Advise on having a car shipped.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
BCA792F5-B6F7-4DFB-8FF7-0059A925FC2D.jpeg
I requested and payed for an enclosed trailer for mine and lucky that’s how it came. There was a cherry k5 blazer and a new m5 in the trailer aswell.

bullitt2735

Established Member
Looks like I'll probably have to ship both my cobra and bullitt next summer as I'll be moving, Going to contact Reliable per everyone's advice..What's the ball park people have been paying per car? Drive should be roughly 2000 miles austin to portland, discount for two cars?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I shipped one car from the Phoenix area to SW VA and had one shipped back, in an enclosed trailer, for a little over $2,000.00 each way. It was a bit over 2,000 miles. I don't know about a multi-car discount. I think it's more about weight and distance, so probably not.

Zemedici

Established Member
Looks like I'll probably have to ship both my cobra and bullitt next summer as I'll be moving, Going to contact Reliable per everyone's advice..What's the ball park people have been paying per car? Drive should be roughly 2000 miles austin to portland, discount for two cars?

no problably not - you pay for the real estate on the man's trailer. And he's going to have the same labor (loading / unloading) as with any other pickup. They get paid by the mile, so not really a way to get a discount, ya know?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
My car from California to Mass was $1600 I believe.

einehund

Established Member
I paid $800 for shipping from Colorado Springs to Galveston. Don't remember the company, and it was an open trailer. Just throwing this out there for a price comparison.

GodStang

Established Member
I used a broker a few times. The key thing to remember is if you go straight to a company (Reliable/Montway/etc) you will way over pay. The car I got 2 months ago I went straight to each and got a quote. The two listed above wanted $1600 for an open trailer from Iowa to SC going straight through them. I went to a broker and listed. Best deal from a big name was $1400 on day 1. I sat on it for 4 days and got one of the best ones for $800. Montway dropped to $825. So using a broker over going straight to Montway/Reliable I saved $800 shipping.

I did the same thing a year ago and shipped from Bellevue, Washington to South Carolina for $1000.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
"Over pay", reduces risk. Montway was the broker that sent an open trailer, when an enclosed was booked a month ago.

An example of how budget carrier doesnt work: I got a car from CA to MA for $1400 (cheap). It was a convertible, and had to be shipped with the top down (car has a hard toneau). It went on a soft sided "curtain" style trailer, arranged by the seller (I didnt know this until it arrived). The side curtain was "broken" and the driver went through a "dust storm" in the midwest, and the car arrived in HORRIBLE condition. To make it worse, there was a POS car above, and it leaked oil into the interior. Luckily none of the trauma was permanent, and the car cleaned up. The "over pay" companies provide a VERY different level of quality. I now have probably shipped cars ~20 times.

If your car had been driven in the rain, and is a very nice car, but not concourse (or similar), maybe a broker is ok. What I usually ship, Im not chancing it. Your money, choose whats right for you.

dom418

Established Member
I’ve used Intercity Lines and Reliable. Both are excellent but expensive. You get what you pay for so don’t go with the cheapest carrier. Would not recommend a broker, too risky.

I went with Intercity because they would transport extra tires, exhaust etc outside of the car where Reliable would not.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
In my post #6 on page 1, The two times I used Intercity it was $800 each time. But this was many many years ago.

I think the $1/mile is a good approximation, seeing how Detroit to Boston was just about 800 miles and Boston to Atlanta about 1000 miles. Again, this was back in the early 2000’s.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on what you want to pay. I used broker to ship from Milwaukee to Minneapolis. Cost was $500. Communication was not great as you deal with the broker, who deals with the truck. I gave very specific instructions and had it taken straight to my tuner and was happy with transaction though. Now looking at something new and would use a broker for this one too.

GodStang

Established Member
"Over pay", reduces risk. Montway was the broker that sent an open trailer, when an enclosed was booked a month ago.

An example of how budget carrier doesnt work: I got a car from CA to MA for $1400 (cheap). It was a convertible, and had to be shipped with the top down (car has a hard toneau). It went on a soft sided "curtain" style trailer, arranged by the seller (I didnt know this until it arrived). The side curtain was "broken" and the driver went through a "dust storm" in the midwest, and the car arrived in HORRIBLE condition. To make it worse, there was a POS car above, and it leaked oil into the interior. Luckily none of the trauma was permanent, and the car cleaned up. The "over pay" companies provide a VERY different level of quality. I now have probably shipped cars ~20 times.

If your car had been driven in the rain, and is a very nice car, but not concourse (or similar), maybe a broker is ok. What I usually ship, Im not chancing it. Your money, choose whats right for you.

I think you missed what I said. Went straight to Montway for a quote and they Quoted $1600. I went through UShip.com broker and Montway quoted $825 after 4 days. Same distance, Same Vehicle, Same Company. If I paid the full $1600 I would not of gotten any different driver or any "better" service. The "Over Pay" would not of reduced risk.

That being said if it was a high dollar car I was shipping I would of done enclosed and paid extra.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You get what you pay for.

Reliable is the only company I have ship my personal cars.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I would recommend Reliable, based on reputation, and United Routes, based on personal experience. Both provide different types of transport options, including enclosed trailers.

United Routes was a couple hundred less than Reliable. Communication and flexibility for pick-up/delivery was excellent and delivery was ahead of schedule.

I had direct communication with the driver. I was in contact with the driver several times during each delivery run and he provided me with regular updates.

I get nervous just dropping my cars off for oil changes, so I wasn't looking forward to giving someone a car for a week and not being able to check on it. The constant communication made the process much easier for me.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
The only time I ever had an issue shipping a car was when it came enclosed. The car came from the factory on an open car hauler.

Users who are viewing this thread