800 SAE on CA pump 91:

Shaun@AED

Customer brought in his wife's 14 GT500 for tuning today. Turned out to be quite a performer.
Mods:
L&M Cams
2.4" blower pulley
FRPP MonoBlade
JLT CAI
Full exhaust
Pump 91 octane

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice, looks it pulls clean up top.
Do you think the cams helped it safely tolerate the 91 octane?
How much left in the stock injectors?

How much boost?
-J

Shaun@AED

Very nice, looks it pulls clean up top.
Do you think the cams helped it safely tolerate the 91 octane?
How much left in the stock injectors?

How much boost?
-J
Most definately the cams were THE reason this engine tolerated 91 with the 2.4" blower pulley. On CA 91 we find the STOCK blower pulley makes more power by 20-30 over a 2.4" on pump gas. The cams moved peak cylinder pressure UP in RPM allowing us to pulley down on pump and still have proper ignition timing.

Peak boost was 16psi, dropping to 14-15 up top.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Most definately the cams were THE reason this engine tolerated 91 with the 2.4" blower pulley. On CA 91 we find the STOCK blower pulley makes more power by 20-30 over a 2.4" on pump gas. The cams moved peak cylinder pressure UP in RPM allowing us to pulley down on pump and still have proper ignition timing.

Peak boost was 16psi, dropping to 14-15 up top.

Curious if it left the shop on that tune or did you back off some on the timing to account for the vagaries of fuel?

Zemedici

Established Member
Good numbers Sean, we did cams on a Trinity car a couple months ago, and got high 700s with it.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
7,500 rpm on stock rods or is it a built short?
It's not high rpms that kill these motors. Everyone seems to think this for some reason. It's peak torque. If the motor is going to go it's going to go around 4k

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice Shaun.

What are your go to mods on the 13-14 cars for efficient and safe power/tune (around700rwp) ?

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not high rpms that kill these motors. Everyone seems to think this for some reason. It's peak torque. If the motor is going to go it's going to go around 4k
While I agree with you that peak cylinder pressure and then peak detonation potential occurs at peak torque, I'll let you know high RPM took out my oil pump gears, so don't dismiss RPM limits.
I was datalogging when they let go and tune was more than safe (93 w/ Torco 15% lower stock upper around 750rwhp) but shocking them with a power shift at high RPM took them out.
Respect octane and RPM and these can live a long life.
I didn't listen to my own words but I was pushing limits and was ready to rebuild.
-J

ROBBY92COUPE

Established Member
AED FTW shaun is the man. This is my wifes car. He tuned my shelby with the same setup just on e85. I couldn't be any happier with his work.

Users who are viewing this thread