96 Mystic Built Votech @15# stalling problems!

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
Thank's, everyone... now I have sometihing to go on...:beer:

With the A/C on it also takes longer to drop to 900RPM once coming to a Stop!

Last edited:

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
Update! I changed out the Demon Coil packs to Motorcraft coil packs and cleaned out the IAC valve wich had some residue inside! And it appears to have a huge difference in IDLE and stalling issues.... Had My tuner check it prior to Me changing coils and cleaning IAC and He said it was not in the tune.... I hope this all helps. Next I will buy a Accufab T/B instead of factory T/B and or change TPS...:shrug:

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
leave the factory tb. especially if you're having slight issues now- they'll grow exponentially with an aftermarket tb. btw- dashpot decay and rate is what controls your return to idle or off throttle driving. iac is really only prevalent at idle hence the name.

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
Can you explain more! On dashpot decay and how to check or repair/replace? Or in tuning? Thanks....

Last edited:

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I mean seriously, what has changed since the issue occured? Just the tune right? Why would people start saying all different kinds of reasons? Go see your tuner, or better yet, load your previous tune and see if it still does the same thing.

dwtjr3

Established Member
You have that bottom bung on you power pipe plugged corrrect? Like its not just a open hole?

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
UPDATE ON STALLING ISSUE...96 COBRA VORTECH 15-PSI... My cobra does not stall anylonger pulling to a stop and shifting into Neutral. But it will stall 100% of the time while downshifting to 3rd gear or 2nd gear.... After I downshift it dosen't stall unless I push the clutch in after the down shift is complete and only when pushing cltch in. It will happen 100% of the time. Downshift to 3rd and 2nd gear....

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE NICE!!!

IS THIS THE DASHPOT DECAY %'S NEED TO BE DIALED IN BETTER IN THE TUNE?!? THE TUNER EARLIER SAID IT WAS NOT IN THE TUNE...

But I didn't mention dashpot adjustment. And I'm going back for more timing in my tune to reach 500whp...

:beer:

Last edited:

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
This is my old car. Hi Dean...... This is correct, we did run into the stalling issue. Through datalogging the car, Dalke (my tuner) was able to tune it out, and was never a issue again. I'm not a proclaimed tuner, but I believe the problem IS in the tune. Have him play with the ISC integrator (if memory serves). AND, remember the placement of the air filter behind the foglight, I always believed it to be MAF wash. Like I had mentioned, Kurgan suggested trying a pre-filter on the air filter. Also, try to make a shield of sorts around the fog light/filter area. Keep pushing your tuner to address these issues. Do these small things to to show some effort on your part.

Have you datalogged the car for him to see ? ..... 1 time, 1 "episode" should be all a good tuner needs to see to fix whats going on. Try clocking the MAF too. Also, if you post some datalogs on here ... there's some smart guys around here too.

... I can promise, these few, cheap fix's will fix her like never before or get you moving in right direction.

The bypass on the car is setup right. It is a Vortech Maxflow mini race. I had the flange welded to the discharge pipe before throttle body and it re-enters into the power pipe directed toward impeller via. 1 3/4" hose. Tuning a draw through car with a 4" intake can be tricky. Air speed is low, and susceptable to turbulance. Remember too I had a Accufab on there (intake is ported for the single blade) ... we got 15 more HP out of the stock throttle body.

... Keep this post going, this is a issue for many people. Someone will chime in with some useful advise for your tuner perhaps ?

02blownGT

Established Member
Delete the iac,car never ran as good as when i deleted mine if you need info on how to keep the CEL off drop me a pm.

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
This is my old car. Hi Dean...... This is correct, we did run into the stalling issue. Through datalogging the car, Dalke (my tuner) was able to tune it out, and was never a issue again. I'm not a proclaimed tuner, but I believe the problem IS in the tune. Have him play with the ISC integrator (if memory serves). AND, remember the placement of the air filter behind the foglight, I always believed it to be MAF wash. Like I had mentioned, Kurgan suggested trying a pre-filter on the air filter. Also, try to make a shield of sorts around the fog light/filter area. Keep pushing your tuner to address these issues. Do these small things to to show some effort on your part.

Have you datalogged the car for him to see ? ..... 1 time, 1 "episode" should be all a good tuner needs to see to fix whats going on. Try clocking the MAF too. Also, if you post some datalogs on here ... there's some smart guys around here too.

... I can promise, these few, cheap fix's will fix her like never before or get you moving in right direction.

The bypass on the car is setup right. It is a Vortech Maxflow mini race. I had the flange welded to the discharge pipe before throttle body and it re-enters into the power pipe directed toward impeller via. 1 3/4" hose. Tuning a draw through car with a 4" intake can be tricky. Air speed is low, and susceptable to turbulance. Remember too I had a Accufab on there (intake is ported for the single blade) ... we got 15 more HP out of the stock throttle body.

... Keep this post going, this is a issue for many people. Someone will chime in with some useful advise for your tuner perhaps ?

Hey Matt, how are you? I tried to text/call you a couple of times! But you haven't returned my calls... Good to hear from you. Your recomendation of tweaking the ISC!!! Is this different than DASHPOT DECAY adjustments? I have had some medical issues lately and haven't been able to go back to my Tuner. NO! I have NOT data logged anything with SCT X3. I'm just not that FAMILIAR with that stuff!!! But I will soon take the Mystic back to HORSEPOWER SOLUTIONS and have Josh/tuner DATA LOG while I'm driving to make this stall issue accure. I also am ready for him to put some serious timing added to the car to get that 500 WHP goal... :)

Last edited:

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Hey Matt, how are you? I tried to text/call you a couple of times! But you haven't returned my calls... Good to hear from you. Your recomendation of tweaking the ISC!!! Is this different than DASHPOT DECAY adjustments? I have had some medical issues lately and haven't been able to go back to my Tuner. NO! I have NOT data logged anything with SCT X3. I'm just not that FAMILIAR with that stuff!!! But I will soon take the Mystic back to HORSEPOWER SOLUTIONS and have Josh/tuner DATA LOG while I'm driving to make this stall issue accure. I also am ready for him to put some serious timing added to the car to get that 500 WHP goal... :)

Sorry to hear about health, things been crazy on my end lately also ... Anyhow, yes, the ISC intergator is different then dashpot decay, although both may need tweaked. All you have to do to datalog is download SCT livelink to a laptop, make up a config file (or have your tuner do it), and piggy back your laptop through your handheld and to the aldl connector. Once you do it one time, you'll see it sounds more intimadating then it is. It should solve the problems if tuner can make the proper adjustments.

In this cooler air, should be no problem hitting the 500 mark. :rockon: ..... It's 40 degrees where I'm at. The Terminator is a ****ing animal, these cars are completely different in the cold air. My MAF is almost pegged, out of pumps :loser:, and close on injector. It's all good :) ..... I give her a little mercy under 35* :nono:

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
Thanks Matt!!! Do you think My tuner should allready have the download needed to take a drive and DATA Log?!? :shrug:

Last edited:

dwtjr3

Established Member
Delete the iac,car never ran as good as when i deleted mine if you need info on how to keep the CEL off drop me a pm.

Wait you deleted the IAC? I thought that would hurt a car not help.

How did you do this? And what are the benefits?

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
I'm going to HORSEPOWER SOLUTIONS and have Josh DATA Log my car while I drive the car... And promote a stalling issue. Then let him work his magic. At this time the mystic is going back on dyno for more timing...:beer:

"I AM NOT GOING TO DELETE IAC"

03 Red Fire

Ported Stage 5+
Established Member
UPDATE ON STALLING ISSUE.... Took the car back to HORSEPOWER SOLUTIONS IN HAMPTON VA.

Josh data log and retuned the car with only 1 deg. more timing @ 17.5 total.... Stalling issue appears to have been solved....

And dyno #'s are @ 526.76 RWHP and 440.80 RWTQ :banana:

Plugs are gapped @ 28 now but he said after 6400 rpms the wick was being blown out. And I should regap plugs to 25.... Because the HP was still going up and should hit close to 550ish RWHP if not 540.... @ 7000 RPM's...:burnout:

Is anyone turning these 96/98 built cobra motors that high in the RPM range?!?

the car is a ROCKET....:beer:

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
UPDATE ON STALLING ISSUE.... Took the car back to HORSEPOWER SOLUTIONS IN HAMPTON VA.

Josh data log and retuned the car with only 1 deg. more timing @ 17.5 total.... Stalling issue appears to have been solved....

And dyno #'s are @ 526.76 RWHP and 440.80 RWTQ :banana:

Plugs are gapped @ 28 now but he said after 6400 rpms the wick was being blown out. And I should regap plugs to 25.... Because the HP was still going up and should hit close to 550ish RWHP if not 540.... @ 7000 RPM's...:burnout:

Is anyone turning these 96/98 built cobra motors that high in the RPM range?!?

the car is a ROCKET....:beer:

Yea man the B-headed motors like to spin high!!

Users who are viewing this thread