Added air to air intercooler to my Kenne Bell

mbuono

On-Track Instructor
Established Member
Spent some time on the dyno yesterday.
Of course their are always issues to sort out. Like first 2 pulls motor just went flat on it's face at 5200 rpm. Luckily my friend GDAVENPORT was there and saw the rubber elbow tube on throttle body collapsing. So after some reworking and a silcone elbow was able to fix the problem for the most part. Looks like will need custom tube made.

Next issue was A/F meter on dyno was off by a full point to my LM-1. Mine was in passenger side O2 sensor port and dyno a/f sensor was in driver side O2 port. So we decided to switch and see what happens. As it turns out my driver side is reading .5 leaner then passenger side. Now I recalibrated mine LM-1 and still saw a difference, so not sure which one to believe.

Anyway, this is the same dyno I've used before and without making any changes in boost and adding 4 degrees timing I got 458 HP / 540 TQ which is 15 more HP and 40 more TQ then before. Plus is was a brisk 98 degrees out yesterday.

So am pleased in results with intake temps 100 degrees lower. However have realized that this tubing and fab work is at it's limit, couldn't get any more boost into manifold by changing pulley and saw almost no HP increase.

Dyno1.jpg

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
nice man, its great to see work like that done yourself... but like everyone said, patent the idea!!!
:rockon:

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
I'm not too familiar how all the boost works in these blowers since i've stayed 100% in the N/A business, but don't you have a 347 with that kenne bell? I know you're running low boost, but i'd think your combo is good for well over 650whp. I know since you're a road racer, that much power on the track really is overkill without the proper suspension/tire setup, but i guess what my question is what's stopping you from throwing on a smaller pulley for more power now that you have the cooling power to do it?

The Foe Hammer

Established Member
mbuono said:
Dyno results on last page​

Needed to find a better solution to cooling my KB at road course events. Since 95 KB's don't come with intercoolers, I have been using water/methanol injection for the past 3 years with some success.

So what I did is welded plate inside blower manifold which forces the air into outlet tube on driver side of blower then to intercooler and finally back to lower intake manifold.

Just got it all hooked up this week and now need some major "Tweecer" tuning to get it running properly. Then will be able to log some intake temps to see what kind of improvements I get.

Mike

DSC03130.2.jpg
Intercooler.JPG

Well, I don't think my Kmart Blue Light Special toolbox can tackle that one. That looks like it took a lot of think through. Looks complicated as hell but nice ass job. :rockon: I guess I'll throw my used milk jug and vacuum hose idea away.

mbuono

On-Track Instructor
Established Member
fiveo'cobra said:
I'm not too familiar how all the boost works in these blowers since i've stayed 100% in the N/A business, but don't you have a 347 with that kenne bell? I know you're running low boost, but i'd think your combo is good for well over 650whp. I know since you're a road racer, that much power on the track really is overkill without the proper suspension/tire setup, but i guess what my question is what's stopping you from throwing on a smaller pulley for more power now that you have the cooling power to do it?
I did try smaller pulley and got no more boost. The tubing and fab work to the manifold is at it's limit for airflow. But still a work in progress, so will keep trying.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread