96-98 Cobra worthwhile mods/maintenance

JustinKrizenesky

Hello everyone! Brand new to the SVT forum! I currently own a 2018 Camaro, but for several years I have wanted a 96-98 Cobra coupe, and I decided now is the time to start searching with a little more haste.

My question is, what kind of mods and upgrades should I consider as essential for these cars, and which are optional for my intended usage. For reference, I do not plan on AutoX'ing this car or taking it to the strip, I have my Camaro if I want to go fast. I want a car that can look gorgeous, but still be fun to drive, and not any danger to society.

My current list of things I will need to address are as follows;

Brake Pads
New shift knob/short throw shifter
New battery
New engine seals and gaskets
New engine filters
Catch can
Subframe connectors
Lowering springs
Sway bars
New tires
Big brake kit??
Control arms??
New bushings??
I have seen others state that the T45 can be problematic, and recommend a trans swap, is that popular?

I am open to any and all opinions and thoughts regarding what I will actually need, and what will not be as important for cruising town, and feel free to chime in with other things you have loved on your own cars!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I hope to be sharing a new-to-me Cobra with you all soon!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
welcome and good luck with your search! i've always loved the 96-98 cobra body style.

sounds to me like if you want it just for fun enjoyable cruising the best bet would be to find one with as low miles and close to stock as possible. and as @cobracide said gears will really wake the car up.

robvas

Established Member
Catback
4.10's
Konis and lowering springs
Subframes
Wheels/tires

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Maintenance:

Treat it like it is a nearly 30 year old car that has never been maintained.

Upgrades:

C Head conversion with 96-98 cams and shave heads for a small bump in CR
LTs, mid pipe, catback
Maximum Motorsports K Member, A Arms, Coilovers, Panhard Bar, Torque Arm, LCAs, and subframes
01-04 Dark Charcoal interior swap
03-04 Cobra seats
Complete Audio upgrade with backup camera
S281 spoiler
3.73 gears
31 spline axles
03-04 Cobra LSD
A few more RPMs

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Catback
4.10's
Konis and lowering springs
Subframes
Wheels/tires

This is the way. Add a shifter of your liking to the list and you'll be set on the mods.

I wouldn't mess with the seals on the engine unless you were experiencing leaks. Don't waste money on control arms for a cruiser. Replace bushings and ball-joints as needed. Sway-bars are unnecessary on a cruiser (the rear sway-bars did tend to break on these cars, though... keep an eye on that).

The T45 will live with a standard bolt-on setup unless you're really abusing it on sticky tires.

Forgo the big brakes, stock brakes are great for a bolt-on car. Throw some nice pads in with good fluid, you'll be happy.

JustinKrizenesky

This is the way. Add a shifter of your liking to the list and you'll be set on the mods.

I wouldn't mess with the seals on the engine unless you were experiencing leaks. Don't waste money on control arms for a cruiser. Replace bushings and ball-joints as needed. Sway-bars are unnecessary on a cruiser (the rear sway-bars did tend to break on these cars, though... keep an eye on that).

The T45 will live with a standard bolt-on setup unless you're really abusing it on sticky tires.

Forgo the big brakes, stock brakes are great for a bolt-on car. Throw some nice pads in with good fluid, you'll be happy.
Thank you so much! What are your thoughts on suspension? Shocks, struts, springs for a full package, or just some lowering springs and call it good?

bird_dog0347

Established Member
If you want to lower it, I'd highly recommend going with a MM Coil over kit as you can get a much lower wheel rate (lighter spring rates) using a coil over which will give you a better ride. If you're ok with stock ride height, get the appropriate shocks for the spring rates and you're set. If you like spirited driving around corners, get a Panhard Bar for the rear too.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Lots of good ideas offered. Some of it may depend on what your budget is for the new car. A fun cruiser doesn't need everything listed to still be fun. IMO, the 96-98 Cobra has got good "bones" which can be improved to your taste. I have my PG 97 set up for fun cruising and spirited driving with some tasteful mods.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I bought my 98 cobra vert last year and so far have a off road cat back, mgw shifter, xl length fully welded subframe connectors, 4.10's, lowered (not sure what springs), and some fr500 type wheels with big meats on the back. It's not "fast" by today's standards but it is fun, and that is why I have it as a pleasure car to ride around on nice days.

I have a set of MM 4 bolt caster camber plates in a box I'm gonna throw on at some point as well.

Poolman

Established Member
Maximum Motorsports rear upper and lower control arms will improve handling too. Plus what others have advised. I put in 4.10 gears years ago, swapped in 3.73 gears a couple years ago, either is ok. My T45 has a good many track miles, change the fluid and it should be ok. Never drag raced mine in a hard way. I have the Brembo 2000R brake kit, on all 4 Cobras. Great brakes, flush with Motul synthetic brake fluid. I have a number of engine bolt ons, with ported manifold, single blade TB, and intake runner delete. All that requires a dyno tune to be effective. Borla X pipe and Borla side exhaust (discontinued, but it has a unique exhaust note) The DOHC motor is tough and fun to drive. Now you have to find one. Good luck, mine is not for sale.

freebird50

Established Member
Hello everyone! Brand new to the SVT forum! I currently own a 2018 Camaro, but for several years I have wanted a 96-98 Cobra coupe, and I decided now is the time to start searching with a little more haste.

My question is, what kind of mods and upgrades should I consider as essential for these cars, and which are optional for my intended usage. For reference, I do not plan on AutoX'ing this car or taking it to the strip, I have my Camaro if I want to go fast. I want a car that can look gorgeous, but still be fun to drive, and not any danger to society.

My current list of things I will need to address are as follows;

Brake Pads
New shift knob/short throw shifter
New battery
New engine seals and gaskets
New engine filters
Catch can
Subframe connectors
Lowering springs
Sway bars
New tires
Big brake kit??
Control arms??
New bushings??
I have seen others state that the T45 can be problematic, and recommend a trans swap, is that popular?

I am open to any and all opinions and thoughts regarding what I will actually need, and what will not be as important for cruising town, and feel free to chime in with other things you have loved on your own cars!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I hope to be sharing a new-to-me Cobra with you all soon!
Blower.

Users who are viewing this thread