Advice on Spark Plugs

How2003cobra

Established Member
Hi

I need advice on Spake Plug. I am the orig owner of a mostly stock 03 cobra. What plugs should I use and most important what is the gap size.

Thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As already mentioned, don't go crazy with this. Keep it simple since you're at factory boost. I recommend NGK TR6 copper plugs and set the gap around .040. I used to get mine hand snug plus around 1/4 turn with your socket wrench. Some folks only do a tight hand-snug. Do NOT over-tighten.

Also, don't use anti-seize! Here's some info from the NGK website.
NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.

How2003cobra

Established Member
Cobra Bob Thank you.

Question since I am changing the SC Idler pulleys should I also Change the accessory belt and pulleys ? 77,000 miles no hard pulls ( for years my daily )

Users who are viewing this thread