6.4 Powerstroke Teardown/Build thread

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Its a ford warranty

From the manufacturer or from the dealership? I'd look close at it. You said your truck is an '09? Was it used or leftover stock?

Nevermind, reread your post. Must have given you the remainder of the factory warranty.

Last edited:

Samsred04gt

Not Banned
Established Member
Im gonna take your guys advice and just get rid of it. Everyone I have taled to says the same thing. **** the warranty.lol. There is a place here that does it truckwurx.com. Whats the best tuner SCT?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If all you want is a tuner, then custom tunes with SCT is generally the cheapest. I recommend Cale @ Tyrant Diesel.

If you want a monitor as well, you could do H&S minimaxx with tunes, Spartan(now offering custom tunes), or do the SCT tuner and whatever monitor you want.

Samsred04gt

Not Banned
Established Member
If I bought a 15 tomorrow I'd have the mods sitting at the house waiting on it to go on the truck.

I should have done it rite away. Honestly I wasn't planning on going diesel cause I didn't think I could afford a newer one but I got my 09 with 39k miles for a real good price so I jumped on it without really knowing anything about them. Are family owned roofing company has always bought basically base 250s cause the trucks take a beating

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the 6.4's get a bad rap because of all the problems that people have had. They also followed up the 6.0, which was a disaster and people were really used to the 7.3 being so damn reliable. I'll bet that a lot of failures can be attributed to the EPA mandated equipment on these trucks.

My failure was from a stuck injector, which may have been caused by poor fuel and filtering at the lift pump, but when I took the heads off, cylinders #7 and #8 looked like they had been chromed. All the rest still had crosshatch marks in them. How much longer could I have gone? Who knows, but I like the idea of not having stuff on the engine that is unnecessary and a burden to the effciency of the engine.

Samsred04gt

Not Banned
Established Member
When it goes in to regent it fills up the street behind me with smoke for about a minute and all the cars have to back up or pull over. Funny that this is for emissions

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
My truck regents and blows white smoke a lot cause I don't drive long distances. I have heard this is not good

No, it's terrible. Every time it regens, it washes down cylinder 7 and 8 with diesel on the exhaust stroke. This is to get diesel into the DPF so it can super heat and clean it. Meanwhile, 7 and 8 are getting no lubrication.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If ask to borrow a bay at the dealership and do it there.

True story, I have been known to install mods in the dealership parking lot before driving off.

I think the 6.4's get a bad rap because of all the problems that people have had. They also followed up the 6.0, which was a disaster and people were really used to the 7.3 being so damn reliable. I'll bet that a lot of failures can be attributed to the EPA mandated equipment on these trucks.

My failure was from a stuck injector, which may have been caused by poor fuel and filtering at the lift pump, but when I took the heads off, cylinders #7 and #8 looked like they had been chromed. All the rest still had crosshatch marks in them. How much longer could I have gone? Who knows, but I like the idea of not having stuff on the engine that is unnecessary and a burden to the effciency of the engine.

All the regen heat bakes those back two cylinders and the turbo. I like how Duramax injects the extra diesel with a ninth injector post turbo.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
True story, I have been known to install mods in the dealership parking lot before driving off.

That's hilarious. Does the service manager look at you funny while you're doing it?

All the regen heat bakes those back two cylinders and the turbo. I like how Duramax injects the extra diesel with a ninth injector post turbo.

I always wondered why Ford didn't do this. Such a better idea.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
And now, if you'll excuse me, the UPS man was here. I have some work to do on my truck.

Stereo_crap.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That's hilarious. Does the service manager look at you funny while you're doing it?

I always wondered why Ford didn't do this. Such a better idea.

Ford didn't do it because it costs money. Same reason they don't paint the 6.7L blocks.

I didn't meet the service manager, but my salesman loved it. It was at Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas. We drove the car from there to CA to install a Whipple.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My truck regents and blows white smoke a lot cause I don't drive long distances. I have heard this is not good

When it goes in to regent it fills up the street behind me with smoke for about a minute and all the cars have to back up or pull over. Funny that this is for emissions

Get that crap off your truck ASAP before it bites you. #1 way to kill a 6.4 is to leave the DPF on.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The last time this device was attached to my truck, I bent a rod. Hopefully I wind up with better luck this year.

A1CA1B4D-C995-4CC1-B743-E44BECD4120C_zpsgfuhafol.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread