Accidentally destroyed my mirror on my newly bought Cobra. Need some advice/help

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
So I was installing an MGW shifter. I had my ratchet and extender on. When I went to put it back in my tool box, guys I literally have no Idea how I did it. I smacked the mirror full on, pushed the glass into the mirror and it grenaded. The mirrors as I’m sure you guys know are specific to the Cobra and are pretty much Unicorns. So far I have ordered the standard mustang Mirror for that year and I’ll be hopefully transplanting the guts into mine. Any parts you guys think will work besides that to get it back up?? The mirror only has a chip in it so I think I can use it again, but the motor is boned. Any advice would be amazing, and I’d appreciate it. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member

Kind of my point though. I should have said a cheap one is a unicorn. I digress. I don’t want to spend 500 dollars on a mirror. So I’m asking the mechanically inclined, and individuals that have a great knowledge of Ford parts for an alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I thought the folding housing was unique but assumed all the guts were the same (glass, motor etc...)

01yellercobra

Established Member
The motor inside is the same for all of them. I used one from a spare GT mirror I had. Maybe a glass shop can make a new mirror if you end up needing one.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Ok great. I think I found the part number for the motor but it says pretty much world wide out of stock. I think the mirror is usable. I'm considering buying another side mirror assembly just in case I destroy the first "patient"

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok great. I think I found the part number for the motor but it says pretty much world wide out of stock. I think the mirror is usable. I'm considering buying another side mirror assembly just in case I destroy the first "patient"

if a new motor cant be found I'd hit up the pull and pay

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
FYI. Some recent eBay Cobra folding mirror sales. Three sold for under $300. If you can be patient, you'll likely snag one for under $200 if that's of interest to you.

Feb. 3 - $425.00 (both mirrors)
Jan. 17 - $299.00 (driver's side mirror)
Jan. 3 - $325.00 (both mirrors)
Dec. 31 - $225.00 (driver's side mirror)
Dec. 10 - $395.00 (both mirrors)
Dec. 3 - $220.00 (driver's side mirror)
Dec. 8 - $399.00 (both mirrors)

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Heres a Foxbody mirror rebuild write-up from a forum member here (Mike).Not sure if it helps or not.
Power Mirror Rebuild

Thank you! Thats pretty cool. Even though its for a Fox the guy ended up basically doing what I thought to do. Bought a new manufactured generic Fox mirror and swapped everything over. I pray to god its that easy. I just bought the damn thing.

01yellercobra

Established Member

The motor is pretty easy. I had to replace mine when I broke it trying to get the glass off to change the pad. You don't need to pull the wiring through. Once you get the motor unscrewed you'll see where the harness plugs in. Makes life a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread