96-98 cobra engines compared to 03-04 Mach 1 engines

blkvenm97

Established Member
Ok I was under the impression that Mach 1s had basically the same engine has a 96-98 cobra...they about the same hp...but on dyno sheets they also seem to pull more toque than any cobra i've seen. why is this? I'm just wondering what it is about these engines that make them have more torque and it's also lower in the rpm band than the peak torque on cobras. thanks guys...let the games begin :pop::pop:

blkvenm97

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra with royal purple fluids throughout, jlt cai, pullies, hpipe, flows, 4.10s....can anyone tell me a guestimate on the rear wheel hp? it's a pretty strong runner on the street for what it's got......thanks

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The Mach has heads that are lot different than your motors and it also uses intake cams that have about 10 degrees less duration. The heads require an intake that also differs greatly from the 96-98 intake. The compression in the Mach is .15 higher but that isn't enough to make a big difference. The Mach heads are the same as those on the Aviator, Marauder and 03/04 Cobra and the intake is the same design as the 99/01 Cobra but it's a much better flowing casting.

As for your hp, maybe 280-285.

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
As for your hp, maybe 280-285.
I think that is a bit high even for a Dynojet. The 4.10s will show a bit lower. I would say about 270-275. Mine with 3.73s and longtubes recently put down 278rwhp on a Mustang Dynanometer with a custom SCT tune. That would be close to 300rwhp on a Dynojet. My buddy's Mach1 made 297rwhp on the same dyno with same mods as me and with 4.10s.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
heads are different and they dropped the IMRCs i believe. That makes it the same 4.6L engine, but many different aspects of it have changed. It's no surprise that one of the other has an advantage :shrug:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
open K&N on Pro-M maf, pullies, O/R-H, flows and 4.30s mine made 282 on a dynojet.

Gears do not affect the dyno as bad as most think.

Put it this way, a RWHP is what you make at the wheels, Period.
Gears are a mod, with or without gears what you make is what you make.

If anything Steeper gears are a TQ multiplier correct?

Then TQ should be a little higher with gears.
HP may or may not suffer a bit but no matter what it is your RWHP.

ghost96gt

Shoot to Thill
Established Member
96-98 blocks are teskid blocks i dont think mach 1's are didnt ford stop getting their blocks made in italy in 98? As i have been told the MACH 1 motors are completly different than the cobra motors.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Pretty much, It comes on the end of the MAF like that, no shoud or housing.

I think I have a pic I can PM to you, don't want to hi-jack the thread.

blkvenm97

Established Member
i was thinking around 280 rwhp myself. With a good tune I was hoping to get close to 300 rwhp on a dynojet. Anyone think this is possible? Kinda makes me jelous....of the Mach 1s that is...I would like to sell my cobra and get one but at the same time....mine's paid for so I'd probably be better off just getting mods cuz to be honest I like our body style better anyways. the 96-98 cobras have always been my favorites....thanks guys

blkvenm97

Established Member
I think that is a bit high even for a Dynojet. The 4.10s will show a bit lower. I would say about 270-275. Mine with 3.73s and longtubes recently put down 278rwhp on a Mustang Dynanometer with a custom SCT tune. That would be close to 300rwhp on a Dynojet. My buddy's Mach1 made 297rwhp on the same dyno with same mods as me and with 4.10s.

assuming a 15% drivetrain loss that puts you about 319 hp flywheel....doesn't that seem a little low for longtubes and a tune? we are supposed to have 305 stock....i'm just tryin to figure this stuff out....gets confusing sometimes...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
96-98 blocks are teskid blocks i dont think mach 1's are didnt ford stop getting their blocks made in italy in 98? As i have been told the MACH 1 motors are completly different than the cobra motors.

As far as the parts that make a difference in poewr production, there are the heads, cams and intake. The crank (auto machs have a cast crank), rods and pistons are the same and the block has no affect on power.

blackfang

Established Member
Yes, gears can have an affect on rwhp readings from a dyno. many engineers have stated this and many hobbyists disagree. I believe one of our old mods back in 02-03 emailed Dynojet and he posted the email. I have saved it for technical use. This is an email from a Dynojet Representative

QUESTION:
A car having 3:27 rear end gears is placed on a DynoJet chassis dyno and has a dyno performed. Then this same car is taken off the DynoJet chassis dyno and has the rear end gears changed to 4:10. The car is then placed back on the DynoJet chassis dyno and another dyno is performed. Will the second dyno show a loss of horse power caused by the 3:27 to 4:10 gear change?

ANSWER:
Yes

EXPLANATION:

"The 4:10 gear will show less horsepower than the 3:27. The reason is due

to rate of acceleration changes. The rate of acceleration is quicker with

the 4:10 because of torque multiplication being increased to the rear

wheel. The horsepower will show less because the targeted RPM is met

before the horsepower has a chance to overcome the rotational mass (dyno,

drive line, etc.) or moment of inertia in speed. Because the speed is

decreased and the RPM is met faster, the horsepower never has a chance to

catch up with itself, so to speak. The overall ratio of 1:1 will always

produce the most horsepower on the chassis dyno. Having said this, a

similar problem can occur with horsepower loss when the rear gear is too

high. The horsepower is being absorbed in just trying to keep the

rotational mass spinning. Please keep in mind that your engine's

horsepower never changes but what gets to the dyno or drive surface

does. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to

ask. Thank you."

msm808

97' Slobra
Established Member
Yes, gears can have an affect on rwhp readings from a dyno. many engineers have stated this and many hobbyists disagree. I believe one of our old mods back in 02-03 emailed Dynojet and he posted the email. I have saved it for technical use. This is an email from a Dynojet Representative

Good to know :beer:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Gears do not affect the dyno as bad as most think.

Put it this way, a RWHP is what you make at the wheels, Period.
Gears are a mod, with or without gears what you make is what you make.

If anything Steeper gears are a TQ multiplier correct?

Then TQ should be a little higher with gears.
HP may or may not suffer a bit but no matter what it is your RWHP.
My understanding is that a Mustang Dynamometer is based on how much torque your car produces to get the drum spinning quicker, which is a bit different than the way the Dynojet factors it. I would think that 4.10's on a Dynamometer actually would help the reading of torque because it spins it up quicker. I found this link a couple weeks ago explaining the differences. I probably totally butchered the comparison...
http://www.dynoserve.com/faq/

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I never said it didn't, I know it does.

What I said was
"as bad as most think."

And yes your HP will be a little lower but TQ should be higher.

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
I think that is a bit high even for a Dynojet. I would say about 270-275.

I agree about 275 sounds about right. Mine put down 275hp & 278tq to the wheels. Only mods then was a BBK o/r H pipe, MAC Cat-back, K&N conical filter, air silencer removed, MSD 8.8 ignition wires, fresh spark plugs, Centerforce clutch, and Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Users who are viewing this thread