97 CobraVS.99 GT convertible

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
My 98 GT mods in sigs runs right with if not beats stock 01+ GT's in the 1/4 and I got walked 3 times by a 98 Cobra that only had CAI and exhaust from a stop, on the highway forget it lol. Also have ridden in my friends 99 Cobra with Magnaflow cat-back, offroad H and a K&N FIPK and it pulls very hard, But not hard enought to beat a 98 Cobra with same mods ;) So not bashing on the GT's ( I own one ) but I dont see how a GT could beat a 96-98 Cobra unless it has alot of bolt ons and the Cobra is stock.

Also a Bullitt will walk a 01 GT, yes they run high 13's stock but I dont think a 01+ GT can unless you drive it very well. Bullitt's have the better intake which has been proven for more than 5hp, heard they have better exhaust and they have good suspension with subframe connectors and all :D

Last edited:

Sith

Banned
4.6 Rocket said:
Actually, it was not a joke. I actually know the guy whose Bullitt they used. With just a filter I ran a 13.79 at 102.1 Which is pretty close to the trap speed they got. I have run 96-98 cobras from a dig and a roll and they have all been very close races losing 1 out of 3.

Then set up a race with me, we'll go from a roll on the highway....

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Slow98GT said:
My 98 GT mods in sigs runs right with if not beats stock 01+ GT's in the 1/4 and I got walked 3 times by a 98 Cobra that only had CAI and exhaust from a stop, on the highway forget it lol. Also have ridden in my friends 99 Cobra with Magnaflow cat-back, offroad H and a K&N FIPK and it pulls very hard, But not hard enought to beat a 98 Cobra with same mods ;) So not bashing on the GT's ( I own one ) but I dont see how a GT could beat a 96-98 Cobra unless it has alot of bolt ons and the Cobra is stock.

Not to bash you but from your times, it has to be hard to beat 01+ GT's especially from a roll unless they cant drive because your trap speed just doesn't show it, unless your racing an auto. I'm not saying your car doesn't beat 01+ GT's because it depends on your driving skills. Heck my Bullitt is technically a 01 GT trapping 102 stock+ a K&N, thats 7mph faster in the 1/4, most 99+ GT's trap 98-100. Also your car probably runs really strong in the first 2 gears against a PI GT but once you hit third gear the PI motor will pull stronger and take the lead, so a PI motor has a better chance to hold off a cobra in 1/4, example the difference in trap speed between a non PI motor and a PI motor. The 4v 4.6 is similar to an LS1 in the regards that it really pulls hard once it hits third gear. All you have to do is spin those motor's to high rpms and they will fly. As far as a 96-98 vs. 99-01 cobra it really comes down to driver. Remember, a cobra should be faster because its a cobra but as years pass and techology develops, cars will get faster including the cobra. This is why people mod there cars. To become faster and to stay ahead of new technology.

I kinda wonder what is going to hppen with the 3v v.s 4v races from third gear +.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Sith said:
Then set up a race with me, we'll go from a roll on the highway....

As long as it up to 100 I have a chance. After that I will be reading your license plate :(

I love the way the 4v pulls up top and I thought about getting one and I have respect for the 4v cobra and I have stated that the cobra is a faster car. The reason that I did not get one is because I like the low end torque of the 2v for canyon runs and around town. I got the bullitt because it had the best of both worlds. The cobra brakes and solid rear (save weight and better launching), a better suspension and an upgraded 2v motor with more low end torque.

Maybe one day I will make the drive to the other coast and we can run. Until then :beer:

Sith

Banned
4.6 Rocket said:
As long as it up to 100 I have a chance. After that I will be reading your license plate :(

I love the way the 4v pulls up top and I thought about getting one and I have respect for the 4v cobra and I have stated that the cobra is a faster car. The reason that I did not get one is because I like the low end torque of the 2v for canyon runs and around town. I got the bullitt because it had the best of both worlds. The cobra brakes and solid rear (save weight and better launching), a better suspension and an upgraded 2v motor with more low end torque.

Maybe one day I will make the drive to the other coast and we can run. Until then :beer:

:beer: if you're ever over here let me know, we'll set something up for fun. Although I must warn you the mods are coming soon to my car..

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
4.6 Rocket said:
Not to bash you but from your times, it has to be hard to beat 01+ GT's especially from a roll unless they cant drive because your trap speed just doesn't show it, unless your racing an auto. I'm not saying your car doesn't beat 01+ GT's because it depends on your driving skills. Heck my Bullitt is technically a 01 GT trapping 102 stock+ a K&N, thats 7mph faster in the 1/4, most 99+ GT's trap 98-100. Also your car probably runs really strong in the first 2 gears against a PI GT but once you hit third gear the PI motor will pull stronger and take the lead, so a PI motor has a better chance to hold off a cobra in 1/4, example the difference in trap speed between a non PI motor and a PI motor. The 4v 4.6 is similar to an LS1 in the regards that it really pulls hard once it hits third gear. All you have to do is spin those motor's to high rpms and they will fly. As far as a 96-98 vs. 99-01 cobra it really comes down to driver. Remember, a cobra should be faster because its a cobra but as years pass and techology develops, cars will get faster including the cobra. This is why people mod there cars. To become faster and to stay ahead of new technology.

I kinda wonder what is going to hppen with the 3v v.s 4v races from third gear +.

Well that time was here in Vegas in the summer 100+ out and our track is 2100ft above sea level with a DA of over 3500ft sometimes. My friends 04 GT with Nitto DR's and a K&N ran 14.51@95 2.0 60' so the elevation really hurts performance. Raced my friends bone stock 04 GT from a stop to around 110 and he only had a fender on me.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Slow98GT said:
Well that time was here in Vegas in the summer 100+ out and our track is 2100ft above sea level with a DA of over 3500ft sometimes. My friends 04 GT with Nitto DR's and a K&N ran 14.51@95 2.0 60' so the elevation really hurts performance. Raced my friends bone stock 04 GT from a stop to around 110 and he only had a fender on me.

That would explain it. There is a track out here in California which is the same way, basically adds a 1/2 sec to your time. I will actually be out in Vegas in about a week and half for a hockey tournament. Maybe I will see you out there :coolman:

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Sith said:
:beer: if you're ever over here let me know, we'll set something up for fun. Although I must warn you the mods are coming soon to my car..

:idea: I will just get a supercharger because if I dont I will get :burn:

Sith

Banned
4.6 Rocket said:
:idea: I will just get a supercharger because if I dont I will get :burn:

:lol:

Well if that's the case wait about 3 more years and race my terminator :burn:

joegt38

Established Member
fastball19 said:
My friend ran 13.6 at 103mph on his 1995 Trams Am LT1 with nothing but a filter! He is a Awesome Driver....Took his old 1997 GT to a 14.2 Stock !!! :eek: 14.2 In that model stock is AWESOME!
13.6 stock is xtremly rare and so is 14.2 for a 97 GT. He must be a hell of a driver. Like pro shit.... Ive owned 2 LT1s and still own 1, I know how they run and there no faster then 99+GT. I don't care what anybody says Ive owned them all.

joegt38

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
A stock 99+ gt doesnt pull near as hard as a stock 96-98 cobra. My girlfriend has a stock 99 gt and when I had my stock black 98 cobra I would easily kill that car from a roll or stop.

And I havent ever seen or heard of a gt running in the 13's stock. Most people struggle to get low 14's. Even the mustang mags can't get a 13 stock. Not knocking the GT's, I think they look great and are good cars, but with equal drivers they will not run with a 96-98 cobra (both stock).
Everybody has there own opinion, Ive driven many of 96-98 Cobras and they are gutless off the line... They move a bit up top but shit off the line.

joegt38

Established Member
Slow98GT said:

Also a Bullitt will walk a 01 GT, yes they run high 13's stock but I dont think a 01+ GT can unless you drive it very well. Bullitt's have the better intake which has been proven for more than 5hp, heard they have better exhaust and they have good suspension with subframe connectors and all :D
He didn't know how to drive then. Ive seen a v6 mustang (03) with a k&n and catback beat a 97 GT at the track 15.0 to 15.1. :D They had the same mods, they were bros. The v6 pulled a 14.9 right after.

As far as the bullitts go they ain't no faster. They dyno damn near the same as the GTs do. Maybe 3-4 more rwhp.

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
joegt38 said:
Everybody has there own opinion, Ive driven many of 96-98 Cobras and they are gutless off the line... They move a bit up top but shit off the line.

Come drive mine and see if it's gutless off the line:). The only way it's gutless is if the rpms are below 3 grand, where I admit, they are very weak. But that's why they make gears. I dont race between 1000-3000 rpm.

Last edited:

Sith

Banned
Black98COBRA said:
Come drive mine and see if it's gutless off the line:). The only way it's gutless is if the rpms are below 3 grand, where I admit, they are very weak. But that's why they make gears. I dont race between 1000-3000 rpm.

Just a question, but do you launch at 3000 RPM with street tires?

joegt38

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
It probably still will be ;-)

Im talkin STOCK for STOCK, yes a gear does wake them up as it does the GTs.

I have driven and ran many 96-98 Cobras, I was actually lookin for one before my GT so I test drove even more then people that I knew that owned em.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Yes I launch at 3000 rpms with street tires. Why? Because the car is weak below there:)

With stock gearing it's even easier launching from 3000 rpms, less spin. Like I said before, with equal drivers a GT will not run with a 96-98 Cobra. The GT may have the Cobra off the line but after that the low end advantage goes out the window and there is no question the Cobra's top end is much better. Once above 4000 rpm (where racing takes place) these cars move very well.

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
joegt38 said:
He didn't know how to drive then. Ive seen a v6 mustang (03) with a k&n and catback beat a 97 GT at the track 15.0 to 15.1. :D They had the same mods, they were bros. The v6 pulled a 14.9 right after.

As far as the bullitts go they ain't no faster. They dyno damn near the same as the GTs do. Maybe 3-4 more rwhp.

Read my post at the bottom of page 2 explaining why these times seem so slow. Also 2 stock 04's and a stock 01 GT dynoed when I did and they all dynoed 224-227rwhp and a stock bullitt dynoed 246rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread