9 Sec Turbo Setup?

HoustonSVT

Army Strong
Established Member
I know there are some smart guys in here and I appreciate all the knowledge that is shared on here.

Can someone you really know provide me with a 9 sec turbo setup for a 03 Cobra?

Everything from engine, boost setup, tranny, rear end (preferably SRA) and gears.

Please keep it as streetable as possible and no more than 93 octane.

And I know this is very debatable but go ahead and list the turbo manufacturer and turbo size/setup.

Thanks in advance!

Mike:thumbsup:

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
I would think a built tecksid, worked over heads, some noice turbo cams, t-76 or higher or twins, th400 tranny/powerglide/etc.. and full fuel system would get you there :shrug:

TRBO VNM

how much money you looking to spend? do you want auto or manual?

any of the typical kits(hellion, HPP, HP, THP) out there will get you in the 9's.

somethng else you should consider, suspension. that will be a big part of getting in the 9's, along with a properly wheel/tire setup. Not that you are, but too many people overlook those things.

HoustonSVT

Army Strong
Established Member
how much money you looking to spend? do you want auto or manual?

any of the typical kits(hellion, HPP, HP, THP) out there will get you in the 9's.

somethng else you should consider, suspension. that will be a big part of getting in the 9's, along with a properly wheel/tire setup. Not that you are, but too many people overlook those things.

TRBO VNM,
I don't have a dollar figure in mind; this is something I would like to slowly work for. I would just like to know the best path to take.
Right now my next mod will be the SRA. Next some type of turbo setup. I am curious if there is a kit for compound boost that will only use a single turbo in the works, that would seem to be more for fitting for compound boost. Low end, then top.
I would then probably look at the tranny, auto is ok, then engine. This would just be worked on over the years.

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Anything that makes 700-800rwhp and weights 3200-3500 pounds with a DR or SLICK and has a decent suspention will hit 9s.
For instance if you had 3500#s, a slick, great suspention, 6 speed, 700rwhp and could drive like a monster you could probably hit 9s.
but obviously you'd want to try and get to 3200, slick, susp, and 800.
See what i'm saying?

Opinions on here are like assholes, everyone has one.
Compound boost is argueably the easiest streetable way to go. Keep the eaton you have and feed a small single turbo through it, you'll have fun wih instant spool around town and still make great top end power.

Go with a triple pump, bap, 80# injectors, upgraded rails and lines and you can make a good 900rwhp.

You can do this on the IRS but I wouldent. Go with a solid 33 or 35 spline built posi. out of a mach1, bullet, gt, etc.

Tranny is up to you, I would yoink the T56 out and build it up to viper spec but go a little further. That is if you like to shift, otherwise grab the manual out of a 03/04 GT and send that off to get built, they are extremely street friendly and shift nicely.

Clutch = a nice beefy twin disc like the mcleod, spec, etc.

I would run it with MT ET STREET Radials or nitto 555rs depending on how much you suck at driving.

The brands on everything doesnt matter. You could buy a single hellion turbo kit and take it to your tuner/exhaust shop and have them custom bend some pipe to make it feed your eaton, it'll work the same. Or have them custom build you a kit, the price is usually the same.

If you're going from a stock terminator to a 9sec car you're looking at around $12-15k depending on how much new vs used you buy.

good luck.

HoustonSVT

Army Strong
Established Member
Anything that makes 700-800rwhp and weights 3200-3500 pounds with a DR or SLICK and has a decent suspention will hit 9s.
For instance if you had 3500#s, a slick, great suspention, 6 speed, 700rwhp and could drive like a monster you could probably hit 9s.
but obviously you'd want to try and get to 3200, slick, susp, and 800.
See what i'm saying?

Opinions on here are like assholes, everyone has one.
Compound boost is argueably the easiest streetable way to go. Keep the eaton you have and feed a small single turbo through it, you'll have fun wih instant spool around town and still make great top end power.

Go with a triple pump, bap, 80# injectors, upgraded rails and lines and you can make a good 900rwhp.

You can do this on the IRS but I wouldent. Go with a solid 33 or 35 spline built posi. out of a mach1, bullet, gt, etc.

Tranny is up to you, I would yoink the T56 out and build it up to viper spec but go a little further. That is if you like to shift, otherwise grab the manual out of a 03/04 GT and send that off to get built, they are extremely street friendly and shift nicely.

Clutch = a nice beefy twin disc like the mcleod, spec, etc.

I would run it with MT ET STREET Radials or nitto 555rs depending on how much you suck at driving.

The brands on everything doesnt matter. You could buy a single hellion turbo kit and take it to your tuner/exhaust shop and have them custom bend some pipe to make it feed your eaton, it'll work the same. Or have them custom build you a kit, the price is usually the same.

If you're going from a stock terminator to a 9sec car you're looking at around $12-15k depending on how much new vs used you buy.

good luck.

Great Information,
Thanks for taking your time to wright that up. I was going to ask the question about the compound boost. Does anyone sell the kit for a single with a eaton, but you said to buy the single and have if fabed to fit the eaton. I wonder can anybody recommend a shop near houston that has experience with this. I was thinking of big single thou, why do you say small single? Wouldn't you try for more top end since you already have the eaton? Also when you said tranny on the GT did you mean to say manual or auto? And with the price of the fuel system you said wouldn't it be better to just go with a return system for about the same price?

Thanks again for the info.
Mike

Last edited:

YGETV8

Established Member
You'd need a pretty big single to feed the TOTAL horsepower that you are aiming for. The boost compounds through the supercharger, but the airflow potential doesn't. I'm no physics major so I can't really explain it, but that is it in a nutshell. That's why on OEM sequential turbos, you see a small one feeding a large one.

HoustonSVT

Army Strong
Established Member
You'd need a pretty big single to feed the TOTAL horsepower that you are aiming for. The boost compounds through the supercharger, but the airflow potential doesn't. I'm no physics major so I can't really explain it, but that is it in a nutshell. That's why on OEM sequential turbos, you see a small one feeding a large one.

Thats what I would think also, Digital, it appears from your sig. that you are running the blower and single, can you share what your setup is and how are you acheiving that awesome torque? I didn't see a N20 shot in your sig?

YGETV8

Established Member
Perhaps the torque is the result of his using a smaller turbo? Much like when you spin a blower past it's efficiency range, you seem to still gain torque? I'm guessing here... like I said, I'm no physics major!

Digital

Established Member
My numbers are estimated, It's really meant to say 700-900 hp&tq but u cant put dashes so i just put it in tq. My car isnt finished yet but I base most of my facts on others that have similiar setups.

On the note about the price if you do it right you can easily make that setup happen within 15k if you price things properly. You could do it for probably less then 7 if you hunt up good used deals. Just takes a lot longer going that route.

As far as the fuel system is concerned the better drivibility on a return system the more expensive the kit. You're looking at around 3k for so for a solid return system and sometimes they dont drive around town very well.
You're looking at around the same price for a returnless setup, lines, rails, pumps, hat, fpdm, and all. Obviously if you wanted to take it over 900 i'd say stick with return but returnless can handle 800-900, people have been doing it with KBs with nitrous long before turbos came around.

I'm going to clear up a little bit of the misconception about turbos and compound setups, so pay attention.

The 03/04 is essentially a mach1 with better goodies (300rwhp) with a eaton making 8-9#s of boost (375rwhp).
When you take the eaton off you've taken away 1/4 of the cars hp that it can use to spool the turbo. This has two effect, first off it makes it so you need more boost (read as bigger turbo) to get the power, and second you'll encounter more lag with the bigger turbo you go with.

If you have a engine making 200hp it's going to spool a turbo a lot slower then a engine making 500hp. Turbo size matching is also key. People stick 76mm turbos in cobras and make 600rwhp and wonder why they go into full boost at 5k rpm. The turbo isnt matched for your power expectations.

Using this theory if you're already making 400-450rwhp (slightly over-spun eaton) you only need to make 300-350rwhp (goal being 750rwhp) with the turbo. That's a LOT less hp to make up then if you started with 100-150 LESS hp. This being the case you will only need a mid 60mm turbo to get you that power and have the turbo be in its peak power level. The added bonus to using a smaller turbo is obviously the decreased turbo lag time.

I'm going to just throw fake numbers out there, none of these are real but they are within the realm of generals number for what I'm talking about.

Lets say the terminator engine makes 300rwhp stock. The eaton increases that by 75rwhp. Now you put a modest pulley on it and increase that by almost double, 125rwhp. You're making 425rwhp now. That's 425 hp pushing on your exhaust.
Now lets say you have a 76mm turbo, nothing fancy just a regular ol 76. The "peak operating" level of this turbo will give you 600rwhp ADDED hp. and would spool at 3500rpm. So with our setup if we fully utilised this turbo we would have 425+600 for 1025rwhp. Now are we going to be making that? no. We want to make 750. So we have 275 WASTED hp potential.... So why go 76? Lets try another size..
Lets say we use a 67.. Lets say the 67 makes 425 PEAK hp potential and spools at 2500rpm. Now we 425+425 = 850. Now that's much closer to the number we want to be at. And we have dropped 1000 rpm spool time.
Hopefuly that logic makes sense. Now obviously these numbers arent all 100% but they are fairly close, and this is all based upon a compound setup. You would INCREASE the spool time GREATLY the less hp you have to start out with obviously.
As an example the 67 spooling at 2500 would probably change to atleast 4000-4500, but you'd make the same power more or less because of the PEAK potential.

Some may argue well.. at 4k rpm I'm in my powerband after 1st gear, and this is very true.. but on the street you don't drive at 4k rpm.. you drive around 2k.. which is where you will see turbo lag all day long.

Last edited:

YGETV8

Established Member
I've never heard it described in this manner. Makes sense I guess, but it was my understanding that the bigger of the two power adders needed to be able to support your overall horsepower goal due to the airflow demands of said goal? I though that was the reasoning behind Hellion's use of 61mm turbos (vs. 50 or 57) with their compound kit? Again, I'm definitely a layman here, so bear with me!

Digital

Established Member
Hellion likes to go over kill I noticed. They also don't tend to have different hp level kits. Just quality of kits.

blowns281

GARAGE QUEEN
Established Member
check this car out, from what i remember its a hellion single kit, precision 76 turbo, auto, and not much else.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwembJ2pDY4]YouTube - westside motoring fast turbo cobra[/ame]

TRBO VNM

Digital,

I assume the cost you are talking about for the build is the turbo cost? There is no way someone is going to do a motor, turbo kit, tranny setup and rear end setup for 7k, let about 15k. used or new. unless you start talking junk yard stuff and then you are lucky if it pulls out of the driveway.

on the fuel system, you mentioned 3k and driveability issues and that is a cheap kit? granted, you can go a lot more expensive, but my setup will be under $2k and driveability should be almost like stock.

you have some really good info in here, but on your example, I know you say you are throwing fake numbers out there, but then they are close, I am still learning about compound setups myself, but I don't think you can just add the hp from the eaton and turbo to come up with a total number. or is that just more of a generic example you are trying to use? People just need to realize it is what it is, just an example and shouldn't take it as gospel.

the reason you don't see single compound setups is because of the location of the turbo. you are limited with placement locations since you still need everything up in front of the motor for the eaton setup.

hellion offers anything from 62's to 76's in all their kits and actually with the twin kit you can go smaller if you want. so they do offer different power levels. how can all that be overkill?

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
I'm going to plainly say that Digital does not know what he is talking about. I can't fully express myself in this situation outside of smackdown.

Users who are viewing this thread