6R80 Transbrake, No purchase necessary

01bluesnake

Established Member
What i will say to guys looking to do the trans brake mod, make sure you have a converter set up for a trans brake, the stock one won't last long. Also keep trans temps in check as this will wreak havoc on the fluid and internal components.

Bud

Established Member
Are any of the Coyote engine builders offering a Torrington thrust bearing?

Has anybody lost a thrust bearing on these coyotes yet? Correct converter spacing and the limited converter charge in the 6r80 I'd be interested to hear if anybody has trashed one. My converter circuit is limited in my glide just for that reason.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Has anybody lost a thrust bearing on these coyotes yet? Correct converter spacing and the limited converter charge in the 6r80 I'd be interested to hear if anybody has trashed one. My converter circuit is limited in my glide just for that reason.

I haven't heard of any. I know we ran the line pressure as high as it could be put on my car for the last 2 years, and never had any issues. Granted, no Tbrake, but putting down a crap ton of power.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Seems like I hear torrington style bearing and chunks through the motor mentioned together a lot, in SBC cam gear applications and such. Maybe they're better now but nothing like a plain bearing for no-worry operation, if the thrust pressures are in check.

Curious to see how the brake plays out for both parties, I think a few months of popcorn are in order :D

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
And you know that all tuners will be doing hours of revisions for free?

"Enlighten" your google search. It's not theory. I don't know the line pressures or maxes. Don't need to. My design doesn't raise the entire transmission pressure. I'm not sure his does. He made mention, I'm saying be careful. Not sure on the cause for concern comment. You don't mind a little engine damage as long as the part was free?

Sorry but not sure why you think I should share because I won't sell it. I only looked into it as a means to an end. I knew once we figured it out others would be trying for it. There's no money in it. Once I sold a few publicly, it wouldn't be long before the plans were leaked. It's so simple most will make their own, not I've been planning to wiki leak that shit for a while. I said it wouldn't always be private. I know I did lol

How are you going to tell me to "enlighten" you on the theory of line pressure to converter and then you act like you know what I mean here?

In the end if it works and it's safe, awesome. The wave wasn't going to last forever.

Ah, I see you have a keen ability to select very specific sentences and words to highlight as your arguments point, so now I will have to be real specific and not talk in generalities so that you can't misconstrue or twist anything. My statement, "Who said anything about charging for a retune?", was meant way earlier in the thread to mean, " Who actually stated that tuning would be required?". Is that better now?
Now about the questions I posed to you so that you could "enlighten" us! Yes, for me they were rhetorical however, I am asking so that you can show us that you fully understand the 6R80's specific application of its function and capacity. Not take information you knew to be true about older platforms and blindly apply them to your arguments.
Of note, your responses with sarcasm and lack of valid information speak volumes. I expect nothing more in your next response than evasive tactics. KenB and 03Steve have both provided the explanation as to why your theory of line pressure is incorrect on this platform.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
I've never seen proof that line pressure IS solely the problem, and many setups survive without a hiccup running full line pressure. People speculate line pressure is the culprit which it can be IF, you don't have adequate trans cooler/line setup for the fluid to exit, non ballooning plate converter, too tight converter spacing. It's easier to blame line pressure, than an improperly built converter, poor install where they did improper clearance for expansion and movement of the converter snout, or an undersized trans cooler setup. If the converter is built correct, it will expand very minimally, and what it does, proper clearance will negate. A proper trans cooler setup will also help keep fluid expansion from heat at bay while allow exit from the converter. So in all, no, line pressure alone will not cause thrust bearing failure.

This^. People even go as far as a specialty input shaft with bleed off openings costing even more money rather than understanding the initial issue.

BV600

Established Member
Hopefully this works and its sorted out soon. Don't want to go back rewiring the nitrous for the T Brake

Deespeed99

Established Member
Ive been pretty mum on this but everyone being a hater on Dustin is an idiot. Like he said many many tuners, vendors & companies in general dont share trade secrets or even charge less, more or not at all for trade secrets. Thats part of life. If you dont like it either figure it out or buy it. If someone else figured this out great, awesome! At the end of the day it was his choice to offer it publically or not. If you didnt like it hit up the service manual like danner did and figure it out...

stangn

Established Member
I'm fine with that but why go on here and else where and shove it in every ones face just to say you cant have it, unless you buy MY TURBO KIT. Keep it to yourself like every one else does.

Deespeed99

Established Member
I'm fine with that but why go on here and else where and shove it in every ones face just to say you cant have it, unless you buy MY TURBO KIT. Keep it to yourself like every one else does.

So I guess Lund racing not tuning any turbo cars other then people who buys their turbo kit isn't the same? :lol::nonono:

It's called marketing and obviously you know nothing about it....

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
So I guess Lund racing not tuning any turbo cars other then people who buys their turbo kit isn't the same? :lol::nonono:

Lund offers tuning to all applications. Why would they tune for the competition though? And where is this information found to be valid? Dustin doesn't offer a transbrake for all applications and then not to his competition, its ONLY for his buyers. How is that the same?:dw: You took a piece of information and twisted it to sound like a valid point. You and Dustin related or just dating?:dancenana:

Deespeed99

Established Member
Lund offers tuning to all applications. Why would they tune for the competition though? And where is this information found to be valid? Dustin doesn't offer a transbrake for all applications and then not to his competition, its ONLY for his buyers. How is that the same?:dw: You took a piece of information and twisted it to sound like a valid point. You and Dustin related or just dating?:dancenana:

Lund offers tuning to all applications that won't compete with his profit margin on his turbo kit is what you mean. JPC tunes all applications including single turbo kits that are not theirs so you statement is invalid. The information is very valid ask Ken himself. I didn't twist anything I stated facts that prove my point. Oh and you can say whatever you want and call names, etc, etc. It really doesn't bother me my point is if you really didn't want to buy a turbo kit and wanted the Tbrake figure it out just like danner did.

Last edited:

N20D5OH

Established Member

Look everyone, it's Robin Hood!

We live in a free market, deal with it. If you don't like it, move.

Maybe Dustin didn't want to put it out to the masses until it was completely tested so if someone ****ed their car up they weren't blaming him. Apparently you don't mind taking that risk. Kudos to you.

KenB

Established Member

It's not for that reason though. We consider it a conflict of interest.

Example:

We try and tune a competitors kit and it has issues. We think it's an issue with the kit. The customer goes back to the turbo company and tells them. What would happen? It would look like we were bad mouthing the kit to make ours seem better. So we made the decision that it would be better to not get involved in tuning any other kits to avoid any drama.

My guess is we will lose more money this way in comparison to how many sales we will pick up for our turbo kit by having this policy. So in this case I don't really considering it marketing.

Including our tuning for free on every single kit purchased is marketing.

Deespeed99

Established Member
It's not for that reason though. We consider it a conflict of interest.

Example:

We try and tune a competitors kit and it has issues. We think it's an issue with the kit. The customer goes back to the turbo company and tells them. What would happen? It would look like we were bad mouthing the kit to make ours seem better. So we made the decision that it would be better to not get involved in tuning any other kits to avoid any drama.

My guess is we will lose more money this way in comparison to how many sales we will pick up for our turbo kit by having this policy. So in this case I don't really considering it marketing.

Including our tuning for free on every single kit purchased is marketing.

Yet that's ok but it's not ok for some one to offer a T-brake with a turbo kit versus to the public? Hmmm ok....

You're logic is flawed because you can have issues with ANY power adder kit. If what you're saying is the case then you shouldn't tune any power adder kit that your shop doesn't install because installation errors can cause issues as well. At the end of the day if the kit has issues it has issues. It's never stopped anyone from tuning Hellion kits...

Users who are viewing this thread