90 Year Old Medal Of Honor Recipient Wins Battle To Keep Flagpole In Yard

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Virginia Veteran Wins Battle to Keep His Flagpole in Yard - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

This became a pretty big story because there were a bunch of scumbags trying limit the rights of an absolute hero. He had a flagpole in his front yard and home owner's association demanded that he take it down. The homeowner's association lawyers tried to point out that many of the residents had served as Colonel Barfoot had. Really?

This is his MOH Citation. This fellow might very well have an S on his chest.

BARFOOT, VAN T.

Rank and organization: Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 157th Infantry, 45th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Carano, Italy, 23 May 1944. Entered service at: Carthage, Miss. Birth: Edinburg, Miss. G.O. No.: 79, 4 October 1944.
Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

MOH Citation for Van Barfoot

Last edited:

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
the fact that an hoa would tell anyone to take down a flag pole bearing an American Flag is completely absurd and the fact that they'd do it to a man of his stature and valor is down right communist in nature

plkdb

Established Member
I fail to see how they are a bunch of scumbags, the guy moved into a area with a hoa he knew the rules before he bought the place. Instead of requesting a variance or exemption he did what ever he wanted and got called out on it. While I am greatful for his service (I am serving as well) he went about this the wrong way, end of story. In. My opinion though his moh has nothing to do with the issue at hand only something to gain public support.

txyaloo

Established Member
Good for him. Only FB group I've ever joined. Completely asinine someone can't fly an American flag any respectfully way possible.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I fail to see how they are a bunch of scumbags, the guy moved into a area with a hoa he knew the rules before he bought the place. Instead of requesting a variance or exemption he did what ever he wanted and got called out on it. While I am greatful for his service (I am serving as well) he went about this the wrong way, end of story. In. My opinion though his moh has nothing to do with the issue at hand only something to gain public support.

You shouldn't have to request anything to display the symbol of this nation, which you have served, in your own front yard :shrug:

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member

I agree with you in principle, if it was any other issue. But this is flying an American flag. He is not trying to plant a cherry tree or build an in-ground pool. They should pass some laws to limit HOAs concerning this matter.

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member

Just the fact of the people having a prob with the flag being flown is stupid. Who cares how he went about it. For someone who is serving I would think you would just be happy people still have that kind of respect for their country. I did 5 years myself and I fully support anyone that supports our country. No one should ever question paying tribute to those who have fallen and still serving.

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Did you all read the original post???? He was a mother-f'n commando!!!! This guy should get hero pay for the rest of his life IMO.

slow_99cobra

Established Member
That guys a straight up bad ass. I'd wouldn't have wanted to be the one in the HOA telling him to take down the flag.

Coiled03

Established Member
the fact that an hoa would tell anyone to take down a flag pole bearing an american flag is completely absurd and the fact that they'd do it to a man of his stature and valor is down right communist in nature

+65,000

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm glad he won. He should shit on the doorstep of every member of the HOA, and then raise a pirate flag as a final "**** you." I despise HOA's.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I found the HOA presidents number on another board and placed a call and politely voiced my opinion.

I also reminded him of the shit storm he would be bringing from the media and most of the nation.

plkdb

Established Member
The issue isn't the flag it's the flag pole. He was suggested alternatives to fly it within the previously established and AGREEDED upon guidelines. Someone who spent as much time in as him should be used to following rules. The issue isn't about the flag and never was. FYI he does get additional pay for being a moh recipient along with additional benefits not including his retirement pay.

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member
The issue isn't the flag it's the flag pole. He was suggested alternatives to fly it within the previously established and AGREEDED upon guidelines. Someone who spent as much time in as him should be used to following rules. The issue isn't about the flag and never was. FYI he does get additional pay for being a moh recipient along with additional benefits not including his retirement pay.

uk<american patriot

black 10th vert

Established Member
It's not like the guy was putting an old Camaro up on cinder blocks in the front yard! WTF is this country turning into?!!! No wonder we are such targets for terrorists, there is no damn loyalty even in this country!

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
"He also won the Purple Heart and other decorations, and served in Korea and Vietnam before retiring from the service in 1974."

Dude is a warrior plain and simple. Ashame he had to fight in three wars only to come home and fight another one against the Communist HOA.

Users who are viewing this thread