90 Year Old Medal Of Honor Recipient Wins Battle To Keep Flagpole In Yard

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
BARFOOT, VAN T.

Rank and organization: Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 157th Infantry, 45th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Carano, Italy, 23 May 1944. Entered service at: Carthage, Miss. Birth: Edinburg, Miss. G.O. No.: 79, 4 October 1944.
Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

Damn. :uh oh:

Anyone else willing here to pay for a movie about this man? Hell, a "COD: Barfoot at War" would work.

Chuck Norris ain't got nuthin' on this real-life badass.

Oh, and **** the HOA.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety

Pretty sure thats a mission in Call of Duty World at War

Edit: God bless this man, and all other veterans who have had to go to war for this country.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I fail to see how they are a bunch of scumbags, the guy moved into a area with a hoa he knew the rules before he bought the place. Instead of requesting a variance or exemption he did what ever he wanted and got called out on it. While I am greatful for his service (I am serving as well) he went about this the wrong way, end of story. In. My opinion though his moh has nothing to do with the issue at hand only something to gain public support.

NAZI!:burnout:

LSUstang05

Established Member
The issue isn't the flag it's the flag pole. He was suggested alternatives to fly it within the previously established and AGREEDED upon guidelines. Someone who spent as much time in as him should be used to following rules. The issue isn't about the flag and never was. FYI he does get additional pay for being a moh recipient along with additional benefits not including his retirement pay.

The man should be able to put a 200 ft flag pole in his front lawn if he wants to, IMO. That man is a damned hero (whether he believes that or not) and as much as it is non PC, he SHOULD be treated differently. There are only a handful of MOH recipients in the history of this country, let alone alive.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
The man should be able to put a 200 ft flag pole in his front lawn if he wants to, IMO. That man is a damned hero (whether he believes that or not) and as much as it is non PC, he SHOULD be treated differently. There are only a handful of MOH recipients in the history of this country, let alone alive.

If there's one thing I learned in the military, is that I'd salute an MoH recipient before I salute a 4-star general. And if both of them are in front of me, I'll hold that salute until the MoH drops his salute, regadless of what the general does. Now, this is an unofficial rule (unless it has changed since I got out), but I don't think anyone will fault anyone for doing it this way.

oldmodman

Established Member
It's not like the guy was putting an old Camaro up on cinder blocks in the front yard! WTF is this country turning into?!!! No wonder we are such targets for terrorists, there is no damn loyalty even in this country!

There is nothing more American than a Camaro up on blocks, except maybe a Mustang.

That guy is the reason we are able to fly a flag in our yard. This shouldn't have been questioned.

Absolutely!

That MOH Citation is insane! That man is a damn Superhero.

No wonder his generation is called "The Greatest Generation".
But I want the current generation fighting in the sandbox to be called "The Greatest Generation II" Lots of heroes coming back to the States horribly wounded and they still want to go back to join their units.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Did you all read the original post???? He was a mother-f'n commando!!!! This guy should get hero pay for the rest of his life IMO.

Jack Bauer's hero.

Someone on M1R knew a guy that got the VFW involved. This whole thing was talked about ALOT on the local radio shows.

Nukem1040

Established Member
I just moved into my community before i deployed. The HOA rules are out of control!! But then again, keeps my neighborhood from going getto. Anywho, I can not put a flag pole up in my yard, BUT, I can put it on the post on my front porch. I am fine with that. As for that man, he has my outmost respect and I would salute him anyday. In his defense, im sure a 90 year old never "agreed" on the contract. I am willing to bet it was one of his kids or aids that did the contract for him and moved him in. I am sure he is clueless on HOA bull#@!*. He probly woke up on day 1 in that house and said "where's my flag?" And the rest was history. Poor man, he almost died for that flag. That HOA should really be frowned upon :burn:

txyaloo

Established Member
In his defense, im sure a 90 year old never "agreed" on the contract. I am willing to bet it was one of his kids or aids that did the contract for him and moved him in. I am sure he is clueless on HOA bull#@!*. He probly woke up on day 1 in that house and said "where's my flag?" And the rest was history.

I consider that an insult to him. Have you watched any of the interviews with him? He still appears extremely sharp for any age.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Good for him, **** HOA's. Their idea is sound, but their execution leaves much to be desired.

my parents rental property is part of a HOA.........if the renters dont put the garbage cans in their specified location, we get fined. we can only paint the house "earth tones", which sucks because i really wanted to use bright chartruese and pink. Everything down to garage doors can only have two windows. ****ing serious? I told them when they croak, im selling that ****ing pos property off with quickness.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
**** YEA!!! The man is a real life Rambo for God's sake!

He could put up 10 of those poles as far as im concerned!

I salute him and all of our other service men and women! :rockon:

Sapperstang

Established Member
Good for him. Only FB group I've ever joined. Completely asinine someone can't fly an American flag any respectfully way possible.

This. I joined the FB group too. Also informed a veterans group I belong to about it. This man should be able to hang his underwear from a flagpole if he wants to. The HOA should be kissing his ass.

Users who are viewing this thread