About To Start Commuting On Sportsbike, Any Tips?

tistan

Established Member
Sell that 250 ninja and buy a cruiser. 170 miles a day on that 250 isn't going to last very long.

svtnotch

Established Member
well i have been riding street bikes since i was 16 and the best thing i can give you is be very defensive and always look to see what OTHER driver's are doing or look like what they may do. take it easy and respect the bike its a 250 but it can still get you killed.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
If it's about milage, my '00 Harley Dyna Wide Glide gets between 45 -50 highway mpg. You're gonna hate life after two weeks. Good luck.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
:coolman:
You arent a biker are you. I have had motorcycles since I am 8 (motocross). I have owned over 20 different bikes.

To be safe when riding you need rapid acceleration to avoid accidents because other drivers dont watch for motorcycles.

A bike that runs the quarter mile in 15.58 s @ 81.98 mph is anemic.

So i guess then just about every harley or cruiser out there is unsafe because it cant do rapid acceleration?

Those 250's have a freaking waiting period here, dealers cant keep them in stock here.

Last edited:

aaandht

Established Member
Harleys have torque, they accelerate pretty quick. Is it the fastest bike in the world? Hell no, but my 23 year old sportster still runs low 13s in the 1/4, and the roll on acceleration is pretty good.

canibus

Established Member
I'm not looking to be fast, just save some money. I see about 6 guys make the same commute on bikes daily, so it's definetly do-able.

If I get bored i'll just use my car from time to time. What clothing gear do you guys suggest?

Last edited by a moderator:

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I have a co-worker who rides his V-Rod everyday, rain or shine. He wears full jacket with the protective plates, full helmet. He has had a lot of close calls from dumb asses not looking where they are going.

Mayo5

Established Member
I'm not looking to be fast, just save some money. I see about 6 guys make the same commute on bikes daily, so it's definetly do-able.

If I get bored i'll just use my car from time to time. What clothing gear do you guys suggest?

Good clothing. Don't skimp on protection, especially if you are doing that long of a commute. At the minimum, as nice leather jacket, full face helmet and gloves with jeans and strong shoes.

And always, always be watching ahead and you have to realize and ride like people can't see you. Have you taken any of the MSF courses yet?

Last edited:

snakecharmer

Established Member
I have a co-worker who rides his V-Rod everyday, rain or shine. He wears full jacket with the protective plates, full helmet. He has had a lot of close calls from dumb asses not looking where they are going.

I ride my Vrod just about every day I can. I won't ride in the rain if I can help it though.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
:coolman:

So i guess then just about every harley or cruiser out there is unsafe because it cant do rapid acceleration?

Those 250's have a freaking waiting period here, dealers cant keep them in stock here.

Once again you speak uninformed. Harleys and Cruisers typically have 1000+cc motors and have plenty of acceleration. You dont need a Hayabusa, but you need more than 250 cc with a 15+ sec 1/4 mile. I have a Harley Fatboy and it is plenty fast and stock, it does a 12 sec quarter mile.

Dealers cant keep them in stock because they are cheap and look sporty not because they are good.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Once again you speak uninformed. Harleys and Cruisers typically have 1000+cc motors and have plenty of acceleration. You dont need a Hayabusa, but you need more than 250 cc with a 15+ sec 1/4 mile. I have a Harley Fatboy and it is plenty fast and stock, it does a 12 sec quarter mile.

Dealers cant keep them in stock because they are cheap and look sporty not because they are good.

How long before the bike payment justifies the expense, over just driving whatever you already own.

Coiled03

Established Member
I wouldn't make a commute that long on a sportbike, but if you insist, the best advice has already been given:

1) Don't skimp on gear
2) Leave yourself an out (much easier said than done)
3) Always ride like you're invisible - because you are.

16kOrBust

Established Member
1) I can get around 50+ mpg on my 2007 GSXR 600 when I just cruise on the highway, so there's no reason you shouldn't at least be close to what the seller claimed. Now, I DON'T usually get that kind of mileage because I only ride my bike when I'm out to have fun, but even beating the ever loving shit out of it on the street I still get mid to high 30's.

2) As far as gear goes, I never ride without my leather jacket, helmet, gloves, riding boots, and jeans (or my track pants if I'm really gonna be having some fun). Boots are usually overlooked but you can **** your ankle up pretty bad even at slow speeds if you have to dump it for any reason and you're in sneakers or shoes. Get something that comes up your calf. And since your purpose is commuting, I highly recommend a nice, comfortable riding backpack that straps around the waste to keep extra clothes, food, etc in.

3) If I was in your shoes looking for a sport bike to commute like that without going R, I personally would have been looking at a good shape, low mileage SV650 or something similar. Those damn onramps can be nerveracking if you don't have the acceleration to get up to highway speed plus 15mph very quickly, because we all know that if the speed limit is 65, everyone is doing 80+. A newer SV650 is a 12-second bike and you can easily find a mint, low mileage one in the $3,500-4,500 range. Similar mpg to your 250 and similar price, as well. Everyone buys them as a first bike to learn on and then sells them cheap when they want to upgrade so you can always find great deals on them. They're also a bit more upright than the R bikes so they're slightly more comfortable.

Good luck and ride as safe as possible!

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

lol @ plenty of acceleration. My cousin had some shitty ass 1200cc cruiser that couldnt even keep up with my pos ninja ex500, and the newer 250's are likely almost equal to that ex500.

quarter mile times mean jack shit on the street. you keep quoting them like they mean something :shrug: and that I dont have riding experience or hang out with riders, both my best friends have sportbikes. I dont, because I like having 4 wheels planted firmly at all times. I was actually looking into a bike for my commute, but id rather just get a beater neon for the price. Hard to sip on some coffee and listen to the radio on a bike.

I see lots of newer 250's on my daily commute from Modesto to Tracy (45min) and even older/crappier bikes (Hyosung comes to mind here). You dont need acceleration, you need awareness. Sure being out in front of the pack is always a plus, and a new 250 wont have any issues getting you there.

Whats your take on a CanAm Spyder then? They run 14's stock........

+1 on a SV650. Great bikes, my buddy wants to sell his to upgrade though........

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't crash.

If you split traffic watch out for assholes opening their doors into you on purpose. Or throwing their ashtrays out as you are going past.

PC Doc

Established Member
I think most everyone has it covered for you but I would add some ear plugs to the list. Even with a snug, full face helmet the wind noise drove me nuts. My commute was about 120 miles round trip all highway. Good luck!

Mayo5

Established Member
Forgot to mention this but when buying a helmet, make sure you do not go cheap on it. And absolutely 100% make sure it is ECE/Snell rating.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Drove a Honda 550 for a few years many moons ago...not much more powerful or faster than your 250. Had no problem with needed acceleration in traffic...just drop a gear or two as needed. Thomas91169 has it right...situational awareness is key. You need to try to anticipate when some cars around you are going to pull a boner move...sadly, not always possible. I always try to avoid dwelling in someone's blind spot. Driving any motorcycle in congested, rush-hour commuter traffic is not especially safe. I've had more REALLY close encounters than I can count...despite due dillegence. In a world of text-while-drivers...it has to be even more tricky. If you are going to do it...dress appropriately (full helmet, leather, gloves minimum) and stay frosty.

Coiled03

Established Member
I think most everyone has it covered for you but I would add some ear plugs to the list. Even with a snug, full face helmet the wind noise drove me nuts. My commute was about 120 miles round trip all highway. Good luck!

Now that's some good advice! Totally forgot about that.

Users who are viewing this thread