600cc Sportbike for an 18 year old?

600cc Sport Bike for an 18 year old?

• Yes, he should be ok.

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • No, bad idea for an inexperienced rider.

Votes: 72 71.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh come on dude, your basing my opinion on what I saw in front of my school, it was an example for christ sake, get over yourself. Are you like a pro of some sort that me or anyone else on this forum knows about? And why are you saying I have no idea how much insurance is for on a bike especially a 600cc.

I'm not a pro, but do you know any pros that haven't downed their bike/broken any bones? I think not. Your example is completely irrelavent in this case because you do not know this kid. If youre example is to show there are stupid people out there then you hit the nail on the head. Please tell us though your expierience on bikes/insurance.

He hasent learned yet! 1,500 miles isnt enough.
True, but at least he has a (I'm assuming this) better idea of how to ride a bike. If the 250 was his first ever bike he rode and he has only dropped it twice I would say that isn't too bad. Especially if he has learned from his mistakes.

Also, I always mention riding on the track because alot of people dont think about it, and if they do they might be intimidated to get started with it. I dont think I have ever met a person that has ridden there bike on a road course and has not been hooked! It is an amazing place to learn, very safe, and FULL of knowledge and people who actually know how to ride SS/SB, not just blastem down the highway at 150mph.

And of course all ages can be stupid, but you are in the dark if you think younger kids arent generally capable of being more stupider =)
No arguing with you there.:beer: Although I've never taken my R1 to the track I know if I did I would get spanked by A LOT of guys on their 600s. Plus I'd go easy on my 1 because parts are $$$$$$$ and I wouldn't want to down that thing. When I get more money put together I plan on getting a strictly track 600 so my skills will be more refined as apposed to the on R1.

go on any 600cc bike forum and they will all tell you 600cc bikes aren't for people starting out no matter what the age. they will all say what the other guy is saying "get a 250 and buy track gear"

here is my take on those people. you DONT know the person who you are telling "you cant start out on a 600" i had people talk so much shit to me on 600rr.com because i was going to start out on a 600 even tho i had been on dirtbikes, etc my whole life. guess what, i got a 600 anyway and NEVER dropped it. my insurance at 18 years old and no points was $31/mo for full coverage with $500 deductable. that was on a 04 cbr600rr.

its hard to say if he can handle a 600 or not because none of us know the kid. anyone who says he cant handle a 600 more then likely OWNS a 600 and it gets them off and boost their ego when they tell people a 600 is too big to start on.

the kid has 1500miles experience, if hes smart and doesn't do stupid stuff he will be fine on anything he wants.

QFT

Also I highside on a bike and hit a curb at 50mph+. That resulted in me breaking my left collar bone into 4 pieces and an 8in metal plate/9 screws to put it back together. Well my co-worker was cut off at 30mph and he laid his bike down. He hit a gaurd rail with his body and pretty much became a rag doll. His heart flat lined at the ER 12 times and now has all sorts of metal in his body and is high all the time from the meds he is on. So it doesn't matter 250/600/1000, if you're on the street the shit is dangerous. I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say that more people on bikes die a year then in the wars on terrorism.

Last edited:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
NO!!! You're just begging for trouble. You feel invinsible at that age. You know damn well anyone with a bike like that isnt buying it to cruise around with especially at that age. They buy it because they want to go fast. My Brother is 21 and just bought his first bike over the summer. He wanted a 03/04 Cobra, but decided to get a CBR600-RR instead because its cheaper and faster right out of the box.

You dont buy these bikes to go slow. Nobody does. 18 is just too damn young. I sold my Formula when I was 18 because I realized how ****ing stupid I was with some of the shit I did and how lucky I am to still be here after all the dumb shit I didt. I was fortunate enough to see that before I got into any real trouble. You dont make good decisions at that age...

Hooligan02

We're all full of lies
Established Member
Personally, I would say yes if he had more seat time and miles, but otherwise no. I had an 03 gsxr 750, which is slower than the new 600's, and I was 22 and still rode like an idiot, hence the reason I sold it. Little experience = gonna ride like an idiot. On top of that, when I cruised with friends, we played the who is faster game.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Well I lost 2 friends and my first bike was dropped & wrecked, however, I have many more friends who started off on even 1000CCs as their first bikes when they were 17 & 18 and never got in an accident.

Bikes in general are dangerous, it doesn't matter if you have a Ninja or a Hayabusa, you can kill yourself either way if you aren't responsible.

Blackness03

Established Member
Now, after a track day, when he's on the back roads with his friends, smoking them in the corners on 'his little 250', at that point will they all realize that he's The Man..

yeah, the man in the emergency room

he will be smoking them in the corners up untill that day when there is a deer in the road, rocks, car pulling out etc. then the slower rider wins. this is how people get hurt. they get use to the track, they get use to how well it grips the tires, no danger around the next corner that you cant see etc. then they take that track experience out on the streets where it dont mean shit.

NO!!! You're just begging for trouble. You feel invinsible at that age. You know damn well anyone with a bike like that isnt buying it to cruise around with especially at that age. They buy it because they want to go fast. My Brother is 21 and just bought his first bike over the summer. He wanted a 03/04 Cobra, but decided to get a CBR600-RR instead because its cheaper and faster right out of the box.

You dont buy these bikes to go slow. Nobody does. 18 is just too damn young. I sold my Formula when I was 18 because I realized how ****ing stupid I was with some of the shit I did and how lucky I am to still be here after all the dumb shit I didt. I was fortunate enough to see that before I got into any real trouble. You dont make good decisions at that age...

again.. not true. my buddy who is 19. i ride with him all the time and he rides slower then i do. i'm talking under the speed limit. he started out on a gsxr1000. he really suprised me because hes always been the kid to drive the shit out of everything he has. he got the bike and its almost like hes scared to twist the throttle. i thnk he has got on it once since hes had it and that was at the drag strip

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
again.. not true. my buddy who is 19. i ride with him all the time and he rides slower then i do. i'm talking under the speed limit. he started out on a gsxr1000. he really suprised me because hes always been the kid to drive the shit out of everything he has. he got the bike and its almost like hes scared to twist the throttle. i thnk he has got on it once since hes had it and that was at the drag strip

I'm almost the same way.
When I ride going to school I keep it around, at most, 10 over speed limit(50 55 speed mph limits).
I don't go out on the bike to impress anyone and I sure as hell do not want to be going stupid fast next to people in 2 ton vehicles.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
wife and I just got out licenses and we are in the 26yr old range. Got the wife a little honda rebel 250cc since it's about the only thing she can fit on being the height she is. I'm a sport bike guy on the other hand but I will be waiting until I better with the fundamentals. The most important thing to us and to be honest I haven't heard much in this post is SAFETY! Helmets, boots, gloves, jackets, pants etc...I love watching motogp and superbike racing (Spies and Rossi, hell yeah!) and those guys go faster in the turns than a busa can do in straight line (exaggerating) and when those guys wreck they barely have a scratch on them.

97cobra1

Established Member
wife and I just got out licenses and we are in the 26yr old range. Got the wife a little honda rebel 250cc since it's about the only thing she can fit on being the height she is. I'm a sport bike guy on the other hand but I will be waiting until I better with the fundamentals. The most important thing to us and to be honest I haven't heard much in this post is SAFETY! Helmets, boots, gloves, jackets, pants etc...I love watching motogp and superbike racing (Spies and Rossi, hell yeah!) and those guys go faster in the turns than a busa can do in straight line (exaggerating) and when those guys wreck they barely have a scratch on them.

Quoting this because it's true.

I've got 1500 dollars worth of protective gear hanging in my closet. from boots on up.

But i will say one reason there are far and away less major injury crashes in AMA MotoGP is because a lot of wrecks at that level are low sides. And when you're cranked over an inch from the ground and lose it, you don't have far to fall before you're just sliding. Those suits they wear are in the 1500+ dollar range and are made for high speed friction like 100-120 on your ass.

1993R

Established Member
He needs to check organ donor on his license.

I suggest him going to a road race school for motorcycles and then see how he feels.

afk

Established Member
depends on how responsible he is.

id say a 600 would be fine if he isnt an idiot, in which if he is, hell probably become a red skid just as quick on a 250 as opposed to a 1000+.

+1

I started out on a gixxer 600 with no experience and Im just fine on it. I cant ride it no where near its limits but if your responsible he should be fine. Just respect it. But in the end no one is safe.

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Having owned 6 bikes from the age of 14 I really hate these threads. I wonder sometimes if "SOME" of the ones posting are ones that have never owned a bike in the first place. There are actually two questions that SHOULD have been asked here to get to the answer the OP is looking for.

Question 1-Is the 18 year old an IDIOT. If the answer to this is yes then no bike is required get a Honda with four wheels.
Question 2-How tall is this guy? How much does he weight?

What I hate is when people tell some 6' guy to get a 250 Ninja for his FIRST bike. Great so now he uncomfortable and will outgrow the bike in a week. Learning how to drive a 600 and a 250 is no different if the guy isn't an idiot. And I wouldn't suggest ANYONE start out on anything less than a 600. They make bikes with less CC's???(joke) :bored:

tankerman1981

Established Member
a 600 is the next step but maybe not a "R" bike... something like an in between bike... like a SV 650 or something in that type... those bikes even though a 600cc are extremely powerful these days

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
yeah, the man in the emergency room

he will be smoking them in the corners up untill that day when there is a deer in the road, rocks, car pulling out etc. then the slower rider wins. this is how people get hurt. they get use to the track, they get use to how well it grips the tires, no danger around the next corner that you cant see etc. then they take that track experience out on the streets where it dont mean shit.

I think you misunderstood me.

The purpose of going to the track, is to really learn how the bike responds, and how to respond to the bike, road, and conditions. It is NOT to bring the track onto the streets. But there is a hell of a lot to be said by learning, in a much safer environment, proper control of a bike. Even though a lot of experienced riders are riding fast on the mountain, most of them are doing so by riding under there comfort peak.

For instance, regardless of what bike he's on, if he gets into a corner a little too hot for his experience, he knows to just look and stay calm, but to NOT target fixate and cross the line in the middle of a blind corner. Riding track helps you learn this, and learn the mindset.

And for the most part, most of the people I know who track their bikes, actually slow down on the street. I know I have. Simply because it's just not worth it.

So my point is this: riding on the track makes you a FAR better, safer, controlled, and skilled motorcyclist on the street. But in order be that type of rider, you need the right tools to learn the skills. Anything 600 or above is viciously fast, just too much to really learn on the street without guidance.

The kid needs more skill, not more bike. He can up the bike later.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I think you misunderstood me.

The purpose of going to the track, is to really learn how the bike responds, and how to respond to the bike, road, and conditions. It is NOT to bring the track onto the streets. But there is a hell of a lot to be said by learning, in a much safer environment, proper control of a bike. Even though a lot of experienced riders are riding fast on the mountain, most of them are doing so by riding under there comfort peak.

For instance, regardless of what bike he's on, if he gets into a corner a little too hot for his experience, he knows to just look and stay calm, but to NOT target fixate and cross the line in the middle of a blind corner. Riding track helps you learn this, and learn the mindset.

And for the most part, most of the people I know who track their bikes, actually slow down on the street. I know I have. Simply because it's just not worth it.

So my point is this: riding on the track makes you a FAR better, safer, controlled, and skilled motorcyclist on the street. But in order be that type of rider, you need the right tools to learn the skills. Anything 600 or above is viciously fast, just too much to really learn on the street without guidance.

The kid needs more skill, not more bike. He can up the bike later.

I agree with this post, especially the underlined part. I am the same way... I used to hit the twisties pretty hard on the street. Since I have ridden the track, I dont, I realize how retarded it was to do it in the first place.

To the poster above, 6' people can ride 250r as well... CCS and WERA both have race classes for those bikes and they are ridden by grown men.

I find it interesting when someone makes a post about a kid getting a terminator for his first car 95% of people jump in and say it is insaine, he"ll kill himself, it irresponsible, too much car...etc. Hell, alot of people say no kid should have any NEW car as a first car. BUT when someone makes a thread like this, 50% of people come in and say it is a fine idea. It makes no sense. A SS much faster than a terminator and infinitely more dangerous!

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
2ev6wdw.jpg

^^this thread

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
lots and lots of immature morons on this site :smmon:

I would bet that no one on here would reccomend for this kid to get a ZR1 for his first car. They run about the same times as a newer 600 and are a helluva lot safer. Common sense isn't "common" at all :bash:

bitemark

Established Member
depends on how responsible he is.

id say a 600 would be fine if he isnt an idiot, in which if he is, hell probably become a red skid just as quick on a 250 as opposed to a 1000+.

+100000

all i have to add is that the 2010 cbr's are INSANE looking. Honda went baller status on everyone for the new year

Users who are viewing this thread