6.2 Boss Modular V8

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
i have heard something about a truck variant of the dohc 5.0 making 360hp and 400tq for the f150 with the f250 getting the 6.2 as a replacement for the v10.

Thats still the latest. 6.2 is SuperDuty for now.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I just don't see it as a great replacement for the V10, but it would put the SD in line with with the offerings from GM and Dodge.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I just don't see it as a great replacement for the V10, but it would put the SD in line with with the offerings from GM and Dodge.

Power isn't too far off.
Packaging isn't really an issue in the SD's.
Weight perhaps?
Save on assembly costs, as you've got 2 less cylinders!
Perhaps the 5.0 will share heads/rods/pistons?
Gas mileage should improve.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
DI and some of the VCT technologies (which weigh heavily on fuel econ and performance) could also be a big reason. They may have just been too costly to re-engineer into the v10.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
DI and some of the VCT technologies (which weigh heavily on fuel econ and performance) could also be a big reason. They may have just been too costly to re-engineer into the v10.

I know the 6.2L isn't DI and I don't think it has VCT but I could be wrong on that one.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I know the 6.2L isn't DI and I don't think it has VCT but I could be wrong on that one.

It very well might not have it from the start, but I would assume it's definitely engineered for it. Both those technologies are the future for gas engines, so Ford would be retarded not to design it in.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
It very well might not have it from the start, but I would assume it's definitely engineered for it. Both those technologies are the future for gas engines, so Ford would be retarded not to design it in.

It's not from the most reliable source but I've heard of the idea of having the injector and spark plug being a single part, therefore you could retrofit DI to older engines or any sort. It's a great idea if someone can come up with parts small enough to make it possible and electronics that wouldn't get confused running side by side. I don't know enough about VCT to have any idea what would need to be designed in from the beginning to make a retrofit possible. I will agree that they should design it from the start to accept such things though considering the cost of fuel and such.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I don't think they will have variable cam timing to start out. The first versions will be SOHC 2V motors, with "Cylinder deactivation". But, I couldn't find anything about VCT.

If they made a 3V version, it'd be likely that would have VCT.

I doubt the 4V versions will have VCT also. At least not for a while.

Homer

Jroc

Established Member
So will the regular F150 be getting the 6.2 in 09 or is Ford sticking with the 5.4?

I feel/hope they may eventually. With the power their competitors V8's are making they kind of need to to compete. If some TT V6 becomes the top of the line motor then I'm going to be PO'd, because I love F150's and hate V6's in any kind of performance car or full size truck, I don't care if it turbocharged or not it just is kind of hummm....Gay.

If your worried alot about fuel economy then look at something other than a full-size truck.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I feel/hope they may eventually. With the power their competitors V8's are making they kind of need to to compete. If some TT V6 becomes the top of the line motor then I'm going to be PO'd, because I love F150's and hate V6's in any kind of performance car or full size truck, I don't care if it turbocharged or not it just is kind of hummm....Gay.

If your worried alot about fuel economy then look at something other than a full-size truck.

Economy no. Better performance yes:burnout:

sccaSVT

Waiting for a new 5.0
Established Member
I can't wait to see the first S/C kits for this engine. It won't matter if it's only for the SDs. Lightning owners will be on that setup like a fat kid on cake. :rockon:

qachargh

Established Member
I would be interested to see if the bore spacing and basic block design is similar to the next line of powerstroke diesels Ford will be using. Considering the necessity of cutting costs it makes sense if Ford starts 1st party production of all its diesels instead of just the 4-pot Euro motors. And the best way for them to do this is a common block design similar to the current modular line that just requires material and internal component variance instead of a completely different architecture. Unfortunately that might make the packaging for the smaller F-150 too expensive given their financial crunch. And you can't count out the new CAFE standards whenever Congress decides to send the auto industry back to the '20s. Ford will really have to stretch the economy of the F-150 since that is by far their biggest seller. Don't be surprised to see trucks with the larger motors hit with some sort of Gas-guzzler tax.

blksn8k

Established Member
I think the plan is to offer the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost in the F150. Will give similar if not better performance than the current 4.6L V8 and better fuel economy. The larger V8s will still be available for those requiring towing capacity or more fun, i.e. Raptor. There is also speculation that there will be a 4.4L V8 diesel available in the F150. The next diesel V8 for the Super Duty will be a 6.7L in-house design currently code named Scorpion.

New 2010 Ford 4.4-liter diesel engine scooped! - Autoblog

PickupTrucks.com: Upcoming Ford Scorpion Diesel Said To Have Big Sting

mellor_21

Established Member
lol who wouldnt?

its going to be a new family, they were going to call it hurricane but changed it to boss
hopefully the economy wont screw it up like they did to the z28 maro :(

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Did you jump anything? :rockon:

short off road course at barrett jackson. mainly fast full 180 degree turns with soft drying mud, sand, small rocks. couple rolling hills and a short whoops section with one 50+ mph jump that had all four wheels off the ground. i would guess 30 or so feet through the air. :eek:

it was awesome!:D

Users who are viewing this thread