Adjustable cam gears false triggering

s351

Established Member
Hey guys, looking for advice, Put the car back together new motor, cams, and fired her up. car is throwing the mystical p0340 code cam position sensor. After doing some reading I've learned that adjustable gears with the allen head bolts to adjust can cause a false trigger. I tested the alternator, switched the sensors did all the basics.

I now have switched my attention to the adjustable gears which not the comp gears they are made by another well known company let's say "ymr" mods please don't delete I've read other forums with this same issue and they never reply or do anything to fix this issue except say there part couldn't cause this. If I start the car with the sensor unplugged, it takes 2 starts and it throws the p0340 code, If I plug the sensor in, it does the same. Now if I put 2 o-rings over the sensor which pulls the sensor about a quarter inch out there's no false triggering or codes being thrown is this a true fix for the issue or an extreme hack. But what this proves is the gears are causing the triggering.

I'm pretty pissed right now that the correct fix would be pulling the motor and switching the adjustable gears, and getting the cams re degreed which is a lot of money, as I just got that all done and paid for, and now a company has a product that they sold is causing an issue which I doubt has any fix besides taking it off or the company saying there's no way our gears are causing that issue.

So After all that reading is spacing the sensor out a safe fix?
I have pictures of the sensor with o-rings if anyone could post it

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
you can just drag and drop from your phone or a pc. I think its imgur that you cant use if its a hosting site.

s351

Established Member
I tried to upload off my phone but svtp is saying the files to big I'm going to try the other way

s351

Established Member
zxp0uQE.jpg

s351

Established Member
Ya I have read 5 different threads about guys having issues which is complete bs that companies can sell this shit and there's no help or fixing by them. I've read one where the guy spaced his sensor which corrected the issue but is it safe to do it like that I mean it looks like it fixes mine but, you pay thousands of dollars for a companies part to not work and create false triggering? Why should I have to take a part a freshly built motor and then switch out a part and then pay to have it re degreed because of a companies terrible r & d, because I highly doubt they are going to do anything about this issue except say its not there part causing it.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya man I found one as recently as 11/2016 and no response from "ymr".

If its not leaking Id say roll with it. Unless you can put plastic caps over the bolt heads that wont deteriorate. Whatever is easiest I suppose

s351

Established Member
Ya that was my other thought, putting a dab of silicone or rtv on the bolt head but I'm pretty sure going through that hole to do that will be a capital B. Really frustrating to have a bunch of money into something and it not be perfect.

Is the picture I posted showing up?

s351

Established Member

MG0h3

Established Member
weird. Quoted it and it shows up. Saw Cobra694 do it but not sure what is actually happening.

Ok it did show up but not anymore. If you get a clean signal and it doesnt leak screw it. Id start a thread so others know though.

Crappy deal.

s351

Established Member
I'm kind of hoping this thread takes off I'm getting sick of people getting screwed. I mean I'll be calling "ymr" Monday but I'm pretty sure they are going to do or say nothing and if that's the case it should be guns a blazing and they should be put on blast. The mods should leave the thread up so people know that's the point of car forums knowledge, the forum sponsor thing is bs if it get's deleted. This is a serious issue that to correctly fix would cost a lot of money, which it still might cost me if this spacer doesn't work.

MG0h3

Established Member
I totally agree. I think the site/mods want to see something attempted to be worked out with the vendor.

Id conduct everything via email so there is a written record.

s351

Established Member
I'm calling monday and I'll send an email as well so there's actual comfirmation in written form so it's not my word against there word via phone call. I just talked to one of the more well known guys in the mod motor world and this is definitely an issue with these gears. He agreed and said he's seen the spacer as a "fix" and said try it he's seen it work. And he said he's seen numerous threads deleted when a certain groups involved.

04Cobra03

Established Member
So do the comp gears do it too? I heard of this problem so I never installed my comp ones. I thought that you only had to switch out the allen bolts on the cam gear to non magnetic metal ones. I called comp and they told me they never heard of the problem so I figured it was just the other brand. I did touch my cam gear allens with a magnet and they were attracted. If these are good and you want them I'll sell them for $150
IMG_1729_zpsmarjighv.jpg

s351

Established Member
Thanks for the offer, but the comp ones have the same issues, the spacer is working right now so I'm going to try that. If it goes bad I'll use oem or cloyes. I just went on "ymr" website and look at that the don't sell the ones I have anymore which I bought this year, they now only sell the cloyes gears, I'm pretty sure that says something about there parts.

s351

Established Member

s351

Established Member
Ya one of the forums a few years ago has a thing on the comp gears where someone finally got one of the comp reps to say there was an issue with them but that was a few years ago. My advice is if the adjustment screws are inline with the mark on the gear run away from them. If you look at the cloyes the adjustment points are away from the trigger mark.

Users who are viewing this thread