$8.11 later and I'm now the proud owner of..

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
FYI-

Mobil-1 has there Rebate-Promo back... well sorta...
This time it's a prepaid card versus a paper-check [CASH]

$10 rebate on the "gold" extended-performance 5-quart jug
$8 rebate on the standard Mobil-1 5-quart jug

As Usual... Wally World is the cheapest $24.47 [Mobil-1] & $26.47 [Gold/Extended]

muscleatsrice

Established Member
Do you folks who do it yourself have a local used-oil disposal center?

I remember as a kid my dad would always dig a hole in the backyard, dump the used oil, and cover it up. 3 times a year for many years. You had to be careful not to step on a new burial ground.

That’s crazy burying it! I have a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids. Once they are full I take them down to auto zone, it’s free for them to discard. One time younger kid working there took my bucket to go dump it. When he came back his shirt was covered in used oil. He said it was heavier then he thought haha

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

I remember as a kid my dad would always dig a hole in the backyard, dump the used oil, and cover it up. 3 times a year for many years. You had to be careful not to step on a new burial ground.
The county will pick it up here on garbage day, but it needs to be in see through jugs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That’s crazy burying it! I have a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids. Once they are full I take them down to auto zone, it’s free for them to discard. One time younger kid working there took my bucket to go dump it. When he came back his shirt was covered in used oil. He said it was heavier then he thought haha

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Yes, it WAS. I'm talking back in the late '50s. I don't know if it was common back then, but it wasn't uncommon.

The county will pick it up here on garbage day, but it needs to be in see through jugs.
That's a nice service, Brad. Up here, you have to find a place that accepts used oil. I'm not aware of any here in Cheshire, but at one point there was one but the shop closed down. My oil changes are free, so I don't have to try to find a disposal location.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Used oil...Benefits of running a diesel shop. I just bring it to work and dump it in with the rest of the used stuff. When I took this gig we were paying a company to come pick it up. They would charge me upwards of $350 each month and then they'd sell it off to paving companies. I changed that. Got a guy who takes it for free and uses it to heat his shops during the winter.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

My father always poured the used oil at the base of the posts of our stockade fence. Those suckers never rotted out

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
All our parts stores have them, plus I’m a 10min drive from the county recycling center. Interestingly, the parts stores always ask if it’s just oil I’m dumping, so I asked at the county where to dump trans and brake fluid and they said the same tank as the used oil.

Funny you mention the backyard dumping. My dad would do the same - always said the next person that owns the house would start digging and think they struck black gold!
I called oriellys about tranny fluid and asked if they would take it and the dude said "as long as it's not coolant."

Which begs the question, how are we supposed to recycle coolant? I had like 5 gallons from flushing the mustang and called around, most places their minimum was 250 gallons.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I called oriellys about tranny fluid and asked if they would take it and the dude said "as long as it's not coolant."

Which begs the question, how are we supposed to recycle coolant? I had like 5 gallons from flushing the mustang and called around, most places their minimum was 250 gallons.
contact your local municipality, they usually have free hazardous waste drop off locations. Around here it's at the county run landfill and transfer stations. They will take basically any kind of chemical along with electronics, they just double check your license to make sure you're a local resident.

with oil prices where they are the store is getting paid for your used oil but if there's coolant in there above a certain % they'll get charged instead of paid

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

In my neighbor as a kid, people poured their used oil on the gravel in the alleys. Hell, the city did it to keep the dust down.

About 2x year, I take my used oil to the county site. My filters get lost.

Users who are viewing this thread