96 Mystic Built Votech @15# stalling problems!

SVTPete83

Established Member
Mine put down 520@6500 The b heads do like rpm! Mine turns a little less because I have a stroker crank

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
What coil pacs are the best to use?!? stock Motorcraft or the Sreamin Demon's? I have a set of Screamon Demon's but changed to the Motorcraft stock ones because I had a miss I was chaseing down...
The miss showed up on the dyno in July when I first got the car...But I had found a ground wire going to battery that had came loose....
But now that the miss is gone!!! I was going to put the Sceamon's back in.... YES OR NO any benefits changing the Motorcrafts out?
:shrug:

Last edited:

SVTPete83

Established Member
Everyone tells me the aftermarket coils are NOT the way to go. That being said I have had the msd's on my car for 7 years and still no probs. I ran those screaming deamin coil packs on my
Supercharged svt focus and they worked great.

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
That's what I thought too! I'll just keep the Motorcraft's in her...
Maybe after Winter! I'll get a RACE GAS tune and see if I can get close to 580whp?!?:burnout:

Shaunk

Established Member
You need to install an msd dis4 box. The factory coil packs are the way to go. We have a few b and a c headed cars spinning well over 8,000. My stock internaled b headed car I shift or the shifts are commanded rather at 7200 rpm and has been that way for well over 15,000 miles on top of the 80,000 it already had stock!

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
You need to install an msd dis4 box. The factory coil packs are the way to go. We have a few b and a c headed cars spinning well over 8,000. My stock internaled b headed car I shift or the shifts are commanded rather at 7200 rpm and has been that way for well over 15,000 miles on top of the 80,000 it already had stock!

I don't have any SPARK or issues needing MSD boxes. What kind of benefit if any I don't know!:beer:

Shaunk

Established Member
I had read where you were having spark blow out issues. I missed that you found a bad ground. We see issues on the 96-98 cars around 17-18 psi and above. Any way congrats on the numbers! I have personally seen and helped do a little work on that car it's a nice example of a mystic!

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
Hey Man thanks! It has a small blow out miss @ 6600 RPM's in 4th gear on the dyno.... But not on street in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear @ 7000 rpm's. Tuner said regap plugs from current 28 to 25 gap should fix that. But with my 373 gears I would never see over 6500 rpm's on the trac.... Plus I will NEVER trac this car....:burnout:

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
My 97 Cobra with a SHM built bottom, ported heads, cams, and ported intake had the same issues. 13 psi Vortech intercooled. I had stalling issues back and forth. It was a tuning issue. I had an MSD box for ignition blow out prevention. The car was strong. 580 at 13 psi. 616 at 15 psi. The tuning was a bit trickier due to the cams.

stangbanger856

Established Member
UPDATE ON STALLING ISSUE.... Took the car back to HORSEPOWER SOLUTIONS IN HAMPTON VA.

Josh data log and retuned the car with only 1 deg. more timing @ 17.5 total.... Stalling issue appears to have been solved....

And dyno #'s are @ 526.76 RWHP and 440.80 RWTQ :banana:

Plugs are gapped @ 28 now but he said after 6400 rpms the wick was being blown out. And I should regap plugs to 25.... Because the HP was still going up and should hit close to 550ish RWHP if not 540.... @ 7000 RPM's...:burnout:

Is anyone turning these 96/98 built cobra motors that high in the RPM range?!?

the car is a ROCKET....:beer:

What fuel system are you running on that? Injector size?

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
What plugs is everyone runnin with @ least #15's? Anyone runnin Iridium? I'm currently using TR6's... plus I have a gold handle Hurst shifter and want to change to a MGW for my Built 3550 TKO.... what's your shifter preference? :read:

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
What plugs is everyone runnin with @ least #15's? Anyone runnin Iridium? I'm currently using TR6's... plus I have a gold handle Hurst shifter and want to change to a MGW for my Built 3550 TKO.... what's your shifter preference? :read:

Tr6 plugs are fine, mine are gapped at .26 for 23 psi. So. 28-.30 should do fine for you.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I built this car (old car). Has a Aeromotive 340 with some S/D 60's and a BA3000, custom power pipe with a Maxflow discharged toward the blower (draw through). Tuning these 4" draw through setup's seem finicky because of such a slow air speed. Very suseptable to turbulance. I still say get a prefilter on the filter and fab up a "shroud" to help minimize MAF wash at speed. Keep working with your tuner Dean. Man, that little S trim is pumping out some numbers ! She has to light up like a Christmas tree @ 6k !

Last edited:

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
Matt, I'm going to call this week to order a pre-filter! And fab a shroud too... Still deciding on going with a MGW for shorter and cleaner shifts...

A RAPTOR shift light is on the list too...:beer:

stangbanger856

Established Member
I built this car (old car). Has a Aeromotive 340 with some S/D 60's and a BA3000, custom power pipe with a Maxflow discharged toward the blower (draw through). Tuning these 4" draw through setup's seem finicky because of such a slow air speed. Very suseptable to turbulance. I still say get a prefilter on the filter and fab up a "shroud" to help minimize MAF wash at speed. Keep working with your tuner Dean. Man, that little S trim is pumping out some numbers ! She has to light up like a Christmas tree @ 6k !

A 340 intank pump is all? Stock rails and lines?

Users who are viewing this thread