7.3L Godzilla owners: Another MPG Question

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For all you owners that have the 7.3L Godzilla, what axle ratio do you have, what size tire do you run and what are you average real world MPGs? Im looking for a difference between unlaiden 3.73 (edited from 3.55 which is diesel only) and 4.30 equipped trucks. I know the Tremor guys have the 4.30s, but are also running 35's from the factory. This vehicle will be my daily so I must factor in MPG. The 6.7 Powerstroke is a great engine, but I do not want to pay an extra 8K for torque Ill never need. I also dont have any desire to deal with Diesel emissions equipment outside of a warranty.

Wife and I decided that as we try for kid #2, we will need a new family war wagon. While my Excursion has been a fairly decent vehicle so far, its already 20 years old. Its not really feasible to ask it to go another 20 years problem free.

We need something more capable, as well as a vehicle thats ready for at least 10-15 years of use problem free. In a perfect world, its the last truck I have to buy. The thought of replacing head gaskets on a OHV Godzilla is FAR more palatable than head gaskets on my old and crusty OHC 6.8 V10. Though, until recent overheating issues its been problem free-ish.

Ideally I want an F350 XL CC SB 4x4 with the 7.3. There is a 4,000lb 5th wheel towing difference between an F350 with 3.73s (edited again from 3.55 which is diesel only) and 4.30s. I dont tow too regularly now. However, as the kid gets older we are very interested in buying a camper (daddy wants a toy hauler and dirt bikes). I dont want to be handicapped if we want to "go big" per se.

So, MPGs.... what you got?

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What is your work commute? Or a better question.. realistically, how many miles would you drive it per week?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
What is your work commute? Or a better question.. realistically, how many miles would you drive it per week?
25 miles round trip daily. Half city, half freeway. So 125 miles every week for commuting. Add in 50-100 miles on the weekend so about 250 a week, 1000 miles a month of planned use.

You’re getting an f350 and worrying about gas mileage ?

Not worried per se but I would like to know. When I swapped from 3.73s to 4.10s in my GT500, I noticed a few mpg less city and highway.

As big a spread between 3.55s and 4.30 are, it could mean I say F it and give up 2 tons of towing capacity for a tangible decrease in the weekly fuel bill.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
25 miles round trip daily. Half city, half freeway. So 125 miles every week for commuting. Add in 50-100 miles on the weekend so about 250 a week, 1000 miles a month of planned use.

Not worried per se but I would like to know. When I swapped from 3.73s to 4.10s in my GT500, I noticed a few mpg less city and highway.

As big a spread between 3.55s and 4.30 are, it could mean I say F it and give up 2 tons of towing capacity for a tangible decrease in the weekly fuel bill.

Would you plan to keep it stock? Or lift and bigger tires in the future? Those maybe factors on deciding gears. I personally have no experience with a 7.3. But i would say 4.30s no matter what. Basically because it will keep you from possibly limiting yourself to anything in the future.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If the truck says Super Duty, you just hook up and go. Tow ratings are for limp wristed nerds
Sorry boss, I hold a CDL. I cant play loose like that. Even for personal vehicles that are NOT commercial, Im held to a stricter standard. In the eyes of Arizona and the Feds, Im a professional driver. If I cause an accident (legit or not) and Im found out of compliance due to something like overloading, I could get my license to drive anything suspended or revoked.

That happens, I could lose my job due to not having a valid CDL.

@me32 Probably going to be a 2023 model for us, hoping its a carryover or last year before the next SD generation.

Looks like the Google overlords were reading my google searches and my post here. Found this on the tube

Dude is in AZ, driving the same conditions I drive. Around 18 mpg highway indicated give or take in an unloaded Tremor at 75. 35's, CC SB 4x4 and 4.30 gears. That is totally within my acceptable parameters. Hell combined city and highway of 15-16 would make me VERY happy.

My Excursion gets 8mpg on a good day... Im in for 4.30s and some 35's on a Super Duty.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol I think if you are expecting 15-16 combined MPG from a 7500 lb gas truck on 35’s with 4.30 gears I have some beach front property to sell you in 29 Palms CA.

Not going to happen bro.. not even a little bit close.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
My Tremor with the 7.3L, 4.30 gears and Toyo MT 35s gets around 12.4 MPG daily use. Took it on a 4800 mile trip cross country recently and averaged 13.4 MPG. (edit - I was not towing anything. Just me, my wife and our luggage.)

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My Tremor with the 7.3L, 4.30 gears and Toyo MT 35s gets around 12.4 MPG daily use. Took it on a 4800 mile trip cross country recently and averaged 13.4 MPG. (edit - I was not towing anything. Just me, my wife and our luggage.)

Ouch. My 350 DRW 6.7 averaged 12mpg with 3 weeks worth of luggage for 5 in the bed and pulling a 10k lb 20' trailer with my Raptor, 450R, and X3 from VA to Utah and back. Oh and the air filter was apparently clogged enough to start triggering a CEL for low boost when we got back.... whoops

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

That sounds about right. My 6.4 PSD truck averages ~17MPG on a trip and ~13.5 around town. It's also requires 4 gallons of oil and a $20 oil filter.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Dare I say I'm not sure what benefit you'll get with 3.55's lugging around a 7k+ truck in city traffic, even with the 10 speed. Maybe if you had a longer highway commute I would see the benefit.

Isn't there a 3.73 option along with the 4.30's?

I would go 4.3's so you are set up long term for payload/towing.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Dare I say I'm not sure what benefit you'll get with 3.55's lugging around a 7k+ truck in city traffic, even with the 10 speed. Maybe if you had a longer highway commute I would see the benefit.

Isn't there a 3.73 option along with the 4.30's?

I would go 4.3's so you are set up long term for payload/towing.

I don't see enough benefit to 3.55s to offset any loss of mileage with 4.30s (small as it may be).

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
First, Im a genuine tard. The offering for gas is 3.73s or 4.30 not 3.55 to 4.30. I edited the OP.

.... so thats still a 50% increase in daily MPG over my Excursion....... lmao!!!!!!

@gimmie11s Well, i suppose thats what I get for believing a video not using hand calcs. Im a ****ing noob sometimes.

Even at 12.5 mpg average, for a big block, im still impressed. If i spend the same amount on fuel as I do now ($130 a tank for 44 gallons current pricing), the 7.3 gets an extra 200miles out of that.... thats significant considering its 4.30s and 35's and a 1 ton rated truck.

Im genuinely curious how 3.73s would do as a daily.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Just FYI - full tank in my Tremor is normally 383 miles, according to the trip computer. It does not have a big fuel tank.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just FYI - full tank in my Tremor is normally 383 miles, according to the trip computer. It does not have a big fuel tank.
Its 29 gallons if Im not mistaken right?

So id have to stop about nearly the same frequency as I do now and I save 50 bucks every time.... well thats still a win for me

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
First, Im a genuine tard. The offering for gas is 3.73s or 4.30 not 3.55 to 4.30. I edited the OP.

.... so thats still a 50% increase in daily MPG over my Excursion....... lmao!!!!!!

@gimmie11s Well, i suppose thats what I get for believing a video not using hand calcs. Im a ****ing noob sometimes.

Even at 12.5 mpg average, for a big block, im still impressed. If i spend the same amount on fuel as I do now ($130 a tank for 44 gallons current pricing), the 7.3 gets an extra 200miles out of that.... thats significant considering its 4.30s and 35's and a 1 ton rated truck.

Im genuinely curious how 3.73s would do as a daily.

They are still bad ass trucks and the 7.3 IMO is the best gas offering right now of the big 3.

Just keep your expectations realistic and also keep in the mind the idea that gas prices are going to continue to rise in the short term..

Users who are viewing this thread