600cc Sportbike for an 18 year old?

600cc Sport Bike for an 18 year old?

• Yes, he should be ok.

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • No, bad idea for an inexperienced rider.

Votes: 72 71.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
you know what i think is worse than a decent 21 year old on a 600cc sportbike with full gear?

a 61 year old on a Harley with just a helmet.

guess whos gonna fall and not get back up?

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I purchased a GSXR new when I turned 18. I had been riding Dirtbikes and ATV's since I was 5. Different levels of experience and maturity are the key factors. It depends on the person.

chromeyellow98

Established Member
18 yrs old...i'd say at the 1st caar full of girls he saw he would kill himself....if he is more mature and responsible he would b ok, but 99% chance he wont...wait another year!

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
If he does decide to get it, tell him to be very careful. I started on a 2005 gixxer 600 and I tell everyone it ISNT a beginner bike. If I could, I would have atleast started on a 250 or 500 but we all like to push it.... why does he want a 600?? To say he has an "R" bike??? thats why I did it, and it isnt worth it. I only ride it like twice a week, but every time I put my leg over the bike and ride off, I think "will I make it home today"??? At 18, Im pretty sure I wouldnt be here to type this, at 24 Im a little more mature but it still doesnt mean the danger isnt there.

Be safe, learn all about throttle control, and ALWAYS wear your gear! Pass this on to him. Good luck........

Termi-Addict

Established Member
I've had my 636 since I was 17 and have been just fine. It's my first street bike but I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 6. I think he will be fine with a year of seat time on the 250.

Edit- I don't mean to sound ignorant but why did you put, "No, not for an inexperienced rider"? If he has a year of seat time that would be experience....

Edit2- I've also never riden without full gear. My parents were concerned so when I bought my bike they took me out and dropped $1800 on name brand gear. Alpinestar jacket, pants, gloves, boots and HJC Carbon helmet.

Last edited:

Quin

Established Member
As previously mentioned, it all depends on the rider. If I get a bike, I'll start out with a liter bike. I got bored riding a 250 my first day, I'm sure a 600 wouldn't take more than a month... Bike only goes as fast as you make it...

But, I'm not at all interested in knee dragging corner carving. I don't even do it in my cars that are 5000x safer. One spot of gravel and your upside down dead in a ditch. Pass. lol

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
18 yrs old...i'd say at the 1st caar full of girls he saw he would kill himself....if he is more mature and responsible he would b ok, but 99% chance he wont...wait another year!

another year means jack shit.

if hes an idiot, hell do stupid shit at 30yo as opposed to 18 or 21yo.

age does not dictate maturity!

like i said, if hes a ****tard, it doesnt matter if you give him a 50, 250, 600 or 1L bike, hell end up the same! If hes mature, he can start out on a 'Busa and be fine. It all depends on the rider!

I want a 'Busa but not cause its 1300cc and its fast, but strangely enough i feel comfortable sitting on one and i like having one exhaust out of each side of the bike (keeps things symetrical IMO, which i like). When i knew nothing about streetbikes, the Hyabusa was the first bike that stood out, even before i knew 1300cc=stupid fast on a freeway. I just want one to have one to ride. I dunno, im a weird but most bikes that have one exhaust on one side look lopsided to me.

03DOHC

Established Member
I want a 'Busa but not cause its 1300cc and its fast, but strangely enough i feel comfortable sitting on one and i like having one exhaust out of each side of the bike (keeps things symetrical IMO, which i like). When i knew nothing about streetbikes, the Hyabusa was the first bike that stood out, even before i knew 1300cc=stupid fast on a freeway. I just want one to have one to ride. I dunno, im a weird but most bikes that have one exhaust on one side look lopsided to me.
I got mine because it was stupid fast and 1340c. :pepper: That I think it looks sweet is just icing on the cake.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
I was 16 when i got mine... what i really wanted was a k6 gixxer 1000 when i was picking up my first one. my view on things at that time was, i have driven a 500 plus rwhp cobra and had plenty of seat time in that, and i def did not want to get onto a slower bike. needless to say, some hick at the bike shop that knew nothing about me had my mom convinced on the fact that a 1000cc bike was too fast plain and simple. he said he would like to get me on a 600, then a 750 when i had proven myself on board a 600, then finally a liter bike when i was good with that. obviously all he gave a **** about was trying to eventually sell me more than one bike. i'm still upset about the fact that i ended up wasting money on a 600 that i really didn't want. anyways, i've had sick dirtbikes, but that was my first streetbike i had ever ridden. i did stupid shit, like i've done in the car... but thats where i gained my know how. i ended up coming into a k7 750 motor for cheap so i threw that into the frame of that bike... had fun with it for a while ****in with people that thought it was a 600cc. i ended up with 7700 miles on the odo before some asshole i knew hopped on board without my permission and decided to park it under a parked car... i had no insurance or anything, so i ate it. that left me off them for a while. i just got a beautiful 08 zx10r recently, and this is a bike. its incredible... and needless to say no fellow riders on this one. i still do retarded ass shit but thats my idea of having fun. unfortunately, i don't get to ride it very often at all... but when i do, i'm practicing some new maneuvers... lol. i handled a bike like that fine at that age but, i did the car also... and most teens cant keep a car on 4 wheels so i wouldnt want to see them throw a leg over a 385lb 100hp machine. i actually attempted to convince a few people that were throwing the idea around to get a bike, not to bother... but they did. with what i've gained from having one i'll tell anybody straight forward that they are nothing special... i would wayyyyyy rather be in the cobra then be on the bike because...
-the cobra can carry passengers... and if you dont have a bike don't try and tell me that you can carry passengers because i've probably done more on the back of one then some have done on the front seat...
-the cobra has AC and heat...
-the bike has no radio...
-the bike you die on a hot day...
-the bike you die on a cold day...
-the visor is constantly going up and down, your eyes either watering or your starving for air...
-they are bothered even more so by the cops...
-the car is more fun to **** around on to me...
-people can **** it up or steal it easily...
-harder to find a good spot to park it...
there isn't too much that i honestly like about bikes... the only damn reason i got the zx10 was the killer deal i got on it... any body looking for a sick bike...? its forsale

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
I had a brand new 02 Mustang Gt when I was in highschool and the stupid things I did in that. I got my Cobra two years later and drove it much more mature. Its amazing what just a few years can do.

chinchilla

Established Member
I almost bought a gsxr 750 awhile ago, would have been MY first bike, I've ridden 600s before though. If he is responsible I say let him have it. I've had fast cars since I was 15 and took my time learning to drive them safely and properly before doing anything stupid. Some people won't do that and that is when bad things happen.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
No arguing with you there.:beer: Although I've never taken my R1 to the track I know if I did I would get spanked by A LOT of guys on their 600s. Plus I'd go easy on my 1 because parts are $$$$$$$ and I wouldn't want to down that thing. When I get more money put together I plan on getting a strictly track 600 so my skills will be more refined as apposed to the on R1.

Hhahaha youd probably get spanked by a few 250s... true story. Its all good though, if you do the track you will never look at your bike and riding the same way again. Forget getting a strickly track bike for now, your R1 is what you comfy on, youll do fine. I have seen busa, zx14, goldwings...etc on the track, run what ya brung and do it! Besides, insurance covers you on the track as well.:beer:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Also, just so yuo dont think I am talking out of my ass. Here is a vid of me at the track. My friend is on the camera bike (05 636)... the camera is mounted to his tank, its pretty cool becuase you can see some of the speeds were doing(i never look at the speedo while on the track). I am on the silver 07 zx6r with black leathers... I pull in front of my friend around 0:43 of the vid. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/36extraccs#play/all/uploads-all/0/3gPCpgoLXxA

Last edited:

MoToCoBrA

Established Member
No one here can say a word. They don't know the kid. If that the way you feel OP then voice your reason and be done with it. I have posted several of my 18 yr old brother’s cars on here. Every time it’s the same shit. He is too young for this or that. The fact remains that he is very mature and a hell of kid. I don't want to say it's jealously but I sure do feel like it sometimes.

s_x_i

Established Member
I've been talking with him about it. I think he's going to keep the 250 for another season, go to some track days and then jump up to a 600 when he's got a bit more seat time under his belt.

I'm not at all averse to him having a 600 at some point, but I think his senior year of highschool is not the best time. Yes, I know it's not my decision, but his dad's in his mid 60's and really has no clue how fast modern street bikes are. I really felt I needed to say something.

The boy is my brother in law, but due to being moved for work, my wife and I have been renting his parents guest house, so we all live on the same property. He's a lot like a little brother to me. It's not as if I'm just trying to be some interfering jerk, I really happen to like the kid.

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I've been talking with him about it. I think he's going to keep the 250 for another season, go to some track days and then jump up to a 600 when he's got a bit more seat time under his belt.

I'm not at all averse to him having a 600 at some point, but I think his senior year of highschool is not the best time. Yes, I know it's not my decision, but his dad's in his mid 60's and really has no clue how fast modern street bikes are. I really felt I needed to say something.

The boy is my brother in law, but due to being moved for work, my wife and I have been renting his parents guest house, so we all live on the same property. He's a lot like a little brother to me. It's not as if I'm just trying to be some interfering jerk, I really happen to like the kid.

I approve that decision. I think he will continually put off upgrading to the a 600 for more trackdays!

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
Hhahaha youd probably get spanked by a few 250s... true story. Its all good though, if you do the track you will never look at your bike and riding the same way again. Forget getting a strickly track bike for now, your R1 is what you comfy on, youll do fine. I have seen busa, zx14, goldwings...etc on the track, run what ya brung and do it! Besides, insurance covers you on the track as well.:beer:

:nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono: Wow, just wow.....

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
:nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono: Wow, just wow.....

explain:nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

EDIT: before I have to hear your shit. Yes a track veteran on a 250 would likely beat a liter bike on a track... 250s can carry nearly the same corner speed as a SS/SB, and newbs have the biggest trouble with cornerspeed/late braking... I have seen it happen. Check WERA lap times for the 250 class... they are fast!

Riding the track is an awesome experience and you will likely never look at your bike the same way again. Riding the street just wont be the same and you will for the first time really get to see how advanced these new bikes are.

Yes I have seen everything from 76 honda CB750s to Honda Goldwings on a race track... if you dont believe me check youtube.

And YES, most insurance companies cover you while on the track as long as it is not a timed event! I know state farm/geico/progressive does. I know people who have collected insurance from a track day crash. They wont cover you for a race, but they will for a track day...its usually considered advanced rider training.

Anything else you need explained? What org do you race with?

I am just telling ssj4sadie to get out on the track sooner rather than later... he wont regret it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread