7.3 or 6.0

bullitt1289

stateside again
Established Member
im looking into getting a superduty when i get back from iraq. what would you guys reccomend the 7.3 or the 6.0?

skyhighsd

Established Member
im looking into getting a superduty when i get back from iraq. what would you guys reccomend the 7.3 or the 6.0?

6.0 is a good motor but the 7.3 is a great motor. Ford had there hands into the 6.0 too much unlike the 7.3 which was all designed by Navistar(international). Very good friend off mine is a eng. for Navistar and I have heard all of the horror storys between ford and them. I have had my 7.3 for eight years and have had zero issues with it and its not stock. The only problems I have had are due to me lifting my truck so much. I havent spent a dime on repairs to the motor, the trans did go out on me after 150k but not bad compared to other trucks I have owned over the years. I am not saying 6.0 is a bad motor but it had way more than its share of problems and some had none at all but if you can find a low mileage 7.3 I would jump on it.

bullitt1289

stateside again
Established Member
a guy a works with clams to know a lot about the new diesels and saying the 6.0's have a habit of blowing head gaskets when you turn up the boost. any truth to that?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
a guy a works with clams to know a lot about the new diesels and saying the 6.0's have a habit of blowing head gaskets when you turn up the boost. any truth to that?

Yes, they have fewer head bolts than the 7.3. If you're going to run a lot of boost on a 6.0 you'll need to have it studded.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Yes, they have fewer head bolts than the 7.3. If you're going to run a lot of boost on a 6.0 you'll need to have it studded.

+1

and another thing you should do if you purchase the 6.0 is to delete the egr cooler, but keep it on the truck so you dont have to re route any cooling becuase the coolant flow goes from the oil cooler to the egr cooler. they make kits for this and if you can find some one to do it relatively inexpensive along with some head studs and have them make sure that the high pressure oil pump has the latest fitting on the back of the pump (05-07), you can cure three of the bigger problems that you will see out of the 6.0. also if you buy a 6.0, buy a later one (05-07), the wiring on the truck is a whole lot better than the 03 and 04's. maintain it and def keep your oil changes up to date since the injectors are fired off of high pressure oil and make sure you change the fuel filters when you are supposed to and the truck will last a pretty good while.

the 7.3 however is a hell of a truck and will last forever if you take care of it just like anything else. stock for stock tho the 6.0 will out run a 7.3 and all what i wrote above are the first things i would do to my 6.0 before i even started modding it or throwing more boost at it or whatever.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I have an 02 7.3 dually and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. It just hit 93,000 miles today. I was never tempted by the 6.0 due to all of the problems but the later production models are definately better. I wouldn't go near the first two years. The new truck is tempting due to the new body but I don't want the payment.

If you can find a clean, lower-mileage 7.3 you will be very pleased.

Tom

Fuxton

Established Member

yep hes right. I should know. Im probably the only one to blow the head gaskets with ARP studs and hypermax gaskets lol. It seems like the 6.0s are hit or miss...

Fuxton

Established Member
If thats directed towards me I have an exhaust, intake, and an SCT programmer tuned by innovative diesel.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have an '02 for sale. It has 109K miles and I have never had a problem with mine. I bought a brand spanking new '08 to get a crew cab, other wise I would keep it forever. Who knows, if it does not sell, I may keep it anyway. Like has already been stated, the 7.3 is a bullet proof motor. The 6.0 has great potential, but your tossing the dice with reliability.

M240Bravo

Established Member
Where in Iraq are you? I'm here too and I'm going to sell my Lightning and by a 99-04 7.3 when I get back.

bullitt1289

stateside again
Established Member
i was at kirkuk last year. no im not secfor. differant type of unit. cant say too much about what we do on here tho. you know how it is. all that top secret squirrel shit. how long you stuck here for?

bullitt1289

stateside again
Established Member
Definitely a 7.3!! Can't go wrong, the 7.3 in my sig is for sale, when are you getting back? Im heading out in Feb.

im not sure when im gonna be back yet. could be january or i might be stuck here till june. i cant see any of the pics. they block all that stuff on the internet here. can you email me some?

Users who are viewing this thread