A little pump gas vs E85 dyno comparison today

KrisR

Established Member
Not big dyno numbers but this is what the car picked up by switching to E85. Peak power is only up by 9hp but the midrange torque is up 20+ at some places and the curve looks much better. It should pull a lot harder after shifts now in the 5000-5500 range. Also the old pull was with JBA mufflers and the new one is with stock ones, might have lost a couple hp with the stock mufflers too, not much I'm guessing though. The pump gas pull was stopped at ~6800rpm by the speed limiter but power had already peaked anyway.

This is a 2011 GT, automatic, Circle D 5C converter (locked in 4th for these pulls), Boss manifold, Airaid CAI, Pypes offroad X, LU47 injectors.

Obviously we didn't hook the wideband up for today's pulls because I was datalogging with my handheld anyway.

Now this is not meant to be a direct a/b comparison because it was on a different day (same dyno and SAE corrected though), but I still think the data is useful. Same tuner (Mike Rousch of Mid Atlantic Performance).

Will see what it picks up at the track soon.

Thanks to Hitech Motorsport for the dyno time.

img041_zps0fe9ec9f.jpg

Shaun@AED

Nice gains from the corn!
Brian still at HiTech or is it just Bart these days? I haven't been there in a few years.

KrisR

Established Member
I hope he is doing well. He was one of my tuning mentors.

Yeah, you could say he had a bit of a falling out with Bart over time and he left, leaving Hitech tunerless. This was over a year ago and they still don't have a full time tuner there. Brian's a friend of mine and a good guy generally. He is obviously very smart too in many aspects of engines and tuning.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Nice numbers. With the gains in the curve, should pick up a tenth at least, I would think.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
That's impressive man! Looks like the gains are everywhere, big gains in the mid/upper which is where it counts.

I wish there was more e85 around me. I have 100 octane near me, but $9.50 a gallon ain't cool

twistedneck

Established Member
not only are those great gains you now have a safer engine. since an NA coyote only fails rods and pistons by melting from a lean out - and that's not an issue anymore with our tuner, or hammering from detonation. and e85 essentially stops detonation so your lands don't fracture off chunks and the rods live because they don't crack from hammering loads. that forged sintered pm rod we have in the stock mt82 is light and works for na even at high rpm, its just not as tough as a forged rod / piston setup that can handle the hammering. our high silicon cast pistons can tolerate more heat than the 2618 forged pistons!

then again, nobody given the choice uses cast over forged in racing. corvette uses 13.5:1 with e85 and still is detonation limited so its not 100% detonation proof but it is for our 11:1 motors on Shauns timing.

4VFTW

Established Member
since an NA coyote only fails rods and pistons by melting from a lean out - and that's not an issue anymore with our tuner, or hammering from detonation.
the Coyote rod fails just fine without detonation. RPM and/or pressure will cause it to bend or snap.

twistedneck

Established Member
the Coyote rod fails just fine without detonation. RPM and/or pressure will cause it to bend or snap.

Based on what I've seen and people I've spoken to u have to have f.i. Type buckling forces.. Not in n.a. Also
The rpm fail I agree w but its not borne out. Most are oiling failures in the big or small end according to the Dearborn based coyote ford racing engine guy.

He's never seen a stock rod fail n.a. Due to rpm alone, always evidence of one of the other items. Boss is stronger for toughness not rpm. Boss is thicker for a heavier piston. Plus, all those w/c guys run timing tight up into detonation and they have failed an h beam, just not a stock or boss rod. H beam failed from the bolt.

Having done 18,000 hard 7800rpm miles and hundreds of dyno pulls and street races n.a. I must just have a lucky set.

woodzusa

Established Member
Op, you just answered a question I was about to post. I just received the e85 set up from Justin at VMP. Haven't put it on yet. And I was wondering what the gains might look like with the Boss mani.I will coming from a 91 steeda tune so the e85 tune should kick it up a notch ..In your opinion, if Im not going to spin it past 6500 or 7000 rpm would the boss do any good for me with running e85?
Can't decide if I want to swap to a Boss mani or go with a one piece DS.

KrisR

Established Member
^ I agree with the above. If you are going to shift at or under 7000-7200, regardless of fuel, leave the stock manifold on. I put one one because I got it cheap and it looks cool, and I know it does extend the usable rpm range. I also have a 5C (4200ish) stall so I really don't notice the loss in midrange tq. My car shifts at 7500-7600. My car might actually be quicker with 7200rpm shift points and the stock manifold. I dunno.

4VFTW

Established Member
Based on what I've seen and people I've spoken to u have to have f.i. Type buckling forces.. Not in n.a. Also
The rpm fail I agree w but its not borne out. Most are oiling failures in the big or small end according to the Dearborn based coyote ford racing engine guy.

He's never seen a stock rod fail n.a. Due to rpm alone, always evidence of one of the other items. Boss is stronger for toughness not rpm. Boss is thicker for a heavier piston. Plus, all those w/c guys run timing tight up into detonation and they have failed an h beam, just not a stock or boss rod. H beam failed from the bolt.

Having done 18,000 hard 7800rpm miles and hundreds of dyno pulls and street races n.a. I must just have a lucky set.
yeah , I managed to overlook "NA" ...disreguard and carry-on , I has failed.

Users who are viewing this thread