99 decided to burn herself

Stanger00

Established Member
yea they totaled it but im buying it back. offer today was 8700 they are getting close. but im not biting. saw on the report today they are comparing it to GT's in the area. im like no no they are two different cars. go out there and find 99 cobras. so we shall see.
So this is 8700 and you get the car back?

or is that just 8700 and they keep the car?

Stanger00

Established Member
That's weak. I got full KBB for my totaled 2009 mazdaspeed 3. Only 2 were for sale in CA at the time for 23k they offered 22750 and I took it. I also got tax and title fees included. I didn't go through the hassle of body shop or adjuster BS. I had it towed to one of their preferred shops and they made the estimate.

I also use USAA.

thebestdj07

Established Member
glad it worked out for ya. i feel if i would have took it to a different body shop the car would have been gone. 3 times this auto auction tryed to pick up the car. so idk if they are trying to sell it from under me to this auction company or how they even found out about it. the auction house got cought up in the storys and we called em out on it and have not heard from them sence.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
USAA is trying to get the car out of storage. The salvage yard wants to pick it up so it can sit in their yard free of charge while your claim is settled. It happens everyday. Its nothing shady or illegal. The bodyshop isn't needed anymore so they want the car gone. You have to release it first though and if you let it sit too long they will deduct the extra storage off your settlement.

Your lucky they are letting you keep the car so don't push it. Read your policy and know your rights. If USAA pays this claim and they want the car you have to give it to them. They have rights to all salvage on any claim they pay. Its written clear in your policy.

Honestly take 9000 and your car and walk away. No salvage title and you will probably end up with money in your pocket after fixing it. Its a 99 cobra, what is it really worth? Maybe 10 or 11 if you are lucky. The market sucks for these cars now and will only get worse. Insurance doesn't care that you have mods to it. They owe you value on a stock 99 cobra since thats what you pay premiums on.

thebestdj07

Established Member
USAA is trying to get the car out of storage. The salvage yard wants to pick it up so it can sit in their yard free of charge while your claim is settled. It happens everyday. Its nothing shady or illegal. The bodyshop isn't needed anymore so they want the car gone. You have to release it first though and if you let it sit too long they will deduct the extra storage off your settlement.

Your lucky they are letting you keep the car so don't push it. Read your policy and know your rights. If USAA pays this claim and they want the car you have to give it to them. They have rights to all salvage on any claim they pay. Its written clear in your policy.

Honestly take 9000 and your car and walk away. No salvage title and you will probably end up with money in your pocket after fixing it. Its a 99 cobra, what is it really worth? Maybe 10 or 11 if you are lucky. The market sucks for these cars now and will only get worse. Insurance doesn't care that you have mods to it. They owe you value on a stock 99 cobra since thats what you pay premiums on.

They arnt paying storage fees becuase we argued to have it at our shop. And it was a auctuon company and not a salavge yard. The auction wants the car because they know they can get a pretty penny from it. I figure 9500 plus my car. When scrap price around here is 250-500 a ton so that comes out to 10000 witch is the value from kbb. not to mention all the cobras in my area are between 10-13k

SlowSVT

Established Member
Every time I see a Cobra go the way of the Doo Doo bird a little part of me dies :nonono: Luckily Ford made a bunch of NE Mustangs so replacements are readily available and should be for some time.

Have you been able to pinpoint the source of the fire? A fuse should have protected the wires but sometimes this is not the case depending on how the wiring harness was designed.

Even a minor fire can render a car useless due to the fact you will never get the smell out.

thebestdj07

Established Member
no idea where it started. the wires for the ebrake switch were the hottest. so maybe that? or cig lighter right there. no idea. also the smell will come out and has. car was gutted. i mean everything came out. was vacumed, wiped out with water and a general cleaner. then i used denatured alachol and wiped everything down again. i used por-15 on the roof to lock the smell in. and on the floor to stop the little rust i had. the smell is 98% gone.
once i get the insurance all figured out I will have my buddy come over with a ozone machine overnight and then he is going to thermo fog it. after that there will be no smell to be had.

stangbanger856

Established Member
no idea where it started. the wires for the ebrake switch were the hottest. so maybe that? or cig lighter right there. no idea. also the smell will come out and has. car was gutted. i mean everything came out. was vacumed, wiped out with water and a general cleaner. then i used denatured alachol and wiped everything down again. i used por-15 on the roof to lock the smell in. and on the floor to stop the little rust i had. the smell is 98% gone.
once i get the insurance all figured out I will have my buddy come over with a ozone machine overnight and then he is going to thermo fog it. after that there will be no smell to be had.

I would love to see you save the car. You can get most of the plastic trim parts for GTs and V6s. Get some Corbeau seats and have at it. If you want there is a guy in NYC that parting out an 03 cobra along with the interior. I think he's ok with shipping as well. Good luck with it.

thebestdj07

Established Member
finally settled today, with buyback and deductible take out it was just shy of kbb. this week it is geting a ozone machine put in it and then thermo foged to get rid of the remenace of the smell. most of it is gone though.

i saved the dash. fixed the wires that were burnt.

got new front seats, carpet, headliner (visors and dome light) center counsel, rear seat delete, mm 6 point cage, summits knock off welds' 15" with m/t et street 325x28's, team z diff brace, team z lowers, and strange adjustable shocks. think i am done for now :) plus the cars paid off now.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Just some leather dark charc. 01 vert's till i can find some 03/04

Brian98svt is parting out his 98 BAB cobra with front and rear 03 cobra seats. Also has center console to match. He has a forsale thread in the sn95 market section. He lives in north NJ so you might be ok on shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread