Accepted My Death, Trippy

canibus

Established Member
As some of you know. My work is in new construction of high end homes. It has taken me to parts of southern california that very few people will ever see. Not to mention all the crazy ideas some of these wealthy people have for their homes. Anyway, Last wednesday we went out to Pasadena to look over a new project. We were in the middle of the meeting when a disaster alarm went off. The contractor told us that the property next door was also being worked on and that they might be working on the alarm. We ignored it for about an hour.

Suddenly it started talking, and I quote. "THIS IS NOT A TEST, I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A TEST. AT 10AM LOCAL TIME, NORTH KOREA LAUNCHED A NUCLEAR MISSILE THAT IS BELIEVED TO BE HEADED TOWARDS LOS ANGELES. IMPACT IS BELIEVED TO BE IN AN HOUR AND A HALF TO 2 HOURS. PLEASE EVACUATED THE CITY IMMEDIATELY IN AN ORDERLY FASHION, OR REACH THE NEAREST BOMB SHELTER IN YOUR AREA. PRESIDENT OBAMA IS SET TO SPEAK IN 30 MINUTES, ALL RADIO AND TV STATIONS WILL BROADCAST THE PRESIDENTIAL SPEECH.

Holy ****ing shit. Half the jobsite left in a matter of minutes, the rest of just just stood there trying to get our phones to hook up to the internet. There was no reception in the area, which freaked us out even more. Eventually more and more people left until there were only 3 of us.

My first thought was, "We're ****ed. If in fact this is really happening, no one is getting away. In minutes the freeways will be parking lots, and I refuse to die there. I might as well stay here and wait for it." I kept thinking over and over on how I was going to say goodbye to my loves ones, and I just couldn't come up with the words. I kept trying my phone and it just wouldn't work. Then it finally hit me. "i'm going to die"

It is the craziest feeling in the world. Your body goes numb, you get cotton mouth, you shake uncontrollably and your mind is racing. Suddenly I reached a calm like never before, a nirvana type feeling. " I looked up into the sky and said with the biggest smile "bring it, jr. In a few hours the good ol USofA is going to level your entire country for this. And if there's life after death, i'm coming after you for ruining my day."

Corny I know, but it was such a perfect moment, I just can't describe it in words. About 15 minutes later, cars pulled back in. They said that they checked the news and no one was saying anything and that it must have been some type of false alarm. Talk about the best news you've ever heard.

Thinking back on it now, it's scary to think that these alarm company's already have something like that recorded. Pretty much saying that it's inevitable. Anyway thought I would share my near death experience. How would you guys have handled the situation. Did I handle it correctly?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
what the ****.

If there was a nuke launched at any city, im sure youd hear the airhorns and within seconds you could probably hear the entire city erupt in chaos and panic.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Haha this is SVTP. I had to say it. I think somebody was ****ing with you hardcore though.

That was not a near-death experience. Maybe an eye-opener but a near-death experience is defined by possibly being dead or close to death for a short amount of time, then being brought back to life.
As for doing it correctly, I can't say. Is there a way to do it correctly?

canibus

Established Member
what the ****.

If there was a nuke launched at any city, im sure youd hear the airhorns and within seconds you could probably hear the entire city erupt in chaos and panic.

Airhorns were on for about an hour before the message. We thought the alarm guys were tweaking the alarm, then the message came and scared the crap out of all of us. This house is so far into the pasadena hills that any noises from the city were impossible to hear.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
This reminds me of when I was in Basic and the DS's told us that North Korea has invaded the South and we were all being reclassed to 11b (Infantry) and going to Korea right after AIT. They kept it up for about a week.

Some people in the Battery were freaking out.

canibus

Established Member
Haha this is SVTP. I had to say it. I think somebody was ****ing with you hardcore though.

That was not a near-death experience. Maybe an eye-opener but a near-death experience is defined by possibly being dead or close to death for a short amount of time, then being brought back to life.

Perhaps, but had it been real. You could make the argument that my experience before the missile hit was "near death"

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
That's scary to think about. Sometimes since I am living on base in Okinawa... an attack from North Korea is possible. Some mornings I wake up and the sirens are going off all over base... I'm like, well crap is it an attack, or is it a test? Hopefully it will always be a test, but you never know what that crazy korean kid in power will do with daddys toys.

TorchMach

Established Member
That's crazy, I would have freaked out worse then you did...I would say you did well.

I live 15min away from Pasadena and know if something like that were to ever really happen....we're not going anywhere.lol

LostRealist

Established Member
Well that is definitely scary, to say the least. I would probably have said something along the same lines as you while looking toward the sky. It's interesting that I found this thread tonight, because I had a similar experience just a few hours ago. I leaned over to give my wife a kiss goodnight, and heard a muffled rumble. Seconds later she whips back the covers and released what had just made the frightening noise under the sheets. Disoriented, I barely made it to the door, gasping for every available oxygen molecule my lungs could inhale, as she turned 3 shades of purple from laughter. Near death experience? I think so. :lol1:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
EAS false alarms don't occur often, but they do happen, if that is what this was. "On February 1, 2005, someone activated an EAS message over radio and television stations in Connecticut telling residents to evacuate the state immediately. Officials at the Office of Emergency Management announced that the activation and broadcast of the Emergency Alert System was in error due to possibly the wrong button being pressed." I wonder if something similar happened in the area you were working in.

Users who are viewing this thread