6.2 Boss Modular V8

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
what can i say it was a short course 2 laps through. the course was made up in a wash with a bunch of high speed slightly banked 180 degree turns with several small hills and valleys and short whoops section, a jump, and a drying out mud pit filled with soft ruts.

the driver greg foutz i believe one of the drivers that took the r through the baja 1000 was extremely skilled and confident in the truck. he was amazed at the truck ford has built and is offering for retail sales. first stop, was taking all the electronic stability controls off of the truck to let the passengers feel the truck on the dirt, in the turns and to let the truck hand out.
ford spent tons of money on the suspension set up and tons of money on the antilock brakes so that they would work for desert racing. 7 figures for each. it was the 6.2 which made an awesome growl and greg was on the gas from the get go. flying into the turn greg broke hard and late whipping the truck through the hairpin turns on the loose dirt. the gentlemen in the back(ext cab) were amazed at the lack of body roll and the speed of the turns. mild pace through the large whoops and gunned it for the jump. i am guessing 50+ mph and 30+ft through the air with all four wheels off the ground. gunning it again for the second hairpin turn he broke late and hard and whipped the truck through with one steering the truck. went through another turn at a good clip and through drying out muddy he hit the corner hard to take us around again. it was a roller coaster is the best way to describe it. everyone coming off had nothing but great things to say and were filled with awe.

i never felt the truck bottom out. the suspension was always soft but very controlled, great handling and cornering. the brakes were amazing in the dirt. when i brake hard in the dirt with my ranger i always start to slide, this was not the case with the raptor. i will be saving for this truck, 6.2 of course.

thursday through sunday 8 am till dark this week they will be giving raptor rides at barrett jackson. this is the ride i got. if your anywhere near phoenix i suggest you stop by to see feel it for yourself.

Jroc

Established Member
what can i say it was a short course 2 laps through. the course was made up in a wash with a bunch of high speed slightly banked 180 degree turns with several small hills and valleys and short whoops section, a jump, and a drying out mud pit filled with soft ruts.

the driver greg foutz i believe one of the drivers that took the r through the baja 1000 was extremely skilled and confident in the truck. he was amazed at the truck ford has built and is offering for retail sales. first stop, was taking all the electronic stability controls off of the truck to let the passengers feel the truck on the dirt, in the turns and to let the truck hand out.
ford spent tons of money on the suspension set up and tons of money on the antilock brakes so that they would work for desert racing. 7 figures for each. it was the 6.2 which made an awesome growl and greg was on the gas from the get go. flying into the turn greg broke hard and late whipping the truck through the hairpin turns on the loose dirt. the gentlemen in the back(ext cab) were amazed at the lack of body roll and the speed of the turns. mild pace through the large whoops and gunned it for the jump. i am guessing 50+ mph and 30+ft through the air with all four wheels off the ground. gunning it again for the second hairpin turn he broke late and hard and whipped the truck through with one steering the truck. went through another turn at a good clip and through drying out muddy he hit the corner hard to take us around again. it was a roller coaster is the best way to describe it. everyone coming off had nothing but great things to say and were filled with awe.

i never felt the truck bottom out. the suspension was always soft but very controlled, great handling and cornering. the brakes were amazing in the dirt. when i brake hard in the dirt with my ranger i always start to slide, this was not the case with the raptor. i will be saving for this truck, 6.2 of course.

thursday through sunday 8 am till dark this week they will be giving raptor rides at barrett jackson. this is the ride i got. if your anywhere near phoenix i suggest you stop by to see feel it for yourself.

Question. I know you were in the dirt so ofcourse its a little harder to judge how powerful the truck is than just gunning it do the road, but did it feel like it was producing more than the 400hp/400lb-ft that all the stuff you read about it are claiming the 6.2 to be making around?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Question. I know you were in the dirt so ofcourse its a little harder to judge how powerful the truck is than just gunning it do the road, but did it feel like it was producing more than the 400hp/400lb-ft that all the stuff you read about it are claiming the 6.2 to be making around?

extremely hard to tell. i was riding shotgun, so i am sure it felt faster than it was actually going. i was not watching the speedometer. however it did have really nice pull and it always felt very stable, little to no slipping in 4 high. i would wager that it had a good 400hp and 400tq. though as you say it is hard to tell, on dirt in 4 high, and a heavy truck rolling on 35 12.5's.

judging by what dbk said about modding the truck n/a i would say its very easy to get power out of this engine. someone also mentioned huge heads, big enough to go 4 valve if one wanted!:bowdown: dont know the accuracy of this statement though.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
You probably couldn't tell what the stock engine would be anyways since often times the development mules run a bit hotter than their production counter parts.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Thanks for the good review!! I've been scowerin the internet just lookin for pics and you got to ride in one!! Jealous, just a little. Not gonna lie.

I own a slightly modded Lightning and would LOVE to own a Raptor!! I havent heard any rumors about the price, but I'm kinda scared of what the bottom line would be.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Thanks for the good review!! I've been scowerin the internet just lookin for pics and you got to ride in one!! Jealous, just a little. Not gonna lie.

I own a slightly modded Lightning and would LOVE to own a Raptor!! I havent heard any rumors about the price, but I'm kinda scared of what the bottom line would be.

the price rumors i have heard are 40-45 for the base msrp. with the 6.2 option a couple grand more. ford wants to keep them all(including a fully optioned one) under 50k. keep in mind this is about 5k above a regular fx4 packaged f150. yes its a lot of money but a nicely optioned 250/350 supercrews are selling for near 50k msrp or above. trucks are not cheap.

pricing should be out in feb sometime.

a vid is up....
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzxta9ww9B4"]YouTube - Ford Raptor F-150 Prototype, Ride in the Ruff, Barrett-Jackson 2009, by APInsights.info[/ame]

Last edited:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
^^^^^^
Cool vids. can't help but think that a 4V variant of this engine will make it's way on the next gen Cobra. 7 liters would be nice :beer:

ibismojo

Established Member
What the builder of the Raptor R had to say about the 6.2:

Originally Posted by Greg Foutz View Post
I think you will all be impressed with the 6.2L engine. For the Baja 1000 truck we had a special engine that has 500 HP and a bit over 500 FTLBS. Yes it had special cams and a few things but nothing major. They didnt change stroke or anything like that big. Custom headers and some air tube / air cleaner intake stuff was different. Reality I think you will see these engines produce in the 600's with out bunches of junk. The bottom end looked as good or better then our V-10 stuff. Mains are 4 bolt for the crank and the heads are very nice. They have lots of room for port work and or growth.... Anyway I am no engine expert or anything but I have raced Ford products in the off-road arena for a long time. Thats all I have to say about that.......

fordification

Established Member
what guy? the guy from the second vid is from hagerty with nothing to do with ford. the driver of the truck is greg, he is also not with ford. he is a race truck driver. and a damn good one if i must say!

they should've had greg for the introduction to the bidding. he had the technical information down pat.

duomaxwell

Established Member
well this is kinda disipointing, ford states in the fine print that the 400hp number is achived using E85 wich is reqierd (god I know spelled so many things wrong just now lol)

Ford Vehicles

EDIT: go to the engine pop up and read the fine print at the botom.

Users who are viewing this thread