98 SVT antifreeze flush questions

richstang

Established Member
It's time to change the coolant on my 98 Cobra. It has green coolant in it now. I read the "Ford Premium Gold H-OAT" is recommended and not to mix in other type/colors. (Is this Ford Gold the same as the original factory green coolant?)

Since I'm a Fox mustang guy, the coolant system looks a bit different. The owners manual recommends draining both the radiator and the block. Where is the block coolant plug and should I really be messing with it?

Any other suggestions on a coolant flush for a 4V newbie?
Rich

Last edited:

Ogre39

The block drain plug is on the driver's side of the block, towards the transmission end, just above the oil pan n the block. Had a picture, but can't find it now. Can't miss it though if you take a look. As far as the coolant, get the gold colored extended life coolant and you will be good to go.

Oh, once you have the block drain plug out, run a garden hose in the coolant reservoir until comes out clear water from the block drain plug.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
It's time to change the coolant on my 98 Cobra. It has green coolant in it now. I read the "Ford Premium Gold H-OAT" is recommended and not to mix in other type/colors. (Is this Ford Gold the same as the original factory green coolant?)
Rich

the gold and the green are essentially the same thing.

just a word of advice since you are a fox mustang guy and maybe never messed with a 4 valve modular cooling system before - be certain that you fill it at the crossover tube.

there are many detailed instructions on this site, but mainly you don't want to fill it at the reservoir only, or you will leave lots of air in the system. (this is assuming you won't be using a vacuum fluid exchange machine for the job) best of luck with it!

fastferndog

Established Member
Invest in a RadVac and avoid Ford Gold coolant. Use the newer Ford Orange.

Actually the the newer ford orange is NOT COMPATIBLE with earlier cooling systems. If you have the green in it, just stay with it. The different coolants CANNOT be MIXED! Green and gold will build up some sort of gel, orange has a totally different make and is definitely not compatible either. However you should invest I the RadVac, you can use it on everything else and will speed up the cooling system bleeding on just about ANY car.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Actually the the newer ford orange is NOT COMPATIBLE with earlier cooling systems. If you have the green in it, just stay with it. The different coolants CANNOT be MIXED! Green and gold will build up some sort of gel, orange has a totally different make and is definitely not compatible either. However you should invest I the RadVac, you can use it on everything else and will speed up the cooling system bleeding on just about ANY car.

The coolant is completely compatible with the cooling system. Flushing will get rid of the old coolant, no issue with mixing then.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Personally, for what coolant costs to start with and what the dealer wanted to flush it with their machine I just let them deal with it

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If they actually do the work. I've seen dealers take massive shortcuts on coolant "flushes".

true..it went from green to gold so I know they did it lol. I also know the shop manager so never really gave it too much thought

richstang

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies and the DIY tips.

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on what is ok and what isn't. Rather than taking a risk, I'll stick with the standard green coolant.
I'm fairly certain we should not use the orange / organic coolants under any circumstance in these pre 2002 Ford coolant systems.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks for all the replies and the DIY tips.

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on what is ok and what isn't. Rather than taking a risk, I'll stick with the standard green coolant.
I'm fairly certain we should not use the orange / organic coolants under any circumstance in these pre 2002 Ford coolant systems.

There is nothing in the older cooling systems that would prevent you from using the newer orange coolant.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Back when they came out with the orange extended life coolant they found a problem in that if any air pockets were left in the system the coolant would create deposits similar to hard water mineral deposits.

It would then attack head gaskets and start eating into them, this would actually push components away from each other and the gaskets would then fail.

I'm certain they have fixed the problem by now but it's another reason to follow directions and burp the system at the crossover to make sure there's no air in the system.

AND if you do it yourself make sure you use distilled water instead of tap water so there are no minerals in the coolant, this is what clogs radiators, coats the inside of water passages and reduces cooling system efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread