Added air to air intercooler to my Kenne Bell

mbuono

On-Track Instructor
Established Member
Dyno results at bottom of page​

Needed to find a better solution to cooling my KB at road course events. Since 95 KB's don't come with intercoolers, I have been using water/methanol injection for the past 3 years with some success.

So what I did is welded plate inside blower manifold which forces the air into outlet tube on driver side of blower then to intercooler and finally back to lower intake manifold.

Just got it all hooked up this week and now need some major "Tweecer" tuning to get it running properly. Then will be able to log some intake temps to see what kind of improvements I get.

Mike

DSC03130.2.jpg
Intercooler.JPG

Last edited:

DDL 2004

1st Sunburst SN-95
Established Member
Awesome job!

Please keep us update... I'm about to begin my install and would like to know if you obtained any gains over your water/methanol injection.

SVTDarin

Established Member
You couldn't have plumbed it so it sucked from the drivers side through the intercooler then in to mass air meter?

mbuono

On-Track Instructor
Established Member
SVTDarin said:
You couldn't have plumbed it so it sucked from the drivers side through the intercooler then in to mass air meter?
There are a number of different ways I could have plumbed it, but this seemed the least expensive and less fab work to it. This project has cost only $600 so far.

Mike

ilumo

Master of going off topic
Established Member
good job.... but the only thing about this if you use the SAME setup is that you will more than likely LOSE boost though the piping. The pressure that you measure at the blower outlet will probably be much less than the pressure you see at the intake, assuming that you have sealed off the pipes decently. If not, then you're gonna have some problems. For a turbo, this is fine, because they can just adjust the wastegate to allow more/less boost. On a supercharger application like this, you will need to manually swap pulleys. So you might want to go a few sizes lower to get the same boost. Just dont overspin that blower. good luck!

mbuono

On-Track Instructor
Established Member
Well heres the lastest. Found out that the couplings I used to connect the pipes were not up to the task and first time into the boost one split right in half. So had to order some good ones, like 4 ply silicone. Which of course takes a week to get here then had to find time to replace them all.

But as luck would have, work was slow today and got busy putting the last few on. So took the long way home to test and everything looks good.

Now for the good part, after warming up the motor (and rear tires) got temp readings between 140 and 150 in the intake and it was 92 outside. These were done on some 3rd gear pulls on the freeway. Did see temps reach 190 while sitting in traffic. So to compare to what I had before, I saw temps at 230 to 240 with water/methanol injection doing same 3rd gear pulls.

On the downside I lost 2# boost, was running 12# before and now only see 10#. The other tuning issues I have is getting some of popping out the exhaust on hard decel.

Now I have to get my new SCT meter on, since I was pegging my Univer at 4200 rpm, then will put it on the dyno and run it down the 1/4. Don't have any road course events this summer but will keep you posted. All-in-all am very pleased with results so far.

Thanks for the support,
Mike

240_Bullitt

Ford Tech
Established Member
u should patent it then show kb or any of the roots blower companies and allow them to use it but get a percentage off of every kit...ull make bank for something u wanted to do...and u do nothing else for it

mbuono

On-Track Instructor
Established Member
Faster150 said:
hurry and get a patent before someone else like KB whipple or eaton does...
Actually KB did make something like this years ago, but realized the tuning issues would be too much for the average joe and so wouldn't be cost effective.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread