97 Cobra Restomod - Snow Pony

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
A little update, I finally got a better light source for media (1000 lumen led light) and the janky not full length SFC's are officially GONZO! Next I'll be stripping everything. I'm thinking about running the new fuel lines at the top of the trans tunnel just to keep the bottom of the car cleaner and away from the exhaust and because I accidentally sorta cut one and have to replace them anyhow :D

activities.jpg
cleanishbottom.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
After repaired the damage caused by removing the old subframe connectors and removing all the additional material they used I started seam welding the rear of the car around that area. I'll probably just stitch weld critical flex areas connecting to the frame. I need to clean up the welds a bit but I took the pic at this stage so you could get an idea of the direction we are going.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here you can see where I welded the plates to the rear bulkhead inside the car and the rear subframe connecting to that bulkhead. This stuff is all spot welded from the factory so what I'm doing is just making al the bits from front to back one solid piece reinforcing those spot welds.

3.jpg

I try to get everything smooth in the metal but whatever I don't get will be filled in with fiber reinforced body filler.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

I also drilled out the front IRS subfame bolt holes to 9/16" and started installing the bushings. They were the easiest bushings I've ever installed. just get the old crud out and hammer these puppies in.
8.jpg

Front k member finally out. This one isn't going back in. I have a MM unit ready when it comes time to bolt it all back up.
9.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
These bushings were incredibly easy to do and MUCH harder than the stockers (that felt more like foam than rubber). I strongly encourage anyone with a cobra IRS to do these and use 9/16" bolts in the front holes (which you will have to drill out and it will suck but its worth it).

I just drilled around the bushing edges then used wire wheels to bore out the rest of the rubber. By the time I got to the last one I learned how to walk the bit around the rim to get most of the meat out. the last one took literally 5 minutes.

step1.jpg
bushings.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
More seam welding and fixing the crumpled front subframe ends caused by people jacking this car up without any regard for what is proper.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I tried fixing the existing frame ends but they were just too far gone so I'm just capping it with some 1/8" plate for simplicity's sake.

frontsf1.jpg

Obviously I'm far from done, I'll be welding all around, bending the tab up and and welding it all the way around, then cleaning 3everything up nice and slick with a flap disc.
frontsf2.jpg

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Honestly, I don't know, its gonna be tight especially since I added 145 lbs of IRS to the back. That gets the car to around 3500

40-50 is the sound deadening
40 for the audio stuff (I'm going to try and get a 10lb system for tunes)
50 for console and rear seats
15 for door panels (adding a couple back for some lightweight door cards
15 for sideskirts
50 lost for lighter seats
60 for cruise/airbags/misc other things

Eventually I want to do a tubular k member up front but I have enough to worry about without adding on the aligning-an-aftermarket-k-member to the list.

Until I figure out exactly what I want to do with the interior I'll just have a dash, seats, and a steering wheel in the car so that'll save some weight as well :D

Kind of dumb to strip the interior to race car status when you could easily lose the weight in suspension, driveshaft, k member, rsd, and wheels..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice progress!! I enjoy re-reading your posts. Thumbs up, and I can't wait to see it all finished.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
So much room for activities! Ford didn't want them to come out but we got it done.

halfwaythere.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Got em out and got the subframe in place with the new bushings and drilled to 9/16" holes. I have a fair bit more room now to install the upper control arms and the weight savings is nice.

d2.jpg
d3.jpg
delete1.jpg
unederbody1.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Repairing the frame rails and welding up all the goods on the underside is done. I'm now in cleanup mode repairing years of people jacking up this poor car by the factory thin as all hell frame rails. I used fiberglass strand filled filler to get it close to kosher and will follow up with regular filler when that is all done. I added an 1/8th inch plate in front of the trans mount brackets because that area was way too jacked up from removing the crappy subframe connectors and just on the off chance I might need to jack up the car at a center point in the future.

I've got lots of welds to clean up and smooth out with filler. then some more stitch welding and it'll be time to paint the underbelly.

framerail1.jpg
framerail2.jpg
rail3.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Just so you know, even when its on a lift doing this stuff from the underside SUCKS. She's getting dangerously close to getting fresh paint on her underbelly, though.

rails1.jpg
rails2.jpg
rails3.jpg

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Nice work! I wish I could make the time to straighten out my car like this, my torque boxes are a mess. I have all team z on my car.
Lookin good!

Users who are viewing this thread