7.0 earthquake in Alaska

MG0h3

Established Member
I just rolling up to a stop light when it hit. I remember thinking I ran something over for a split second then realizing that couldn't be; truck must've been moving up and down close to a foot.

Heard lots of screaming. Park across the street was full of people for Easter and everyone was on the ground already or falling down.

Lots of people were traumatized and slept in their front yard for a week until.the tremors stopped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I've been through two here in Wa, a couple in California, and a few in Japan, but the biggest was the 6.4 Nisqually quake here in Wa when I was in 9th grade. I remember watching the floor roll like a 2ft wave while we were under our desks and I always wondered how it settles back into place correctly with no visible damage. This 7.0 Alaska quake sounds like it lasted a long time though. The Nisqually quake felt like a short one, but I dont remember exactly how long it was.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The bigger the are the longer they last. 8+ last for 2 min or longer. 7+ a good minute.
So quakes are slow and rolly some are fast and rigid(back and forth with quick stops). This Alaska quake looked like a rigid one which probably made it feel bigger than it was.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
The longer the time between quakes the sharper and greater they are. If you have a lot of little ones the stress is being relieved. If you do not have one in decades when it does hit it will be quite a jolt. Last big one there was in 64 so had a lot of time to build what with all the one happening on the lower 48.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
I was in the 9.1 earth quake that took place in Japan. Friday 11 March 2011, I was stationed in Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan. Never felt anything more devastating in my life. I was to the south when it hit above Tokyo out in the ocean near Sendai. Almost felt like slow motion, I’m looking around like why is the ground stretching and why are the buildings moving feels surreal.

Users who are viewing this thread