Adjustable cam gears false triggering

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Man this really sucks, I feel your pain. This is why I recommend the Cloyes gears. They are better all around, not just for this issue particularly. They have other better features also. The Cloyes are more money, but when this stuff happens and the life of your engine is on the line. Its worth the extra $$$

s351

Established Member
Ya Dave it sucks big time. I didn't know about this sensor issue before getting the "ymr" sh*t. The spacing seems to work as no codes show up and I've started it and shut it off at least 10 times without any codes. It's just scary that that's the fix I have to try. I mean once the sensors tightened in it's solid it's just nuts that it has to come to these types of fixes.

Taking the motor out and changing the gears would be the 100% way but, The money and time just doesn't make sense to me I'm not rich, and I just paid for the rebuild. To take the motor out and bring it back to the builder to re degree it again seems crazy to me all do to bs parts.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
kindof a joke. Youd think the guy posting those on this site might see this and step in. I know its more common to see neg feedback than pos but holy crap, all I see is bad stuff about those guys.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Space it out and move on. Iirc it only takes one washer, maybe two. Had a similar issue on some comps. Takes all of 45 seconds to complete the job.

I understand your frustration, but this is sadly par for the course on must aftermarket parts.

I recommend and install cloyes in everything I build.

s351

Established Member
I know it's not a hard thing to change it's pretty simple, it takes about a 3/16 spacer. I Just couldn't really find any examples of fixes for this issue, as no one really talks about this stuff. I was just looking for some reassurance that I was on the right track with my fix.

s351

Established Member
Putting the stock gear on requires the motor coming out of the vehicle, and the having to get the cam re degreed which = a lot of money.

1badton

Established Member
Still new to the site and don't post much but if the cam sensors are still picking up a signal you should be fine. On the old 7.3l powerstrokes international actually had brass shim kits to set the gap on the cps. And should keep sh*t out better. But I do agree they should come up with a fix maybe SS bolts who knows

Sent from my SCH-I605 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

s351

Established Member
Ya so far so good, since I've moved it out 3/16 no codes on multiple starts and shut offs, I'm assuming it would be throwing a code if it wasn't picking up any signal just like if it was unplugged. So hopefully all is good and I figured away around this issue. I actually read a bit about the 7.3l shimming the cps last night when I was researching my issue.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I have the Comp gears and they throw the code to, I looked for ever and couldn't find a fix. So all I need to do is add another O-ring?

The only options I found was installing the Cloyes gears or having the tuner turn it off. Neither of which I was excited about doing.

s351

Established Member
On the first page I posted a picture hopefully it still shows or you might have to press the quote button. Basically you can put a couple o-rights or washers over the shaft to space put the sensor. It's a trial by error one o-ring didn't work so I tried 2 it pulls it about 3/16 of an inch out and doesn't throw the code anymore so I'm hoping it's good to go if you can't see the picture pm me your # and I'll text you a picture.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
zxp0uQE.jpg

Yea I can see it in the quote, I'll see if it fixes mine.

s351

Established Member
Try one and then move to 2 if it's still throwing the code. Start and shut the car off a few times to make sure it doesn't pop. I just disconnect the battery after it pops to reset the comp. And then try 2.

s351

Established Member
Also remember to put a couple little washers behind the screw as well so it's not pulling on the sensor

s351

Established Member
Well I called MMR today and they simply passed the blame to someone else and to call them. I asked about the part which was an MMR adjustable timing set, there answer was we no longer sell that, so I said well you sold it to me and told them about the false triggering issue, and they said they have never heard of that being an issue before and no one in the shop has either, complete bs I've read about it now on at least 5 other threads from different forms.

I said well your gears are causing this issue, he says well we've never had to deal with this issue and have no fix, so call romac the company that makes the gears and talk to them oh and by the way they are an Australian company so ya dial up world wide and spend more money. Don't list your parts as MMR parts just say you're a 3rd party vendor. Your add should say Romac not MMR gears.

So I just gave up, for a company that strictly build modular motors, that's all you do, you guys sure don't know anything about the parts you pimp and say are so great all over these forms. You just pass blame onto someone else and play stupid. I called and was nice and got told to call Australia. You so called modular experts can't even answer a simple question.

You have lost a customer, I'll never order from you again, any questions that get asked about your parts they will get told the truth. I don't care if the mods get mad, these guys don't give a **** about there customers, and spam products they don't even have info on.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Dont feel bad. Youre helping let other people know that MMR sucks. Same crap from them every time.

s351

Established Member
Yup lesson finally learned. Hopefully more people learn from my mistake and steer clear from them

Users who are viewing this thread