advice on how to proceed - Built 4v or coyote swap

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Gen 3 yote swap and done. Will make 500whp N/A with ease if you want or withstand 800whp F/I in stock form for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays.

Coyote parts are cheap and your resale value will be higher with the upgraded powertrain.

Badaz01

Established Member
Do some deep research into the Coyote swap first. I was on another forum where a couple guys did the swap and both said it was way more expensive than expected.

Personally I'd build a 4v and boost it. But that's just me.
I agree. I’m in the process of building my 4v 01 cobra as some of you may know. The coyote was gonna cost me right around 12k all said and done and yea I’d get 450ish or so stock but it’s never enough. Boosted 4v built on e85 refreshed heads ran me about 18k but you’d be Atleast 20k in the coyote with a blower set up doing it right.

Badaz01

Established Member
Long story short. Ive had i started the idea of building a 4v for boost about 7 years ago before life got busy. Fast forward to now, and cost for a coyote drivetrain have really went down and the support for the swap is growing faster a surprising rate.

What i have now:

The car is a daily driven 2001 Gt that i want to park to restore/upgrade.
I have a complete 99 cobra motor and $1300 with the builder right now, we haven't done anything in 7 years so i think its time to decide now between the 4v or a coyote. (1st or 2nd gen coyote would be ok)

In other words, I need to decide on continuing with this build, pulling out completely, or transfer the funds and sell the 4v in favor of another project.

Cost to finish the build is an additional 4500, with 2700 to install. Planning on keeping it manual and upgrading to a 6 speed.

Goals:
Car would be driven half the year, with maybe a track run or two. I haven't thought about this in a very long time. Maybe im not asking myself the right questions anymore. Im looking for some guidance or advice. I would say my budget would extend as far as it needs to within reason, as in not spending more than the cost of a coyote powered mustang, which is still about 25k+ in my area.
Build the cobra motor it’s a beast with boost and your price range will be fairly close but man I love the old 4v sound.

Users who are viewing this thread