:

Jabooh1

Established Member
So how does it work... You pay X dollars for the tune. Then if you change something it is the same price for another tune? I wanted to do each mod with a Dyno in between. This would add up if it is $250 each time.

65sohc

Established Member
The only car I have driven with TracKey is the Boss Track Attack car. At 4300 ft. altitude those cars are way down on power and don't feel fast at all so I really don't know what the TK is like. In my experience the difference between stock and just the AED tune is subtle, so if the TK does anything at all, and I assume it does, unless you plan on modding beyond a CAI I don't see any reason to ditch the TK.

Last edited:

65sohc

Established Member
So how does it work... You pay X dollars for the tune. Then if you change something it is the same price for another tune? I wanted to do each mod with a Dyno in between. This would add up if it is $250 each time.

If you are referring to AED, I paid the initial fee and later when I added the CAI he sent me a revised tune at no additional charge.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member

Basic bolt ons should be a free tune revision. Major changes require paying again.

65sohc

Established Member
Someone on an old thread stated that the TracKey tune and an aftermarket tune could co-exist on the PCM but elsewhere it says that if you tune with SCT you lose TracKey. Does anyone know which is true?

Boss949

Established Member
If you like your TracKey, you can keep your TracKey…….with a caveat. Couldn't resist.

If you purchase an Airaid CAI with the MVT (Venturi Sleeve), then yes.

The MVT is used only on stock tunes (includes TracKey).
MVT installed and car returned to stock tunes: use Silver or Red Key.

Take the MVT OUT and use Custom Tunes.

ps. since I've gone to AED tunes, I haven't had the desire or need to use TracKey.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread