9 inch axle swap

JP0814GT

Established Member
I'm searching for info on a 2011 - 2014 from 8.8 - 9" swap upgrade for these cars. I'm considering going to a 9 instead of full buildup of my 2014 GT's 8.8. I have searched but can't seem to find a tread with this swap? Please post link to svt thread if I missed it or if you have any tips or info please post.

I'm looking to go min 33 spline to maximum of 35 spline with Wavetrac diff.
Thx!

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Just laid down a 1.48 60ft with a Moser built 8.8 and MT82. I run 33 spline axles, wavetrac, 3.25 ring and pinion, welded tubes, ect. My car will only be a 10 sec manual car so I stuck with the 8.8.

JP0814GT

Established Member
Thanks for the responses! An 8.8 can take a bit of punishment and I may build mine to the hilt but if I can do a 9 in the ball park of full build up 8.8 I'm probably going 9. I sent messages to Strange, Moser, Currie & Team Z to see what my options may be I'm almost convinced Strange has the best options for these 3 Link models and they did the Cobra Jet rears for Ford.

JP0814GT

Established Member
I also found the the Strange CJ 9" is 2 inches narrowed 1 inch shorter on both sides. I'm now more curious of added tire size options and interested in this for sure.

stangn

Established Member
I have a custom made fab 9" from category five race cars in Zephyrhills Florida. It's narrowed 1&1/4 each side and I run a 6.2" back spacing on the 10" wheel. BMR makes the 9" upper arm otherwise it all bolted in. Just specify you need late model stang ends and the stock brakes will bolt on as well.

JP0814GT

Established Member
I have a custom made fab 9" from category five race cars in Zephyrhills Florida. It's narrowed 1&1/4 each side and I run a 6.2" back spacing on the 10" wheel. BMR makes the 9" upper arm otherwise it all bolted in. Just specify you need late model stang ends and the stock brakes will bolt on as well.
Nice! I really like the looks of the Fab9! I really want to retain the stock brakes this sounds like a really good option I like the back space your running looks a lot better than a 7.5 bs drag wheel these cars have to run stock.

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
I keep hearing that about 9 inch robbing power. But would like to see fact on this. If I'm running a 8.8 with 9 inch ends heavy 35 Spline axles to handle 1000+ HP leaving on a transbrake. Compared to A 9 inch 35 spline axles the only difference is the chunk/center section how much power is truely robbed? I would think in this built up heavy duty application it wouldn't be a large difference?

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
The power loss of the 9" due to the pinion height gets thrown around a lot but I haven't seen any back to back tests to show what it loses. I went with the strange CJ rear which was a bolt in deal (I did strange brakes as well though), and dig it and do like the look of extra backspacing on the drag wheels. I sometimes wish I had stayed with the 8.8 since my car ended up so light.

JP0814GT

Established Member
Hey Bud thanks for posting seen you run in bowling green. It was my first pass in the new ride jpc precision turbo I screwed the pass up and was dq'd lol. Still learning my combo :). Its fun! I am also about to order a Strange bolt in 35 spline setup did you use the BMR 9" upper adjustable ca? My cars 6R80 auto JPC will be adding a trans brake function upgrading trans internals at same time

Bud

Established Member
BG was fun, was a bummer you got timed out on the tree. I'm still learning too, not many passes in the car. Hopefully they run the event again next year at BG and we can all meet up, run, and hang out again. Next year needs some more beers involved.

I am running the racecraft upper arm and mount, but my car sits really high. For a lowered car I think you would pretty much have to have the BMR UCA which has the right angle to clear properly. If I lowered my car my UCA would hit my housing/center. You will love the brake on the 6r80, nothing as fun as building boost on the brake and letting go of the button

stangn

Established Member
I run the BMR 9" upper and I'm lowered on Steeda boss rears. The arm hits the floor pan on large bumps, it sucks! I have to clearance the floor pan or try the standard arm, think it might work on my housing.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
I have a Moser fabricated 9" with aluminium center section for my 14.
20140929_104612.jpg

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
BG was fun, was a bummer you got timed out on the tree. I'm still learning too, not many passes in the car. Hopefully they run the event again next year at BG and we can all meet up, run, and hang out again. Next year needs some more beers involved.

I am running the racecraft upper arm and mount, but my car sits really high. For a lowered car I think you would pretty much have to have the BMR UCA which has the right angle to clear properly. If I lowered my car my UCA would hit my housing/center. You will love the brake on the 6r80, nothing as fun as building boost on the brake and letting go of the button
I agree on the more beer next year :) also hopefully the rain will stay away!

JP0814GT

Established Member
Well we're weighing the Moser M9 option now! It sure looks great. Its time to get serious so 40 Spline Spool 9 and done.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
I'm running 35 spline with a wavetrack. I am told that should hold anything I could throw at it, and I'm running twin 67mm.

sean04

Established Member
Does anyone know the weight difference between the 9" and 8.8. And how much does the aluminum center sections save you. And are the axle tubes larger on the 9"? Wondering if it will affect ride height in the rear

JP0814GT

Established Member
I'm running 35 spline with a wavetrack. I am told that should hold anything I could throw at it, and I'm running twin 67mm.
Yep I'm still researching the 40 spline vs 35 im not sure that 40 is nessasary I am also finding info that tapper bearing may not be available on a 40 spline only 1 ball bearing option. So 35 spline may end up being what I go with with a split drag and street car. Plus with 35 there is more options on differential's.

Users who are viewing this thread