97 CobraVS.99 GT convertible

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
wma8706 said:
13.8 for a 99 up gt is not the norm. It's been done but not very often. They are more like low 14 cars. Most 96-98 cobras I see run better times than the GT on average. 305 hp > 260 hp......esp. up top. The car in question here is a vert....on average run low 14's. Props on the 13.7 @ 101 for a basically stock GT :thumbsup:

My buddy regularly gets 13.8's in his GT and he's got a shifter and a catback. I turned a 14.3 in it at the crappiest track I have ever seen.

Sith

Banned
4.6 Rocket said:
I ran that time with just a K&N. I'm hoping for at least mid 13's next time out with the LCA and UPA plus the mid pipe. So you still want to race? :burn:

from a roll? Sure, PM me :burn:

(I don't think you're in the Orlando area though?)

Last edited:

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
ogc said:
A well driven 96-98 Cobra can hit a 13.5@103-104...

I managed a 13.8@102 stock.

i've seen 13.6 out of a bone stock 97 with a decent driver.

joegt38

Established Member
97LT1Ws6 said:
how can they near equal to eachother? 305hp vs 260hp ? no offense to the gt lovers on here but i always thought a 96-98 cobra would murder a 99+ gt coupe or vert. as far as the race good kill man and I think he was modded because a mid 13 second car vs a mid 14 second car shouldnt be close at all.
The 2v GT has more Torq. and its lighter.

The GT has a better chance through the 1/4 from a roll the 96-98 Cobra should edge out the GT.

Ive ran many 96-98Cobra in my GT and always beat them in the 1/4. I even switched cars and drove the Cobra and my cousin drove my GT and he still beat me in my GT. Im sorry I personally don't think the Cobra can get outta its own way outta the hole "stock".

joegt38

Established Member
fastball19 said:
Look at the 1/4 mile times on both cars and there both the same.. Its not about Horsepower dude!! :bash: SRT-4 Run 14.2 to 13.9 Stock with way less Hp the Mustang.. and it runs the same at the 1999 -up GT or 96-98 Cobra....

Explain this?? Why is it that some of the newer LT-1's run high to mid 13's and the newer style LS1 on the Camaro and T/A Run the same in stock form???

Its not about Horsepower alone there are so many different factors that take in place !!
Ive owned 2 LT1s, I still DO NOT BELIEVE they will run near mid 13s stock. Ive never seen nor did it. BTW I still own one.

joegt38

Established Member
BadBirdLT1 said:
GTs are weird machines..ive ran into some with well equipped drivers that are slow..especially from a roll..then there are others that seem to run like a raped ape..were they different from year to year between 99-04?
Very true, my 04 GT that I owned for a shot time was a dog stock, my 02 GT felt like a different car almost .4 -.5 in the 1/4 faster both bone stock.

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
joegt38 said:
Ive owned 2 LT1s, I still DO NOT BELIEVE they will run near mid 13s stock. Ive never seen nor did it. BTW I still own one.

My friend ran 13.6 at 103mph on his 1995 Trams Am LT1 with nothing but a filter! He is a Awesome Driver....Took his old 1997 GT to a 14.2 Stock !!! :eek: 14.2 In that model stock is AWESOME!

Last edited:

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
horseplay said:
i have a auto gt.... it has only steeda u/d pullies, k/n filter, and air silencer delete and soon to be chip'd :) we beat another 99-04 mustang gt with exuast and 5 speed and god know's what else, we had 3 peeps and he and 3 peeps with the weight advantage going to him...plus we have stereo equipment in the trunk. my dad says he beat a new pontiac gto ? ... i hear they are heavy :shrug:

My 2000 GT is Auto...I have 3:73 Gears..CAI..Catback..Xpipe...UD Pulleys..Diablo Revolution Chip..Tranny has Extra Clutch Packs.. Tranny Cooler.. Trans Go Shift Kit..Alum DriveShaft... On Nitto DR Next Mod 3200 Stall Out Converter.. Hoping for High 12's N/A

QuikGT

Banned
4.6 Rocket said:
First of all the Cobra is a faster car than a GT but a well driven GT can beat a 96-98 Cobra. Yes the cobra has more HP at 305 compared to the GT's 260 but the GT makes more TQ. Then you have to look at the cars curb weight. The GT's weight around 3250lbs and the Cobra is close to 3400lbs. Since the GT makes more low end power it can beat a cobra in the first two gears because it can get going faster since it does not have to rev up as high to make power. But once the cars hit third the cobra will pull. At the 1/4 mile marker the cars could appear to be even but the cobra will continue to pull past that. Both cars are fun but it depends on if you like your power down low or up high. I had an 00GT that I ran a best of 14.07 at 100mph when it was stock. I then added a plenum and throttle body and ran a 13.83 at 101.7. So a quick mod on the GT can make it run with and beat a cobra. Then again if you mod the cobra well.......Overall good race and dont underestimate either car. :coolman:

I was really shocked at the difference the plenum and throttle body made on my car too....just those two mods added w the stuff i had before dropped me from an 8.75 to 8.60s in the 1/8th!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
A stock 99+ gt doesnt pull near as hard as a stock 96-98 cobra. My girlfriend has a stock 99 gt and when I had my stock black 98 cobra I would easily kill that car from a roll or stop.

And I havent ever seen or heard of a gt running in the 13's stock. Most people struggle to get low 14's. Even the mustang mags can't get a 13 stock. Not knocking the GT's, I think they look great and are good cars, but with equal drivers they will not run with a 96-98 cobra (both stock).

BadBirdLT1

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
A stock 99+ gt doesnt pull near as hard as a stock 96-98 cobra. My girlfriend has a stock 99 gt and when I had my stock black 98 cobra I would easily kill that car from a roll or stop.

And I havent ever seen or heard of a gt running in the 13's stock. Most people struggle to get low 14's. Even the mustang mags can't get a 13 stock. Not knocking the GT's, I think they look great and are good cars, but with equal drivers they will not run with a 96-98 cobra (both stock).

of course a biased cobra owned would say that..truth of the matter is they are more or less an equal run..and yes they have run 13s stock..MM&FF got a stock bullit to run a 13.59 at 102..so yes magazines have gotten them into the 13s

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Was that the joke of a Mach 1, Bullit and Cobra comparo. That was the most bs ever published.

And I'm not biased, there is a reason I bought my Cobra instead of a newer GT. I have been in both many times (girlfriend has a gt, her dad has an 01 gt and I have a cobra) and I know which one is faster. I have been in mustangs my whole life and drive both a 99 gt and a 98 cobra regularly, the Cobra is faster. The 05 GT runs very equal with the 96-98 Cobra, running mid to high 13's stock. You have to remember, the 96-98 Cobra is putting to the wheels what the GT is making at the crank.

Last edited:

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
Was that the joke of a Mach 1, Bullit and Cobra comparo. That was the most bs ever published.

Actually, it was not a joke. I actually know the guy whose Bullitt they used. With just a filter I ran a 13.79 at 102.1 Which is pretty close to the trap speed they got. I have run 96-98 cobras from a dig and a roll and they have all been very close races losing 1 out of 3.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Ford reported the 96-98 Cobras at 13.9 in the 1/4 mile bone stock on 245 width tires. From a dead stop on wider tires any Cobra in these years will smoke a 99-04 GT by 3 cars, especially a convertible, stock vs stock. 25-35 mph starts in these Cobras should be done in 1st gear, not 2nd, but then if you don't have a good setup, you will sit and smoke the tires. Even a modded GT (CAI, catback, etc) should not compete. Only with a blower if drivers are equal.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Everything in that comparo was fishy, even they said so. They had one freak bullitt and one slug Cobra, the mach 1 numbers were the only ones that were even in the ballpark. A mach 1 will beat any pre 03 cobra through the quarter, but a bullitt outrunning a 99 cobra :dw: Just seems something's not right.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
Everything in that comparo was fishy, even they said so. They had one freak bullitt and one slug Cobra, the mach 1 numbers were the only ones that were even in the ballpark. A mach 1 will beat any pre 03 cobra through the quarter, but a bullitt outrunning a 99 cobra :dw: Just seems something's not right.

If you looked at the cobra's trap speed the cobra was pulling way harder (105.?) than the Bullitt but the bullitts low end torque and solid rear axle allowed it to get a better launch and beat the cobra in the 1/4 mile. After that the cobra would have passed the bullitt since the bullitt was only at 102.? Yes the Bullitt had a good launch and Yes the cobra was hard to launch (lowering springs) but still, a stock 2v got deep into the 13's. A 2v needs more pwer to beat the 4v up top but in a 1/8 or even a 1/4 mile race a 2v with light mods has the capability to to beat a 4v NA cobra. It really depends on how hard the 2v launches on the cobra.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
But the 96-98 Cobra has a solid rear also, so however hard the GT launches the Cobra can launch just as hard. The GT may pull slightly off the line because the Cobra is going to have to rev higher (wheelspin) because it doesn't have the low end the GT does. But once it catches traction it's going to pass it. If you put both cars on slicks where the Cobra could launch hard without spinning, it would be no contest. The GT definitely has the advantage in the low-end department, but has no where near the top end of a Cobra. Once again not knocking the GT's, I love all mustangs. I'm not a "Cobra is better than a GT no matter what" type of guy.

The GT can run very well. I've seen some with bolt-ons running mid 12's. Very impressive for the power output.

Both cars would be much more impressive stock if Ford would have put a half way decent gear in them. They started to catch on with the 03 Mach 1 and Cobra with the 3.55's, but they should all come stock with 4.10's in my opinion. Who the hell puts 3.27's in a car that doesn't make power until 4000rpm :nonono:

Last edited:

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
But the 96-98 Cobra has a solid rear also, so however hard the GT launches the Cobra can launch just as hard. The GT may pull slightly off the line because the Cobra is going to have to rev higher (wheelspin) because it doesn't have the low end the GT does. But once it catches traction it's going to pass it. If you put both cars on slicks where the Cobra could launch hard without spinning, it would be no contest. The GT definitely has the advantage in the low-end department though.

The GT can run very well. I've seen some with bolt-ons running mid 12's. Very impressive for the power output. Both cars would be much more impressive stock if Ford would have put a half way decent gear in them. They started to catch on with the 03 Mach 1 and Cobra with the 3.55's, but they should all come stock with 4.10's in my opinion. Who the hell puts 3.27's in a car that doesn't make power until 4000rpm :nonono:

I was comparing GT's vs. the 99-01 cobra's with irs as far as the launching was concerned. I now that the 96-98 cobras have a solid rear but they dont seem to pull as hard as the 99-01 cobras. Maybe due to their heads. I know that they make less torque than the 99-01 so that might cause it. But a 96-98 cobra is great because with Drag radials, gears, and nice exhaust you have a 12 sec car :coolman: Have you ever run a 99-01 cobra, Bullitt, or Mach 1? and what was the outcome?

And yes, mustangs need better gears stock :beer:

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I have ran a 99 Cobra and a Mach 1. I beat both, I think they both were stock or close to it cause I beat them pretty bad. Both were from a roll.

The previous owner of my car ran a 12.7@107 with c&l maf, t/a, o/r h, welded in mufflers, underdrive pullies and 4.10 gears on drag radials ( the mods when I raced the cars above). Now with my longtubes, jlt, t56 and soon to be 4.56 gears I hope to hit mid to low 12's come spring time.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
I have ran a 99 Cobra and a Mach 1. I beat both, I think they both were stock or close to it cause I beat them pretty bad. Both were from a roll.

The previous owner of my car ran a 12.7@107 with c&l maf, t/a, o/r h, welded in mufflers, underdrive pullies and 4.10 gears on drag radials ( the mods when I raced the cars above). Now with my longtubes, jlt, t56 and soon to be 4.56 gears I hope to hit mid to low 12's come spring time.

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet ride. I'm jealous. I'm hoping with my rear control arms and mid pipe for mid 13's next time out. Then maybe a set of drag radials and 4.10's for low 13's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread