AC Charge

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
So, went and charged the AC this morning. Compressor now kicks on, but not blowing cold at all. Thoughts? Damn drivers window will not work either, tried the slam/button deal. Stupid car.

beau t

Established Member
Did the other compressor grenade? If so did you also replace the orfice tube and flush out the lines? Not a AC guy but these are things i see getting done at 1 of my buddies shop when he messes with them. Also pulling a vac before filling.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
No comprssor issue, car just sits at least 6 months at a time. Compressor kicks on, only took about 10lbs for that. I have have gauges, charged to almost 50. Did it myself. Had issues with this window before Bob. Need to pop the door panel, just so stinking hot lately.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Need to fix mine too. Just need a damn scrader valve, but the parts store tried to give me the wrong part.

fitforspeed

Established Member
So, went and charged the AC this morning. Compressor now kicks on, but not blowing cold at all. Thoughts? Damn drivers window will not work either, tried the slam/button deal. Stupid car.

SELL IMMEDIATELY, do not delay as this is an extremely important issue!!! Ok probably not the answer you are looking for. Like op suggested maybe have a reliable shop pull it down and recharge to ensure you have the correct fill of Freon. I had some issues with my system a while back and finally took it to a shop. Once the guy hooked it up to the machine and pulled it down and recharged with proper level of Freon worked like a charm. I will volunteer to come down and drive it for you at least every 3 months until you decide to sell to me haha. I have replaced many a driver side window motors also. If you replace, ONLY use Oem Ford and keep the original. I would see if the original can be rebuilt as a spare. It seems replacement parts these days are never as good as the original ones, even Fords stuff is sometimes chyna junk packed in a Ford box.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Need to fix mine too. Just need a damn scrader valve, but the parts store tried to give me the wrong part.
That seemed fine Paul. Still had little in it.
SELL IMMEDIATELY, do not delay as this is an extremely important issue!!! Ok probably not the answer you are looking for. Like op suggested maybe have a reliable shop pull it down and recharge to ensure you have the correct fill of Freon. I had some issues with my system a while back and finally took it to a shop. Once the guy hooked it up to the machine and pulled it down and recharged with proper level of Freon worked like a charm. I will volunteer to come down and drive it for you at least every 3 months until you decide to sell to me haha. I have replaced many a driver side window motors also. If you replace, ONLY use Oem Ford and keep the original. I would see if the original can be rebuilt as a spare. It seems replacement parts these days are never as good as the original ones, even Fords stuff is sometimes chyna junk packed in a Ford box.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Crap like this makes me want to get rid of it. Boss won't let me, yet.

Roush6018

Established Member
the crazy thing is my 03 cobra with a new a/c compressor, condenser and drier and properly charged a/c can sit for months and when i drive it the a/c still blows cold every time. and the motor after 2-3 pulls with the a/c running gets heat soaked every single time too.

but the realllly crazy thing is how bad the MPG gets when running the a/c in a modified cobra. i was too used to getting good gas mileage and having a broken a/c.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Did air blow out vents? Or Defrost vent?

Or manual has plenty of stuff to read ,,

I've had issues with ac blowing out defroster when on vent ,
Than ac intermittent blowing,

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Can you could get the gauges on and get a static pressure check on the high and low sides. Also do you know how much refrigerant you put in the system?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I see you say compressor kicks on... question is, is it staying on. If it kicks on then off only a short moment later, it is still low on refrigerant and the low pressure switch is stopping the compressor from running.

If you are certain the compressor is running the entire time, compressor could be bad.

Is there any dripping condensation from the evaporator coil?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
you have a full set of gauges Brad? You really need to see pressures on both sides to know what's going on.
No just a single for the one side Jerry.
Can you could get the gauges on and get a static pressure check on the high and low sides. Also do you know how much refrigerant you put in the system?
No, just the high side. I didn't add much. I took up to just about 50lbs.
I see you say compressor kicks on... question is, is it staying on. If it kicks on then off only a short moment later, it is still low on refrigerant and the low pressure switch is stopping the compressor from running.

If you are certain the compressor is running the entire time, compressor could be bad.

Is there any dripping condensation from the evaporator coil?
It's always kicked on and off as far as I can remember Dom. It would make sense that it if it stayed on. I thought about looking at that evap do see if it was dripping, but it was so stupid hot out I gave up.
Does the engine cooling fan turn on when the AC compressor turns on?
It does.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
No just a single for the one side Jerry.

No, just the high side. I didn't add much. I took up to just about 50lbs.

It's always kicked on and off as far as I can remember Dom. It would make sense that it if it stayed on. I thought about looking at that evap do see if it was dripping, but it was so stupid hot out I gave up.

It does.
If you have 50 psi on the high side then it’s too low. The high side reading with engine off should be around what the ambient temp is. With the engine running and compressor on, the high side should be in the 200’s and cycling up to the cut out. If you are checking from the low side, with the compressor off it should be around ambient as well. Then when the compressor is on, the low side should read 30’s-40’s psi and pulling down to the low side cutout which should be around 20-25, not quite sure the exact number on the cobra. You may want to just start from scratch and pull a good 45 minute vacuum to remove all air and moisture in the system and add the correct weight.

Last edited:

Saleen498

Established Member
Might be overcharged.
Punch the doorpanel about 8 inches from the front halfway down while holding the switch

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
If you have 50 psi on the high side then it’s too low. The high side reading with engine off should be around what the ambient temp is. With the engine running and compressor on, the high side should be in the 200’s and cycling up to the cut out. If you are checking from the low side, with the compressor off it should be around ambient as well. Then when the compressor is on, the low side should read 30’s-40’s psi and pulling down to the low side cutout which should be around 20-25, not quite sure the exact number on the cobra. You may want to just start from scratch and pull a good 45 minute vacuum to remove all air and moisture in the system and add the correct weight.
I used to port that you add the freon to, that's the bigger one, correct. What I've read that is between the 40-50 psi is correct. That's the blue area on my guage.
Might be overcharged.
Punch the doorpanel about 8 inches from the front halfway down while holding the switch
I don't think so, but not a AC guy. I tried that, as I've had this issue before and the button trick has always worked. Didn't feel like messing with it anymore as it was hot as shit. Appreciate the input so far, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread