A reminder why I quit driving Chevrolet

Cumbersome101

Established Member
This has made me hot for about three days so I will start from the beginning

I was always a Chevy fan from day 1. Had a couple of nice pickups. I had a 09 regency Silverado. Sweet truck it was a rst so it was the lowered 2x4. Well it used a bunch of oil even at 25k a quart every 1500 miles. My local dealer wouldn't do anything for it even when it started ticking real bad at start up. Service writer goes hmmmmm normal. Like he was trying to ruin things for me. D bag. Fast forward 2 years. I need a 4x4 due to how much I hunt and get fire wood and off road. So I go to the dealership to trade her in on a reg cab 4x4 v8. They just got a used one in with 20k on it. It was covered in mud and the meat head appraiser priced my mint truck 3k below book and priced the 4x4 3k above book. And when I smiled and said are u sure that's right he acted like I just couldn't afford it and became seriously hard to deal with. I was kinda mad so I was calling a friend of mine at ford to make fun of this meat head at Chevy and he brought what is now my truck for me to test drive. Feel in love with the 5.0 and the 4x4 system what much better and eveythjng felt tighter and more quality. Best thing I have purchased besides my home. My pickup had been a good ride.

Three years later the dealership starts buying things and using the shop I manage. The women that work at his place will screw everything up then blame it on me. Even when I put it in there face that it was a simple mistake on thier end they say yea we still aren't paying that. I politely reminded them that I didn't buy a truck due to thier bad customer service. And my girl friend didn't either. And I won't next year. That's 120,000 dollars you just missed on due to your shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cumbersome101

Established Member
Maybe I am the ass hole for being mad for 3 days idk. I almost feel better since I shared my rave

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think it has a lot less to do with the manufacturer than it has to do with the dealer. We have a dealer here in West Michigan that is buying up every car brand dealership. Every dealership that is sucked into this mawing pit of evil becomes the same. Great promises at purchase, flying monkeys if you ever try to use your warranty. Worked out great for me, the salesman pissed me off so bad that I went to a dealership I hadn't considered. As I got there, they were putting what turned out to be my Boss into the showroom.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
LOL. Well, fortunately most of us (I say most because some people live very remotely with very limited options) have options when it comes to what we buy and who we buy it from. The business is rife with sleeze, and if you aren't on guard you will probably get taken. The appraiser is probably using a pretty common tactic when it came to appraising your vehicles and valuing their own, i.e. he was adding value to their side the negotiation... but as the seller(trade-in), you are responsible for knowing what your truck is worth and what you will accept for it. You are also responsible for knowing what the planned purchase vehicle is worth, and should be pretty studied on what the dealership can afford to negotiate to. You also should have a BATNA, knowing that if this negotiation fails you have other options. Do not let them suck you into their vacuum, keep you sitting their for hours, and make you feel isolated and like you are at their mercy. As I said previously though, in ideal circumstance any dealership that starts gaming you should be quickly evacuated. You can expect that a dealership run in this way is going to operate across the board in the same way. It is the sleezy way to increase profit margin.

TLDR? Learn to negotiate, find another dealership.

Yes. That doesn't apply to you because you moved on already... but hell, if you have the room, you can also choose who you do business with too.

Machdup1

Established Member
As a consumer, exercise your free choice. Find another dealer and never buy from the original knucklehead ever again. Poor customer service should be punished.

Second, you brought your emotion over the issue into your business life. You might want to think about if that was a wise move.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What U.M. said. This is strictly a dealership/service issue. Which is why when I find an exceptional dealership, I'm willing to drive an extra 30-40 minutes. As many horrible dealerships as there are out there (Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, etc.), there are really good dealerships out there as well.

Glad that you eventually got a deal you were happy with. ;-)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's 120,000 dollars you just missed on due to your shit

My favorite part of the post.

They might have missed out on $120k in sales dollars...but how much profit did they miss out on? 3% is $3,600. Then say they pay their salesmen 30% commission. So $1,080 in commission. THEN they pay their salesmanager(s) 5%, so $126 (x2). So they missed out on $2300.

Not to mention, I wouldn't give within $3k of book for a 2wd truck no matter how nice it was. No one wants them in Missouri, and I know you're in Arkansas, but that's not that far away.

LOL. Well, fortunately most of us (I say most because some people live very remotely with very limited options) have options when it comes to what we buy and who we buy it from. The business is rife with sleeze, and if you aren't on guard you will probably get taken. The appraiser is probably using a pretty common tactic when it came to appraising your vehicles and valuing their own, i.e. he was adding value to their side the negotiation... but as the seller(trade-in), you are responsible for knowing what your truck is worth and what you will accept for it.

Being from Mass. you obviously know that 2wd trucks are not highly desirable. I don't care what NADA, KBB or any of the "books" say a vehicle is worth. It's worth what someone is willing to pay, and for 2WD's that's considerably less than the books say. When NADA, KBB etc start writing checks, then I will call them for bids.

Last edited:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The dealership is the front man for the brand. If a brand's dealers have poor service, it reflects directly on the brand's ability to effectively control quality.

I'm so sick of buying GM products for various reasons, but I keep buying Suburbans every few years. The reason is two-fold. First, it is a rolling tank. Second, Ford quit making Excursions. I don't have a lot of options for a SUV in that size.

But, every single GM product I have owned has really been a real headache in overall quality. Failed window regulators on two different vehicles from the same year. Oil leaks, leaking and/or failed power steering pumps (replaced three times on one Suburban alone).

Just recently, I noticed our latest Suburban blowing light smoke under heavy acceleration. You really can only see it through looking in the rearview mirror at night. The headlights of the cars behind illuminate the smoke. You can even clearly see the heavy carbon deposits on the exhaust pipe. Took it to two different dealers and got the "we don't see any smoke" diagnosis, even after I showed them the exhaust deposits and explained it only does it under load and only visible through bright light. So I expect soon, I'll be replacing oxygen sensors and/or catalytic converters.

I have a whole lot more stories about how terrible turd piles my GM products have been (even more so than the Chrysler vehicles I've owned.....Neons with the famous head gasket leaks, Rams with wheel bearings that explode and catch fire), but I don't really want to sit here and type 10 pages of forum posts.

Surprisingly, my Mustangs are the first Ford products I've owned since my 1980 Mustang and they've been nothing but wonderful. I didn't previously buy Fords simply because I didn't like the interiors for the longest time.

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
Op,

Not ever buying another Chevrolet because of a bad experience at a specific dealer, is not really logical.

If you are happy with Chevy trucks, just go to a different dealer.

FYI, I own a 2012 GT500, and my daily driver is a 2008 Silverado. The truck has been one of, if not the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I've had it for 7 years, and it has 80,000+ miles on it. Only issues were a squeaky steering wheel(fixed under warranty), and a speaker that cuts in and out intermittently.

Cumbersome101

Established Member
I did pay 30k for a 2wd lol. I liked the truck a lot. Leather with suede. What can I say I was 19. Lol. And I understand exactly what u are saying with how much profit is thier with the cars. And I agree that 2wd trucks don't get sold here either.

The morale of my story is a dealership treated me so bad that I started to despise the brand. Every time something went wrong ( door locks, bed bushings, popping door hinges) even though I purchased the extra warranty I had to pay them it wasn't covered.

I love ford now. No regrets.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
no-ragrets.jpg

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Well, there is always a bright side. Ford is a great company.

I'm not claiming Chevy doesn't have products on par... but I have always liked Ford much more. I have never owned a Chevy, I respect them as a company, but their line up has never appealed to me.

mrlrd1

Established Member
1. RWD
2. Covered in mud.
3. Several years old with near average mileage = NOT MINT.

THAT'S why they didn't offer published book "value". I don't blame them, and neither should you.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
1. RWD
2. Covered in mud.
3. Several years old with near average mileage = NOT MINT.

THAT'S why they didn't offer published book "value". I don't blame them, and neither should you.

The 4wheel drive he was interested in was covered in mud. NOT the other way around

Cumbersome101

Established Member
Op,

Not ever buying another Chevrolet because of a bad experience at a specific dealer, is not really logical.

If you are happy with Chevy trucks, just go to a different dealer.

FYI, I own a 2012 GT500, and my daily driver is a 2008 Silverado. The truck has been one of, if not the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I've had it for 7 years, and it has 80,000+ miles on it. Only issues were a squeaky steering wheel(fixed under warranty), and a speaker that cuts in and out intermittently.

Your kinda right l. But they represent thier brand. And when they give poor there u go. Ford gave me fantastic service. On my first oil change ford left my oil filter loose lol. They were cool. Did a compression check and then washed my entire vehicle and said sorry. I understood. Not a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread