9.5 aluminator vs 11to1

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Interesting read. I'm going 10.1 compression on my build. So I hope you are correct on no power loss. From what I've heard you lose some power and are less prone to detonation. Guess you are doing something right.

bigriff85

Established Member
i back larry on this. we just did this with my car as well. I lost 10hp NA on the dyno (car didn't have tune in it w/ the 9.5:1 i'm sure tuned it'd make exactly the same) then we boosted it and it made the same # as the 11:1 did.

specizripn

Established Member
Why is the 9.5 making almost as much power as the 11:1? Does the stronger and lighter rotating assembly on the illuminator make up power, or are there any other differences that would put these so close in power?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Ya, I'd like to know too. Lower cylinder pressure with the same timing advance should not produce the same power. I understand being able to up the boost to gain back that cylinder pressure, but without doing that I don't understand running the same times.... unless the other motor was hurt and down on power.

stretchb

Established Member
Swapping turbos has nothing to do with it? ;-)

same turbos.

the first built motor that broke that went 9.20s had the 67's on it. I have not had a tune change since before it blew up.

when I put the stock motor in to replace the blown one I put the smaller turbos on. I took the car to the track with same tune but started boost lower and went 9.58@148 11psi, 9.46@152 13.5psi, 9.37@154 15.6psi. state capitol raceway

went to track again and ran 2 more 9.37s at 150. 15.6psi with stocker. Baytown.

changed to aluminator went to track opening day Baytown 1/3/14 and left every the same made 2 passes went 9.37 at 150 boost still read 15.6psi

went to evadale 1/11/14 ran 9.40 at 150. boost still 15.6psi

all of these passes have been logged and I do have a 1/2 shift issue going on(on all passes) due to the converter being too loose.....we think :(

Bud

Established Member
all of these passes have been logged and I do have a 1/2 shift issue going on(on all passes) due to the converter being too loose.....we think :(

That is an interesting point, wonder if the converter is too loose to realize any efficiency/power gains of the 11 to 1. You would have to think upping the compression would have to make more power, how little and if noticeable on an ET slip who knows.

REDS197

Established Member
This is different than a blower with a fixed pulley. You have a boost controller keeping boost up for the lower compression piston to maintain the boost at 15.6 psi. So your turbo's are making up some of the difference for the lower compression piston.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This is different than a blower with a fixed pulley. You have a boost controller keeping boost up for the lower compression piston to maintain the boost at 15.6 psi. So your turbo's are making up some of the difference for the lower compression piston.

Exactly what I was thinking.

stretchb

Established Member
That is an interesting point, wonder if the converter is too loose to realize any efficiency/power gains of the 11 to 1. You would have to think upping the compression would have to make more power, how little and if noticeable on an ET slip who knows.

I do agree. I know my car 60ft is great, 330 time sux and my 1/8 is consistant 6.04-6.06 which sux. (the break a block pass was probably 22psi+ and the 1/8 was only 5.93 @123 et sucked)

the 1/4 trap speed have been 150 with both compressions though.....

Users who are viewing this thread