9 inch axle swap

JP0814GT

Established Member
35 spline is the final verdict! :)
Most likely Moser M9.. Final order of my 9 this coming Tuesday. :)

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
Finally pulled the trigger today with JPC on the new Moser M9. Always wanted a 9 so its on now!

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Just laid down a 1.48 60ft with a Moser built 8.8 and MT82. I run 33 spline axles, wavetrac, 3.25 ring and pinion, welded tubes, ect. My car will only be a 10 sec manual car so I stuck with the 8.8.
Yes, im quoting myself. I just sheared off about 20 teeth of the ring gear on my rear. My car makes 630whp, 3800 race weight, rxt clutch, on a 4600rpm two step. Makes me think a 9" would have been the better solution.

JP0814GT

Established Member
That sucks! Your leaving pretty hard! I'm going with 3.25 ratio on the 9" with the iron case for strength. And doing the back brace mines auto trans but I'm adding a trans brake when they do the rear so rather be safe than sorry..

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we just got done snapping moser 35 splines last weekend in Maryland on the 8.8

we are a dealer for moser and strange and opted for doing a strange 9" direct bolt in, 1/8" shorter on each side.

the strange setup is about 25lbs over the weight of the 8.8 and is about a 3% loss on the standard package over an 8.8. we are doing a couple upgrades that we offer which should get the power closer to a 1% loss.

we are also doing 40 spline axles,

JP0814GT

Established Member
Yep 35 spline is bad ass one thing most people should know is 35 spline is also the largest spline option that you can choose nearly any diff limited slip, locker or spool. 40 spline is SPOOL ONLY and if you end up hating the spool you'll have to swap back to 35 spline every thing including diff and bearings to change it. Most people especially street strip combo probably aren't going to break a 35 spline. 9 inch is what most of the faster cars run regardless. Setup right 9 inch is king...
The truth is it all subject to break on a prepped drag strip if you continue to push power and launch rpm level up up up.. :)

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
35 spline 9" is the King street / Strip high HP option period if you consider you can have the flexibility to do nearly any differential you like period and it will take a shit load of power to boot..
Cobra Jets run 9" with 35 spline axles..

Drag only 40 spline is stronger.

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
M9 has arrived!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417728940292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417728940292.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 312
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417728951541.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417728951541.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 303

JP0814GT

Established Member
Is there any added gear whine with the 9"?
Some others may know that answer. My center section was pre assembled by Moser so they installed the gears bearings and every thing so its simple bolt in axles and center section in housing. I would assume if the center section is setup correctly there wouldn't be any additional whine.
Same as if a 8.8 isn't setup right I had that happen by a local shop on my 08 GT and it whined till it burned the pinion bearing up they had it shimed to tight loading the bearing up and it failed. Had to rebuild again..

Last edited:

90secdak

Established Member
9" differential power loss

I keep hearing that about 9 inch robbing power. But would like to see fact on this. If I'm running a 8.8 with 9 inch ends heavy 35 Spline axles to handle 1000+ HP leaving on a transbrake. Compared to A 9 inch 35 spline axles the only difference is the chunk/center section how much power is truely robbed? I would think in this built up heavy duty application it wouldn't be a large difference?

If there were any appreciable ET difference between the 9" style differential and anything else, all the late model NHRA Stockers ie... Cobra Jet, Dragpak, and COPO would be running a different rear end, they all run 9" style rear ends these cars are loaded with every trick imaginable to squeeze all the ET that possible.

Users who are viewing this thread