9 Sec TT 03 Cobra

BLK_03

Established Member
Well... when I built this car, I built it with 2 goals in mind. 150mph trap, and a 9.99 while staying full weight with all the crap Ford put in it (A/C, stereo, interior, etc...) I accomplished both tonight.

*Click For Original Build Thread*

After my first outing last Tuesday with the new solid axle, and watching the car on video, I overnighted an adjustable set of coilover struts for the front. Should have done that a LONG time ago as it proved to be exactly what the car needed. I've been on the stock Cobra Billstein struts up to this point. You could not move the front of the car up/down at all... still as a board. With the new coilovers on, you could bounce the car up and down quite easily.

We were racing a "Battle of the Boards" event at a Midnight Madness on a pro tree, and I wanted to rack up a few points for our local board. The pro tree was throwing me off a bit, as there are quite a few things I have to do/look at inside the car to get the car ready to leave and with my eyes glued on the tree, I can't do that. My first 2 races I focused soley on the tree. In the semis against the Camaro (low 8 second car), I knew there was no chance, so I ignored the pro tree and just made sure it built a little more boost on the line. I launched with 5 or 6 pounds. Still weak sauce as I would like to have left with more boost, but when the Camaro left in the lane next to me, I pooped my pants a little and let go of the Tbrake, lol.

My first race of the night, I ran a [email protected] 1/4 with a 6.6@110 1/8th with a 1.70 60'. Launched with little to no boost but cut a good light, bogged the 60', then the car came on like a train. Goal #1 accomplished and oooohhhhh so close to the 9 second pass.

Track tech wasn't too happy about that, as I have no cage or parachute. He said to slow it down. Next pass,hard on the brakes after the eighth, I ran a 6.5@ 113 1/8th and a 10.4 @ 98 1/4 with a 1.69 60'. That would have been my 9 sec pass I was looking for if I had stayed in it. UUGGGHHH.

Next round, this happened!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFQ52Gaa-0"]YouTube - BLK 03 9 Sec[/ame]

After everything I've been through with the car, the feeling when reading that slip after picking it up at the booth was indescribable. That pass and 60' fealt pretty good, so I was expecting another low 10, maybe a high 9. I think I threw my helmet against the backseat as hard as I could in excitement while screaming like a little girl once I read the slip, lol. No joke. [email protected] 1/4 and a [email protected] 1/8 with a 1.68 60'.

On that pass, I was bouncing off the rev limiter for about 1 second at the end of the track. The converter is a touch too loose when the boost is up, so ET and MPH suffered a little. I hate it when people say this, but that car has a good 1/2 second, maybe more in it with the correct converter and once I get a little more boost off the line to get that 60' down.

Thanks to my buddy Paul of LoProRaceCars.com for building a deadly consistent, straigt as an arrow, badass rearend.

Huge thanks to 03Steve for his help with lining the car up and finding that groove, being the food bitch, and toting all the extra crap around in the truck. Thanks man.

Also an enormously huge thanks to my friend Jon Lund who has had his hands on the car, tuning and giving advice almost every step of the way over the last 5 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread