Advice/Opinions on a 2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Well I am currently trying to make an educated life decision. I currently drive a 2010 EVO X with 450whp. Love the car, great in all weather, just has no trunk space, small gas tank and I find myself continuing to dump money into it.

Looking for a bigger house and a truck would help with removations, instead of renting one. Plus the overall things I can do with a truck are endless.

I was looking into diesel trucks because I want it to last 300,000 miles and have the power to pull whatever I want or do whatever I need.

Now that my rant is over, I have been doing research on the 2008+ F250 turbo diesel pickup trucks. What are your thoughts and opinions on this truck, the good, the bad, the ugly.

I have my eye on one. 2008 F250 turbo diesel FX4, crew cab, short bed. Little more miles then I like 54,000, but it's clean.

Here is a link:

Cars for Sale: 2008 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab Super Duty in Ocean, NJ 07712: Truck Details - 291331005 - AutoTrader.com

What is a good price. $30K Out The Door?

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Common problems with the 08 F250/350 6.4 diesels

Diesel Particulate filters clog easily causing power loss

Water in the fuel lines

EGR problems

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I was looking at 06/07's but the 6.0's have so many issues and I am looking at the 08's now as well. Bob Bell in Bel Air had several nice F250's and you can get a F350 for almost the same price

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Common problems with the 08 F250/350 6.4 diesels

Diesel Particulate filters clog easily causing power loss

Water in the fuel lines

EGR problems

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I was looking at 06/07's but the 6.0's have so many issues and I am looking at the 08's now as well. Bob Bell in Bel Air had several nice F250's and you can get a F350 for almost the same price

Thanks for the link and info.

tistan

Established Member
My boss has an 08 with the 6.4, and has had 0 problems out of it. It has about 55k miles on it now. His 06 with the 6.0 was forever setting off check engine lights. That thing was in the shop every 2-3 months. The 08 drives better and the motor is quieter than the 6.0. The only thing that sucks is that the 6.4 only gets about 14mpg and 11mpg towing, and the 6.0 got 17 mpg and 14mpg towing.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Dusten on here had one. Never said anything bad about it.

I've heard they respond great once you ditch the emissions bullshit.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I loved my 6.0 PSD. Had very few problems with it but from what I've seen I must have gotten lucky.

I've heard pretty good things about the 6.4 - only drawback IMO will be price of fuel which looks like it will be going up in the near future. When you pay 100+ per fillup it HURTS!!

But that will be any truck. Diesels are more fuel efficient, last longer, and have better re-sale value. On the other hand, when the warranty wears out and it breaks they can be pricey to fix. IMO the positives outweigh the negatives. I can't wait to own another diesel myself!!

GL

poppakap

The Anti Rice
Established Member
I have an '08. It has been a great truck. I've pushed it real hard towing and there have been zero problems with it. I recommend it. My only concern is how short lived the 6.4 was. I hope that there isn't problems going forward getting work done on it.

Lifted07Duramax

Established Member
I will not talk crap on a Ford diesel but I will say I love my dmax and out of all the other guys I know with dmaxs we rarely have any problems that hit your pocket big time.
Most issues come with throwing a tuner on it and beating the shit out of your truck. Which I refuse to do, I want mine to last

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My son-in-law has either a 2008 or 2007 PSD. He loves it. I've been in the truck and it's awesome. Downsides are fuel mileage and cost of fuel. It's a torque monster!

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
On most forums, the guys having problems have modded the truck power wise, lifted them, and beat the shit out of them. Now, they need to be driven and not babied but I see guys all the time stock going 250K miles without issues.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
The only thing that sucks is that the 6.4 only gets about 14mpg and 11mpg towing, and the 6.0 got 17 mpg and 14mpg towing.

Wow. I have been wanting a diesel but not now. My 2000 F150 with the 5.4 get 14 mpg and 12 - 12.5 towing the Cobra on a HD car trailer. I'll keep my gas truck.

BAD351W

Established Member
The Duramax, and Cummins diesels will get better mileage then the 08-10 Powerstroke without a doubt.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys. I am very curious to see what the price of Diesel will go to.

Considering my EVO takes 93 and when I fill it up It cost roughly $30 and I get about 220miles before my fuel light comes on.

I hear Diesels get $500 + miles to a tank but cost $100 to fill up. Not too much worse when you think about it.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
They were offering about 8K in rebates on the '10's.
I've been looking for a Ford truck for a little while now, and honestly a lot of the 1-3 year old trucks are selling for the ~prices of brand new rebate trucks. Granted it'll depend on availablity but you might be able to find a new '10 still on the lot?

M3xpress

Established Member
I've been wanting a nice diesel for a while, and I'd love to have an '08 F250, haven't heard anything negative about them and the 08-10s are the best looking F250s IMO.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Moved to the correct forum.
Travis (SID297) has a 6.4L, I can't comment as I have a 6.0L and have loved it so far.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I'm in the search for a 08-10 6.4 myself. Stock they are ok but get horrible fuel economy with the dpf regin. However doing a Spartan tune, dpf delete, intake and egr stuff fuel economy shoots up dramatically and 600hp and 1100ft will get the trailor moving. Lol. Other issue is the inner liner of tank deteriorating with use of some diesel products which cause debris to become lodged in injectors from the lift pump failing. As I understand it diesel treatment or staying away from B20 you are fine. But some one who is more versed in them could chime in and set me straight.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The Duramax, and Cummins diesels will get better mileage then the 08-10 Powerstroke without a doubt.

This is mostly due to these two engines being placed in far lighter trucks than the Ford.

Werd...my Cummins on 35s gets around 14-16 in town and 18-21 on the interstate

That is a pre-08-emissions 5.9. Not really a fair comparison.

The SVTP F-350 is an 09. It's a great truck. The dpf delete made it a different vehicle. The 6.4 is a good engine, I'd buy it again.

Users who are viewing this thread