AED Tune with no mods worth it?

Jabooh1

Established Member
Lots of people do CAI, TB, exhaust, etc. when they tune. I am wanting to know if just the AED tune alone is worth it.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Which one is better: aed or Bama?

AED by a tenfold. Bama tunes straight are awful. Ran one for a year and a half on my GT and switched to AED. Was a night and day difference.

Shaun will be tuning my Boss come spring when the weather is nice again for datalogging. Maybe sooner if we have a nice couple days.

I could go on and on about all the reason AED is better. When he tunes the Boss it will at most have cat deletes and that'll be it. Might be stock if I do it sooner.

Deranged2013

Established Member
But is there a noticeable difference between stock with track key and stock with AED?

I have the track key for now and it really doesn't feel like it increases power any. I like to run it and the lope idle is cool but it's not like running a custom tune. Night and day difference. I just sold a GT that I ran an AED tune in and it ran way better than my Boss does now with the trac key. Not even on the same level, but the GT had a few more mods. ENOUGH debating over it. Just give Shaun a call.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I have the track key for now and it really doesn't feel like it increases power any. I like to run it and the lope idle is cool but it's not like running a custom tune. Night and day difference. I just sold a GT that I ran an AED tune in and it ran way better than my Boss does now with the trac key. Not even on the same level, but the GT had a few more mods. ENOUGH debating over it. Just give Shaun a call.

Not to thread jack, but did you run AED Lope tune on the GT? If so, does the track key lope even compare?

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
I personally have not tried this on my 12 boss, stock with tune... I did think about it hard... I have had the larger throttle body, cold air intake, long tubes... all that is cool but a Boss with the track key and a 75 shot of funny gas... now thats cool... <---- NX express says no tune needed for under 100 shot and 50 on a tuned car

Its your 500-600 bucks(tuner and tune) to do it stock...

Last edited:

RangerDLA

Established Member
I've had both Trac Key and AED and AED makes the car pull like a freight train and it's much much smoother. You don't realize how invasive the engine braking is on the street until you go with AED. Seriously, I'm extremely skeptical by nature and the AED tune is the best.

Last edited:

Deranged2013

Established Member
Not to thread jack, but did you run AED Lope tune on the GT? If so, does the track key lope even compare?

Yes and Aed lope had the same performance as the performance and drag tune but with the lope at idle. Aed lope tune sounded much better than the trac key lope. Should be a bunch of videos on YouTube of the AED lope tune idling.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Yes and Aed lope had the same performance as the performance and drag tune but with the lope at idle. Aed lope tune sounded much better than the trac key lope. Should be a bunch of videos on YouTube of the AED lope tune idling.

Oh, sorry misunderstanding. I had the AED lope tune. I was given the chance to get the track key tune installed for $200 since the dealer somewhat lied to me about the car already having it. Was a misunderstanding on both our parts.

Sounds like it is worth the time waiting until spring and having AED tune it for the lope with cat deletes if the track key doesn't sound as good.

Thanks!

Boss949

Established Member
Lots of people do CAI, TB, exhaust, etc. when they tune. I am wanting to know if just the AED tune alone is worth it.

I had the TracKey and really liked it for all the reasons: performance/engine tracking/ lopey tune.

However, the AED is way better. AND you must use an aftermarket CAI with the tune. Shaun recommends Airaid. The Airaid also comes with a Venturi Tube, which is used only when using the Stock or TracKey Tune.

Since I've had the AED installed, I haven't desired to use stock or TracKey at all.

If you are going to go with AED Lopey Tune, then you also have to get Cat Deletes (Jegs Performance Cat Deletes are an easy install and work great)

AED is absolutely worth it and Shaun is awesome to work with and great customer service.

If you go with the Tune invest in a 2 amp trickle charger (SCT situations) to use when tuning. Make sure your headlights are in the off position. Tune your vehicle at home.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Since when do you have to have an aftermarket CAI?

When I asked him about tuning my Boss told him it might be 100% stock, maybe cat deletes and he didn't tell me anything about an aftermarket CAI.

?????

trickle charger seemed to only be a 13+ issue, unless the Boss 302 were different. Headlights off, doors closed, radio off and air system off and almost always no issues. Tuned my 11GT that way near 30+ times with zero issues. I did brick it, but that was Bama writing faulty tunes.

If anything, save your stock tune to the computer pretty much immediately so incase something does happen SCT can write you a recovery file.

Boss949

Established Member
Since when do you have to have an aftermarket CAI?

When I asked him about tuning my Boss told him it might be 100% stock, maybe cat deletes and he didn't tell me anything about an aftermarket CAI.

?????

trickle charger seemed to only be a 13+ issue, unless the Boss 302 were different. Headlights off, doors closed, radio off and air system off and almost always no issues. Tuned my 11GT that way near 30+ times with zero issues. I did brick it, but that was Bama writing faulty tunes.

If anything, save your stock tune to the computer pretty much immediately so incase something does happen SCT can write you a recovery file.

I'm positive about the CAI. Sometimes the Tuners assume we know the answers to ?'s .

I've bricked my car a couple of times. Once my fault (auto lamps). I've talk to SCT and they acknowledge a problem with 11+ 5.0's including the Boss. A problem in the charging system. The SCT tuners are made in China.

Anyway, trickle charger does the trick and stops that phantom voltage surge even with all lights, accessories off, etc..

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I'm positive about the CAI. Sometimes the Tuners assume we know the answers to ?'s .

I've bricked my car a couple of times. Once my fault (auto lamps). I've talk to SCT and they acknowledge a problem with 11+ 5.0's including the Boss. A problem in the charging system. The SCT tuners are made in China.

Anyway, trickle charger does the trick and stops that phantom voltage surge even with all lights, accessories off, etc..

Not sure why he would need an aftermarket CAI too tune it. No one else really does. Bama doesn't and lund doesn't. I know cause I know people running both those tunes, albeit with GTs running the boss intake, with stock CAI. Granted Shaun may do something different.

Regardless I shot him an e-mail. Gonna be mad if that is the case, sold my JLT CAI as I wanted to run the stock airbox for lower AITs. Will have to save for a CAI ontop of everything else if he tells me otherwise. *sigh* haha.

Honestly rarely hear of 11 or 12 model years bricking from the voltage issue. That didn't even seem to ever be talked about until the 13s came out and people were bricking them left and right. Another topic for another thread though I suppose.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Curious as to what you guys mean by bricking the car. I'm guessing the ecu surges while installing the tune and throws it into an in-escapable limbo?

86Fbody

Established Member
Curious as to what you guys mean by bricking the car. I'm guessing the ecu surges while installing the tune and throws it into an in-escapable limbo?

Probably if the tune is writing and the power drains to a point where the ecu loses power it kills the ecu.

Users who are viewing this thread