A quick note about scammers in FB groups.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Seems they have shifted their methods a bit, so I'll explain it. First they look for public FB groups vs private ones, as it's easier to get in, and they tend to be larger. Once in, they target wanted ads and do one of two things. Some just reply "inbox me" as they want to keep the conversation private. Others will spam a link to a FB page that sells parts, which I'll show in a later picture. With a little knowledge, you can see right through them. Take Ryan Foster below. First red flag is the massive amount of groups he is in. I can see this as I'm a moderator of said group. Then click to his account and look at the URL to it... Bendo Slight. That's the name used to register the account. Massive red flag. Account looks bare, but 2 likes on his profile picture and oddly, both from people in Cameroon.

Anyone buying from him would 100% be scammed.

scam3.jpg

Next up, Gray Todd. Again, new account and in a LOT of groups. Oh look, he actually works at one of those parts pages I was just talking about. Funny, look where that page is controlled? Cameroon. Of all countries in Africa, after Nigeria, it seems the scammers are from Cameroon.

These guys will just reply with a link to that page, yes even in a mustang group. They could get smarter and any day now start a "modern mustang parts" page though.

scam2.jpg

Another perfect example below. New account created today, and already in 19 groups at least. I took the first screenshot and figured I would let him do some more work before I ruin things. A bit later I see him posting in another group, so I decided to end things. Being a brand new account, a quick "report fake account" and FB tends to auto-suspend them. Unless he can upload legal proof of his name and DOB, like a driver's license, he will never have access to that account again, and all posts he made disappear instantly. 3rd pic is what the link to his profile currently shows.

2nd pic, 2nd reply is also a fake account too. It's older so FB won't suspend it, I tried. I report his comment and admin banned him.

scam1.jpg

I randomly decided to pursue a purchase with one of these idiots. I'll save you that long screenshot of text, but someone was looking for a 92 GT seats. A scammer replied, shown above. I replied saying I was looking for 92 GT seats. He sends me 1 picture. I ask for more. The scammer couldn't even pull up the ebay auction where the seats are currently selling at $1,500, and send me those other pics. He replied with a pic of 89 GT seats, which some here will know look completely different. Whatever, I said I'll take them. He oddly said he would accept paypal, but it has some African name. The $500 shipped price, he wanted a $100 deposit sent so he could sent that to his shipper. and then tomorrow I could pay the other $400. Yeah, comically BS.

Another one I tested was for an intake, and he sent me 2 pics, completely different backgrounds, likely stolen from google images. The price was about half of retail, and he gave me a $50 shipping quote within 5 seconds of getting my zip. For payment, he linked me to the shadiest looking site I've seen in a LONG time, basically just a page where one could input a name, credit card info, and a price. I loved the fact the text above these blanks said, "Contact bank if payment isn't successful."

Thank you for attending my PSA, I hope you now can spot fake accounts a little better. Remember, you might think all this is laughably fake but these scammers go for the 1 in 100 that will fall for it, thus they are in so many groups and copy/paste the same reply of "inbox me" or a link to some shady page.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up. I recently started going back on Facebook again. Just seem to get a lot more activity on cobras and foxbody mustangs.

But I'm often reminded why I also hate it.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
There are similar people on Instagram. My buddy reached out to one for headers. When he asked about the mid pipe they sent him a picture of a mid pipe for stock manifolds and told him it would work. He quickly blocked them.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
There are similar people on Instagram. My buddy reached out to one for headers. When he asked about the mid pipe they sent him a picture of a mid pipe for stock manifolds and told him it would work. He quickly blocked them.

I mean yeah, you could buy/sell on Insta, but screw that. At least on FB I can investigate the account. I can at least see some details, like their registered name (as explained), how long the account has been open, their likes, interests, etc.

Take this one: James Smith: James Smith

Account link doesn't show a name, under digits, which thats how it is sometimes. Both their cover and personal pic are junkyard like pics you could get from anywhere. Only two friends though, Frank Frank, and Linda Orang. Frank comes back as a really empty account, Linda is from... CAMEROON!

James also likes "OldschoolridesParts" : OldschoolridesParts

Which looks like some truck junkyard page created a couple months ago. Any comments on that page are met with "Inbox me we have some availabe"

Look around a bit and it's sad to see an elderly man asking that page about the rear window trim for a 31 5 window coupe. That man probably got scammed. :(

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
These scammers get more sophisticated day by day. They obviously make money with these fake accounts, otherwise they wouldn't bother. People do fall for their scams, and I suspect as time goes on that more and more people will get snagged. I don't use FB any longer and don't have any active social accounts that are active except SVTP.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Kinda cool rundown OP. Thanks

Anyone who doesnt ask for a post a note with current date in a picture with the "on hand parts" is 90% to blame for giving up the money

An additional 9% at fault for paying using PayPal, friends and family.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Kevin, that’s were most of the idiots trying to scam here where coming from. I think we’ve done a great job of shutting them down with the technology this site allows us. After all these years, I can spot them a mile away if they sneak in. Thanks for posting this.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Then there’s the guys on FB marketplace that want you to verify a pin# - basically using your info to setup things like a google voice account so their scamming gets tied back to you

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Kevin, that’s were most of the idiots trying to scam here where coming from. I think we’ve done a great job of shutting them down with the technology this site allows us. After all these years, I can spot them a mile away if they sneak in. Thanks for posting this.
I miss the old SD days where we had detectives on here track down scammers and scumbags, and put the fear of god into them.... That and the fear of LL

01yellercobra

Established Member
I mean yeah, you could buy/sell on Insta, but screw that. At least on FB I can investigate the account. I can at least see some details, like their registered name (as explained), how long the account has been open, their likes, interests, etc.

Take this one: James Smith: James Smith

Account link doesn't show a name, under digits, which thats how it is sometimes. Both their cover and personal pic are junkyard like pics you could get from anywhere. Only two friends though, Frank Frank, and Linda Orang. Frank comes back as a really empty account, Linda is from... CAMEROON!

James also likes "OldschoolridesParts" : OldschoolridesParts

Which looks like some truck junkyard page created a couple months ago. Any comments on that page are met with "Inbox me we have some availabe"

Look around a bit and it's sad to see an elderly man asking that page about the rear window trim for a 31 5 window coupe. That man probably got scammed. :(
They were set up as a used parts site like MPS. I'm not saying you have to sell on instagram. I was just saying there are similar scammers on there.
They still play the "I don't have paypal" line. One of the 2 I recently messed with said he only takes venmo, or crypto.
That was the other hint, they didn't have Paypal.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
All the more reason to use forums and only buy from established members.

I never had a bookface acct, but from what I hear it sucks now anyway.
My brother in law got booted over some politics BS and he just wants to be let back. I told him **** them.

Users who are viewing this thread