97 Cobra Restomod - Snow Pony

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
welds cleaned up, mudded with some fiber-infused goop, and primed.

so, the damage fixin'/sfc install is done. time to get her ready for paint.

sfc5.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Got the k member all test fitted and what not while I was stitch welding the front outter frame rails to the body.

mm1.jpg

stitch1.jpg

primted2.jpg
primed1.jpg
primed3.jpg

I also stitched the trans tunnel but that's about the extent of what I'll be doing on the bottom, I think. time to clean it and get her ready for paint.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
step 1 to paint prep: clean the surface. finally got all that grime and oil off the underside of the front half of the snow pony.
I'd like to get her belly painted within the next few weeks so she can get back on all fours asap.

clean1.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
These (pic taken before i welded them all the way round) may not do all that much because these rear mounts are pretty robust but they have to flex some so with these in place it should quell what little there might be. tomorrow i'll touch up a couple things and get her ready for paint on saturday (Lord willing).

irs1.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
the next time I put the fuel tank in I want it to be the last time so in the spirit of that I've created this little access panel for said pump. if the fuel pump fails the last thing I want to do is monkey around with that tank when I could've just done this when it was all apart. I'll be using extruded u nuts with a rubber gasket around the perimeter.

fpa.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
My lift arm (or my firewall corner) gave me a goose egg and a pretty nasty gash so that kinda killed a lot of my time today. Due to this (and some other monkey business) I was unable to get two proper coats of sealer under the car (never mind the avalanche grey single stage) so I will have to scuff and re-shoot the bottom again when I get some time to do it properly. At least its all sealed and all of the hard work is done. I'm pretty disappointed but hey, that's life, ya can't win em all. Here's how she sits now.

Good news, though, is that I got the ventilation thing and my buddy's siphon feed gun figured out (I had the suction pickup pointing forward while trying to spray up initially and kept failing to spray color) so next time i should be able to get this thing done in a couple hours.

sealed2.jpg
sealed3.jpg

Last edited:

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
this is all POR15 so I never have to drop the tank again. Famous last words, right? :D
trunkunder.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I'll be using POR15 in the trunk when I clean all this up but you can see the easy access panel. I've got some 16 gauge steel I'll make a cover plate out of and will be using a rubber gasket of some sort with 10 m6 bolts securing it to the car.
tank-access.jpg

shurur

Established Member
These (pic taken before i welded them all the way round) may not do all that much because these rear mounts are pretty robust but they have to flex some so with these in place it should quell what little there might be. tomorrow i'll touch up a couple things and get her ready for paint on saturday (Lord willing).

View attachment 1581069
Awesome thread..
Bruce at FTBR has suggestions for this area in particular.
That brace supposedly doesn't do much, but in conjunction with some bracing that Bruce once mentioned (and my be in his irs article), it can be quite robust. I would email his site or PM him.

Also..I may have missed it. It helps for COs...
Did you bead weld the shock tower seams as well?

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Did you bead weld the shock tower seams as well?

I decided to not brace the two rear shock towers since the coilover springs will not be mounting there. I will, however, be reinforcing the front towers since those will definitely be bearing more load.

Users who are viewing this thread