Adding Cooled Seats

SVT12GT500

Hey,
Im trying to find research on adding cooled seats to my 12 GT500. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can add the cooling part to the leather seats in the GT500 and if there is any write ups about it. Thank you so much in advance. All the information that I am seeing is for adding new seats and I do not want to replace the seats that I have.

Comp04svt

Established Member
There isn't any ducting from the HVAC system on the car, however, there is ducting within the seat assembly as a separate system. Typically there are two separate fan assemblies on each seat, one for the lower cushion, and one for the seat back cushion. Underneath the seat cover there would be a "mat" in between the seat cover and foam, with a duct that runs from the "mat" to the blower/fan. Then of course a module/s and switches to control it all. Some of these systems also incorporate the heating portion within the same blower assembly, and some use a separate heating pad instead.

So it would probably be a bit difficult and expensive to add to a car.

luker669

Established Member
I was also thinking about doing this.
I was going to just have the fans no ducting except to grab air from below seat.
I think any air would be better than none

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It'd be easier/cheaper to find one that had it, and trade cars.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I can tell you cooled seats were not an option on a 2012 GT500. If it was an option on a different mustang model, I'm sure parts would be available, but a dash switch would also be part of the factory package. I've had heated and cooled seats in my trucks and leather seating surfaces are perforated for air flow. I was under the impression the cooling comes from ducting from the a/c system. I doubt a fan would do anything but make noise.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can tell you cooled seats were not an option on a 2012 GT500. If it was an option on a different mustang model, I'm sure parts would be available, but a dash switch would also be part of the factory package. I've had heated and cooled seats in my trucks and leather seating surfaces are perforated for air flow. I was under the impression the cooling comes from ducting from the a/c system. I doubt a fan would do anything but make noise.
My research found that some vehicles have ventilated seats and other vehicles have cooled seats. Both types have a series of chambers inside the seats. Ventilated seats blow air into the chambers, while cooled seats have the air blow over a cooled surface and then into the seat. Perforations in the seats allow the air to reach the occupant. I'm pretty certain that my '16 Edge has cooled seats and not ventilated seats. I have 3 cooling settings for the driver and passenger seats.

luker669

Established Member
My f150 definitely has fans that go on when I put the ac seats on

luker669

Established Member
I would definitely disagree with that.
Cooled seats are an option I’d never buy a car without if I could .

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
My f150 definitely has fans that go on when I put the ac seats on
I'm pretty sure there are ducts from the a/c system that come up into the seat that rely on the blower fan for the a/c system. I have a service manual for my 2015 F-150, so I will look up how it's configured.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Jim is doing this with stuff from the 10-12 Taurus. Thread can be found at TMS.

LEXiiON

Users who are viewing this thread