5w50 in Mod Motor

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Alright, I know there are a lot of threads on motor oil but I have a couple questions specifically about 5w50 and basically any weight over 5w30. First, can anyone show me evidence where 5w50, 10w30 or similar weight has caused an engine failure? Second, why do the 5.4's call for 5w50?

The reason I am asking is because I am running 5w50 and have been for several years without issue. But, because I have read a lot of threads stating it is too thick for the mod motor clearences I am thinking about running a thinner oil.

So, please, someone show me some overwhelming evidence as to why I shouldn't run 5w50. And, I don't mean word of mouth. I want to see an engine that has blown up or something.

The reason I run the thicker oil is because I spun a bearing using 5w20.

Thanks for any info on the subject.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Why don't you contact your local Ford dealer, or look at your owners manual. Your oil viscosity requirements will be different due to Canada's colder climate. The owners manual will have a chart showing which oil to use in each temperature range. I don't think you can go wrong with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Juruense

Banned
Run what the owners manual says to run or something very close. In other words 5W-20 or 5W-30. Do not concern yourself with the oil for the 5.4 since you have a 4.6

AMB

Established Member
If you have a "STOCK" motor and don't run it hard, a 5w30 oil would be "OK" !!! BUT, if you MOD it, you NEED the 5w50 oil for PROTECTION at HIGH temps/loads.:thumbsup:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If you have a "STOCK" motor and don't run it hard, a 5w30 oil would be "OK" !!! BUT, if you MOD it, you NEED the 5w50 oil for PROTECTION at HIGH temps/loads.:thumbsup:

It will not flow properly in the 4.6 mod motor. You will get oil starvation in very critical areas.

-Jeff

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I am going to be switching to 5w30. I think the issue with the first engine is that there was not enough oil in the engine. Just over 7quarts should do it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I am going to be switching to 5w30. I think the issue with the first engine is that there was not enough oil in the engine. Just over 7quarts should do it.

No. 6.5 quarts.

twhitey

Established Member
I run 6 and 3/4 to make it to the full mark. I use 5 20 because thats what the cap says.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
7 is OK, but is only necessary during extreme road course events IMO, where the oil tends to slosh around in the pan a whole lot. Any more than 7 in the stock pan is way to much. 6.5 is the sweet spot for a street driven Cobra.

TermySnake

Established Member
The oil cap says 5w-20, so stick with it. no need to go that far.. jeez! some the guys here are running 5w-30 with no problem.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
As we've seen in other oil threads our motors have A LOT of oil stuck up in the heads when your on the throttle, even if you fill with 7 only about 5 are gonna be in the pan when you banging through the gears so there is ZERO issues with oil on the crank! 6.5-7.0 is always better than 6!

Users who are viewing this thread