About To Start Commuting On Sportsbike, Any Tips?

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
Well, winter is coming up, so get yourself some good weather gear.

Any of the name brands will do. If you want the really good stuff, browse the BMW bike dealers inventory of cold weather gear, then look around for a deal. Ask someone about good gloves that keep you warm but allow some 'feel' for the bar/lever.

The 250 is a great bike. Yeah, not fast, but great for the purpose you bought it for. Hell, I know guys that race 'em! They're a lot of fun on tight tracks.

If you're going to split lanes, I've found the far left lane/2nd to far left lanes most ideal to split, as cars change lanes the least there. Also, riding on the carpool lane helps out. In LA, I've followed CHP cops split ON the double yellow between the carpool and the fast lane.

Just keep your eyes open, especially for gaps in traffic that a car can change lanes into. Don't become complacent when riding, you are always on your guard and of course, assume no one can see you because they can't. They're in their own world in rush hour.

I wouldn't advise riding every single day. But of course, Fridays are a must because they are heavier in traffic. Maybe 2-3 times a week.

Get more comfortable grips. Yes, it makes a difference. I'd also suggest better pads, braided brake lines, and better brake fluid to improve your braking. Maybe even a used GSXR radial master cylinder.

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
I think most everyone has it covered for you but I would add some ear plugs to the list. Even with a snug, full face helmet the wind noise drove me nuts. My commute was about 120 miles round trip all highway. Good luck!

This, too. Riding that often without earplugs can damage your hearing. The high pitch noise of wind will damage, make no mistake. I haven't ridden w/out earplugs for the last 6 some odd years.

You can buy custom-molded earplug kits for you at Walmart or Target or some of the places. Highly recommend those.

Users who are viewing this thread