About To Start Commuting On Sportsbike, Any Tips?

canibus

Established Member
I have a long daily commute and gas has been giving it to me daily with no lube. So I decided to invest on a gas saving bike. I got the 2010 ninja 250 with 10 miles on it for $4,500 out the door. They claim 60 miles to the gallon, i'm hoping that figure is somewhat correct. My commute is 160 miles round trip. For all you riders out there. What do you suggest as far as gear or road tips.

BTW: Yes I know it's a pussy bike, leave me alone. Just trying not to spend money I don't have to, seems like the bike is a good alternative.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
proper gear
always assume other motorists don't see you

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
sell it and buy an older diesel Jetta?

I tried commuting on a 08 600 Yamaha. About 70 miles roundtrip. Not comfortable, cold in winter, and really sucked in the rain. Luckily I was going against traffic, not with, so rarely any other cars going my way.

haz-matt

Established Member
Back during the summer I rode my 03 gsxr 600 to work 100 miles round trip 5 days per week. It was extremely uncomfortable, my limbs went to sleep on a regular basis. Between the wild animals in the road and debris in the road Im lucky to still be around. I dont really ride it much anymore bc of the deer, they are Everywhere! No matter what kind of wardrobe you have on, you are going to get cold.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Well i rode a zx 6r for 3 years straight rain snow or shine! .....30k miles i put on her. It should be cake since your in SO cal. Cagers are aware of bikes in CA...still watch out for them. Carry a small tool kit with tire plugs and a can of fix-o-flat. Keep your chain waxed. And check your tire pressure at least once a week. I always bungeed my back back to the rear seat. Its just easier on the back.

haz-matt

Established Member
btw you should get pretty good mpgs. Ive managed to get 50mpg even on my gsxr 600.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Always leave the bike in gear while waiting in traffic, always stop 1+ bike length behind a car, ALWAYS wear a jacket, pants, gloves, brain bucket, etc.

aaandht

Established Member
250 isn't really what I'd call a sportbike.:shrug:

Just remember you ARE invisible. I ride to Newark most days, it can be fun, but dangerous at the same time. Assume that someone will not see you and merge, and assume people don't see you when they are making a turn against you in traffic.
Can't say much about ergo on a crotch rocket style bike or how to stay comfortable on a long rides.

Stay safe!

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You are going to try and commute on an anemic 250? That is scary.

the newer 250's are far from anemic. Still shitloads of cars you could put away with that little pissant. Aint like its a Smart ForTwo.

250 isn't really what I'd call a sportbike.:shrug:

2009-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-blue.jpg

at least now though they do look like a sportbike. theyre just more economical than a 600, and cheap to boot.

32V SVT

Established Member
Dude, living in LA, I see too many idiots splitting lanes at ridiculous speeds... I used to do motorcycle messenger riding years ago, and can tell you that's the quickest way to find yourself on the deck... Be smart, let the idiots going 30 mph between cars go...

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Best advice is not to ride a sports bike with a 160 miles daily commute, especially a 250cc little toy.

Too dangerous in Socal.

32V SVT

Established Member
Best advice is not to ride a sports bike with a 160 miles daily commute, especially a 250cc little toy.

Too dangerous in Socal.

Dude, my friend is a Motorcycle Insurance agent... He absolutely wouldn't let me buy a bike when I was in a similar commute situation... I went to his office with a list of bikes I was ready to price, and he said "Let me show you my Dead Files..." This was the best thing I could have seen, and changed my decision all together... I've got too much to live for, as I'm sure you do too.
I'm not kidding man, in LA riding a bike there's a very high chance you'll end up on the curb, or in someone's back seat... The best advice is above...

Last thing I'll say about this... :nonono:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
160 miles round trip will get old in a hurry.
Let alone all the good advice you've been getting. I used a bike to commute back in the day [ was all i had] my round trip was 40 miles [ tucson az] and after a few months I was tired of all the idiots.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
the newer 250's are far from anemic. Still shitloads of cars you could put away with that little pissant. Aint like its a Smart ForTwo.

You arent a biker are you. I have had motorcycles since I am 8 (motocross). I have owned over 20 different bikes.

To be safe when riding you need rapid acceleration to avoid accidents because other drivers dont watch for motorcycles.

A bike that runs the quarter mile in 15.58 s @ 81.98 mph is anemic.

Users who are viewing this thread